SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?)
Page 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 298
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?) Login/Join 
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Wild Turkey 101. Lots of it. I'm tying one on.

I'm depressed for lots of personal reasons.

Catch y'all later.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

Laphroaig 10. I'll be honest, I prefer it to the 18. More smokey and less salty.

You should give the cask strength ten-year-old a try if you haven't already. I reckon that you'd enjoy it. Wink

Do you drink old whisky often? Older spirits (say, 15 to 16 years-old and up) are a little more challenging/complex than their younger counterparts. The extra time spent in the wood often makes older expressions a little more subdued and "closed" at the beginning. Accordingly, mature whiskies truly do benefit from a patient approach.

FWIW, I'll typically let an older whisky breathe for a spell before really assessing the quality of the dram. My rule of thumb is to allow the spirit to breathe for about 1 to 2 minutes for every year that it spent maturing in the cask. As such, I won't really "bear down" on a dram of Laphroaig 18 until the spirit has spent at least 20 to 30 minutes sitting in the glass. Sometimes, I'll wait even longer for really old expressions that I occasionally come across. Mind you, I don't just sit there and watch the whisky for the entire interval; I'll have a wee taste every ten minutes or so in order to note the gradual changes in aroma, flavor, finish, etc. YMMV with different distilleries and/or expressions.

If I'm not in the mood to wait on my dram, I'll simply pour myself a younger expression (12 years-old and younger). Normally, younger whisky doesn't need to breathe for very long at all in order to acquit itself.

Additionally, if you're the type who likes to add water to your whisky, be very judicious with older whiskies. Do not "drown" old whisky, that's a sin! Needless to say, absolutely no ice. Be patient and allow mature drams to breathe and develop in the glass. The payoff is definitely worth it, IMHO. Cool

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post

Taste test: Glenlivet 21 v. Highland Park 18 v. Hakushu 18.

Tried Highland Park and Hakushu against the tried and true favorite The Glenlivet 21.

Nose: Glenlivet gives you a fruity nose, but bit subdued. Highland Park 18 is definitely smokiest on the nose, a bit pungent. Hakushu was somewhat in between, no smoke to be discerned and I thought I caught a very little bit of peat but that could be my imagination as it was so very faint.

Taste: Glenlivet on the tongue was the familiar spicy, tingly taste, very smooth swallowing. Highland Park continued with the smoke, a bit of maybe cinnamon. Hakushu was in comparison a bit subdued with a bit of woodsy or leathery mouth. It was definitely fuller in the mouth feeling as compared to the other 2.

After adding 2 drops of water: Glenlivet's nose opened up just a little more to give a bit of flower. Taste was more of the same, fruity and smooth. Highland Park gave off even more smoke on the nose. The taste was still very smoky. You know you're drinking Scotch as popularly imagined. Hakushu had a bit more fruity nose after the water. The woodsiness on the taste was subdued and a little bit of peat seemed to creep in. Very pleasant to the taste.

The Glenlivet as compared to the other 2 nosed and tasted somewhat damped of subdued as compared to the other 2. Still smoother than the other 2, and I really enjoy the tingling on the tongue that this Whisky gives me.

Because of that I give a very very slight edge to the Glenlivet over the other 2 but it is really slight. On different night Hakushu just might edge it out.

Highland Park came in last not because it was bad Whisky, just not as well rounded or balanced as the other two. It felt "all smoke" as compared to the other 2. Drinking it by itself I didn't particularly noticed the extra smoke, but with the other 2 comparing themselves against the Highland Park, the HP tasted little bit out of balance.

Interesting side note: Tasting side by side, unless I am looking at the labels I would be hard pressed to tell which is Glenlivet and which is Hakushu. However, the tasting notes are different enough, both on the tongue and the fullness in the mouth.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Makers 46.

Ran out of Angels Envy and Crown Reserve and the discount liquor store had already closed.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badkarma56:
quote:

Laphroaig 10. I'll be honest, I prefer it to the 18. More smokey and less salty.

You should give the cask strength ten-year-old a try if you haven't already. I reckon that you'd enjoy it. Wink

Do you drink old whisky often? Older spirits (say, 15 to 16 years-old and up) are a little more challenging/complex than their younger counterparts. The extra time spent in the wood often makes older expressions a little more subdued and "closed" at the beginning. Accordingly, mature whiskies truly do benefit from a patient approach.

FWIW, I'll typically let an older whisky breathe for a spell before really assessing the quality of the dram. My rule of thumb is to allow the spirit to breathe for about 1 to 2 minutes for every year that it spent maturing in the cask. As such, I won't really "bear down" on a dram of Laphroaig 18 until the spirit has spent at least 20 to 30 minutes sitting in the glass. Sometimes, I'll wait even longer for really old expressions that I occasionally come across. Mind you, I don't just sit there and watch the whisky for the entire interval; I'll have a wee taste every ten minutes or so in order to note the gradual changes in aroma, flavor, finish, etc. YMMV with different distilleries and/or expressions.

If I'm not in the mood to wait on my dram, I'll simply pour myself a younger expression (12 years-old and younger). Normally, younger whisky doesn't need to breathe for very long at all in order to acquit itself.

Additionally, if you're the type who likes to add water to your whisky, be very judicious with older whiskies. Do not "drown" old whisky, that's a sin! Needless to say, absolutely no ice. Be patient and allow mature drams to breathe and develop in the glass. The payoff is definitely worth it, IMHO. Cool

-BK

Lots of great advice! I have a dram 3-4 times a week, but not more than one a sitting. Very much a novice. I mostly drink it neat, but on rare occasion cut with some water. I don't have a good idea of how much water is too much.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lots of great advice! I have a dram 3-4 times a week, but not more than one a sitting. Very much a novice. I mostly drink it neat, but on rare occasion cut with some water. I don't have a good idea of how much water is too much.

Anytime, man. Enjoy the journey. Wink

As for watering your whisky, that all comes down to personal preference and palate. FWIW, I'll occasionally add a drop or two of room temperature spring water to a cask strength expression, but I most often have my whisky neat.

Take it slow with the water, only add a little bit at any one time to your dram. Additionally, give the whisky and any added water a bit of time to "marry" in the glass. Observe how the added water alters the body, aroma and flavor of the whisky. Get your nose in there, dude.

You'll eventually figure out how much water, if any, you prefer in a given dram. There's no universal rule for this.

-BK

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
Springbank Longrow Red 11 (Cabernet Sauvignon Finish). Cool

-BK

More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
George Dickel 12. The other Tennessee whisky.

C+. It's okay. Not something I'd buy again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ian111,

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
I have had quite the week. One local store received their barrel selection Old Weller Antique. Today, my usual store received their barrel selection of Eagle Rare along with a full compliment of Buffalo Trace products beyond the norm. I finally have a bottle of Weller 12 year. A lovely whiskey for $30.

Posts: 286 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elijah Craig 12 yr.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Ken-in-Tucky | Registered: June 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Stone Saison looks like I could use the head on this beer as shaving cream.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Soon to be some Johnnie Walker Blue neat!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post
Some blended red with a rib eye for dinner. Either Firestone Walker Sucaba, or Four Roses Small Batch later.

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
GA Gator,

That's some damn good head you got yourself there! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Dark Lord! Holy shit!

Anyway, cracked open a Widmer Old Embalmer barleywine from 2013.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Dark Lord! Holy shit!

Anyway, cracked open a Widmer Old Embalmer barleywine from 2013.

Have you had ?

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Nope. Dark Lord is a Bigfoot Unicorn if you don't go to Dark Lord day.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Ketel One this evening. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post