SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?)
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 298
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?) Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Balblair'99

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Ater the banana bread goes into the oven, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. And some leftover Kahlua.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Jameson. Neat.

Posts: 142 | Location: Oregon | Registered: May 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Gordon's gin and cherry 7up. I have no idea how that started...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Elijah Craig barrel strength.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tito's vodka and Zing Zang Bloody Mary mix.

"Politics is to Philosophy as Engineering is to Science."

Posts: 183 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Redhook No Equal Blonde. Refreshing.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Support Your Local
Red and Black
Picture of Snidely Whiplash
posted Hide Post
Iced decaf tea. The meds limit my alcohol intake.

I did take a sip of this in honor of the Woodford Reserve kitty:

Posts: 4695 | Location: Up Shit Creek (it's better tha DOWN it) | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Old Chub nitro Scottish ale

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Lagunitas Maximus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
Macallan 12 year with a splash of water

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
Springbank 15. Cool

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badkarma56:
Springbank 15. Cool

-BK

I never made it down to Cambeltown, but did hit up a few decent distilleries:

Dalwhinnie
Edradour
Glengoyne
Talisker
Glenmorgie
The MacAllan
The Balvenie
Glenrothes
Aberlour
Oban
Dalmore
Glenfarclas

A few things I took away:
Once you have been on 3 tours, you can officially lead one.
The same jokes are commonly shared between all tour guides.
The barrel is essentially the most important part.
Some distilleries have resorted to artificial flavors and colors.
Almost nobody malts their own Barley.

That said, Talisker was a big disappointment, Glenfarclas is still family owned, one man's 10 is another man's 2 (scale reference), Speyside has more distilleries than the red light district has hookers, and some of the best whisky comes from distilleries you have never heard of.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:

I never made it down to Campbeltown, but did hit up a few decent distilleries:

Dalwhinnie
Edradour
Glengoyne
Talisker
Glenmorgie
The MacAllan
The Balvenie
Glenrothes
Aberlour
Oban
Dalmore
Glenfarclas

A few things I took away:
Once you have been on 3 tours, you can officially lead one.
The same jokes are commonly shared between all tour guides.
The barrel is essentially the most important part.
Some distilleries have resorted to artificial flavors and colors.
Almost nobody malts their own Barley.

That said, Talisker was a big disappointment, Glenfarclas is still family owned, one man's 10 is another man's 2 (scale reference), Speyside has more distilleries than the red light district has hookers, and some of the best whisky comes from distilleries you have never heard of.

Excellent, 280nosler, I'd say that was a successful trip! Big Grin

I totally know what you mean regarding the commonality of distillery tour guides. I suppose that's bound to happen in such a close-knit industry.

It's a pity that many whisky brands have elected to add artificial ingredients to their products. Personally, I avoid those brands and stick with the tried and true. The big-name distilleries are notorious for adding things to their whisky in order to have more "mass appeal." I reckon that's fine and dandy, but my preference is for non chill-filtered whisky, typically from either Springbank or Laphroaig, with no artificial additives. Peaty and smoky aromas are quite welcome. Additionally, I also really enjoy cask strength expressions from those same distilleries.

FWIW, Springbank is one of the very few remaining distilleries left in Scotland that performs every single step in the whisky production process (i.e., from malting their own barley right down to bottling the resultant whisky). This is one major reason that I enjoy their whisky so much and recommend it to those who possess a similar palate and preference for full-flavored, traditional whisky. Wink

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Pyramid Outburst Imperial IPA. Boxed up the whole business today and helped move 90% of it across the Puget Sound and up a flight of stairs. The heavy stuff goes tomorrow. Short weekend. Wife on baby duty. Beer night for sure.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
O'dell's 90 Shilling Ale, and Lagunitas Maximus.