SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?)
Page 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 ... 297
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not in my glass tonight...but I just got back from an Uncle Sugar sponsored trip to Kosovo. The native alcohol in the region is "Raki" which is distilled from various fruits including grapes so kinda like Brandy.

Had a meeting in Serbia with our Serb Army counterparts and one of them, a Major, distills his own and served it to us at lunch. He made it from plums and aged it a bit with some oak staves...it was very good!

Since I home-brew we talked a bit about that as well as his Raki making process, he told me "we will get along just fine!" Agreed!

I bought some at the duty free shop to take home, a small bottle I bought made in Turkey has anise seeds in it so it tastes like licorice...I don't care for that at all and missed that on the label! The 750ml bottle I bought made in Kosovo from grapes aged in oak for 5 years had no such abomination in it and is pretty good. Not as good as a decent Cognac, but not bad either.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Not in my glass tonight...but I just got back from an Uncle Sugar sponsored trip to Kosovo. The native alcohol in the region is "Raki" which is distilled from various fruits including grapes so kinda like Brandy.

Had a meeting in Serbia with our Serb Army counterparts and one of them, a Major, distills his own and served it to us at lunch. He made it from plums and aged it a bit with some oak staves...it was very good!

Since I home-brew we talked a bit about that as well as his Raki making process, he told me "we will get along just fine!" Agreed!

I bought some at the duty free shop to take home, a small bottle I bought made in Turkey has anise seeds in it so it tastes like licorice...I don't care for that at all and missed that on the label! The 750ml bottle I bought made in Kosovo from grapes aged in oak for 5 years had no such abomination in it and is pretty good. Not as good as a decent Cognac, but not bad either.

Raki as I’ve had it (in Turkey) was grape based, and anise flavored, much like Ouzo. Never forget an event with the Turkish Navy during a port visit in Istanbul (late 1980s).

Plum-based liquors in central-eastern Europe, I’d think would be “slivovitz” - but apparently also called Raki in the balkans.

Thank you Dad, for traveling Europe and bringing back all flavors of high-test booze.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Stiegl Gold, a lager from Austria. The best beer that I know of.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JW Green 15 yo. Smooth and tasty blend of single malts only.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Redbreast cask strength neat with a few drops of chilled water to ward against the chill from the snowstorm outside.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Diet Dr. pepper

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Celebrating the rain, lightning, and thunder with the Whistler 10 Yr whiskey and wind-blown Texas rainwater!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Well, it’s Saturday evening, and DST ends shortly, so an extra hour of sleep. A sound reason for an extra glass of Dow’s 10 yo Tawny Port, IMO. It’s VERY fine wine.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Miller Lite with some Crown. Happy daylight savings time!

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Aberlour 18 yr. old single malt
Like sipping butterscotch...

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:

Not so keen on butterscotch. Don’t have a sweet tooth.

Serious about crackers

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:

Not so keen on butterscotch.

Smoooooth………………………………..

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2016 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knob Creek small batch bourbon......tasty!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
A Big Boi tall boy,

Because its "cooler than a polar bear's toenails" it says so on the can Razz

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Not yet evening but I had a few early drams after cleaning the balconey because of a thunderstorm and then freezing temps walloping the plumerias, peppers, and papayas. So after a hot shower... Weller, Whistler 10 Yr, Ledaig 13 Yr Amantillado, and Mello Corn BiB. The plan is to set aside the whiskies soon and then bake romanian Pasca bread this evening...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Same as usual, Water. Boring.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sipping an Ithaca Beer Co. 4th Quarter Porter. Pretty damned good. I only bought it because my brother went to Ithaca College and my mom went to Cornell, added to the fact that I like porters, but I'm glad I did.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harpoon Winter Warmer ale. Bet it would be good to simmer a bit of beef for chili or a stew in, as well as drink.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

In a Dingle Crystal “Beehive Roly Poly” - looks like this

Both are highly recommended. The glass is perfect, and the pattern makes for good grip and aesthetic pleasure.

https://www.dinglecrystal.ie/p...poly-beehive-design/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post