SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended? Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended?

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on whether or not it senses that the battery is fully-charged and then shuts off. If it does not, then you're risking damage. The instruction manual should tell you if you have the right one.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What Newt said. Mine will allow me to and I've had it plugged in for more than 2 weeks at a time.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Depends on whether it's an "on all the time" trickle charger, or a smart charger (like a Deltran Battery Tender) that only kicks itself on when battery drops below a certain voltage.

With the latter, it's no issue. With the former, it's not the best thing for the battery. Will it destroy the battery? Probably not unless it's an old weak battery. It could lessen the life of the battery a little though. Could it negatively affect electronic components in the car? That I couldn't answer.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm considering connecting the Battery Tender to a timer. Apply power to the BT every Mon&Tues (for example) then off the rest of the week.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
...a smart charger...

That's the term I was trying to remember when I was writing my response. Here's one from Sears Automotive:
http://www.sears.com/diehard-s...ockNo=5&blockType=G5

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm considering connecting the Battery Tender to a timer. Apply power to the BT every Mon&Tues (for example) then off the rest of the week.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have six Deltran Battery Tender Plus units connected to a power strip which is plugged into a 7-day timer. It runs for 18 hours every Tuesday. Been working well for me for several years that way.

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool. Good to know.

Wow, 6.....?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Probably, but I wouldn't.

Is there really a battery that is so sensitive that it can't take 2wks of sitting?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Cool. Good to know.

Wow, 6.....?

Well, yeah. I have a thing about motorcycles.

posted Hide Post
My Dad keeps a battery tender plugged into his Lexus convertible all winter with no issues

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I leave mine on all winter for the yard tractor and motorcycle and snow blower all summer with no issues. All of those batteries are gel type batteries with a chip in them for added protection.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A "battery tender" brand battery maintainer won't hurt anything. I leave a vehicle on one for months at a stretch.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I leave a battery tender connected to my mustang and boat batteries whenever they are not being used, which means all winter long and 90% of the rest of the year. No issues.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I had a Battery Tender and I think they can over charge the battery and reduce the battery life.
I just take my batteries out of the vehicle, clean them up of any acid residue on the case, and charge them once a month.

When they get weak for vehicle use, I use them on my lawn tractors since the starting current required is a lot less.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Battery tender does wonders for my atv that really only gets used to plow in the winter. The $100 battery it requires used to only last 6 months but now it's going on 2 years and good as new.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Battery Tender. My last bike battery lasted three years, which is good for a BMW.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Corvette is on a Battery Tender whenever it isn't being driven. 6+ months over Winter.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a battery tender in the winter on my M3.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I keep one on my Ferrari 24X7 (except of course when I drive it further than my extension cord Smile

won't hurt it at all

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post