SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?)
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 298
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?) Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Maisel's Weisse Dunkel. First time I've tried it and it good but not weihenstephaner good.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Tonight, while I help my wife get ready for the onslaught of three kids with their spouses, and 5 grand kids... chopping stuff and setting up tables etc... I'm having a Sam Adams. Once we're done, I don't know if I'll have scotch or just shower and got to bed. Bed sounds good.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
good but not weihenstephaner good.

Nothing ever is. Wink

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
A colleague that was here from Austria goes home this weekend and couldn't take his booze with him, so he gave me a couple mayflowers and a bomber of Wailing Wench. My god is this stuff good. 8%, pretty hoppy but a ton of raisin flavor is what I get. Really good beer.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DYNAMITE
THE PASSES!
Picture of Solitar
posted Hide Post
The usual -- Georgia Moon.

and then Yukon Jack.

The right to keep and bear arms, military arms, shall not be infringed -- period!

Posts: 10723 | Registered: May 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maisel's Weisse Dunkel. First time I've tried it and it good but not weihenstephaner good.

WHERE'D YOU GET MAISEL'S?!?!?!

I had that in Austria but cannot find it anywhere stateside.

If whoever you got Maisel's from also has Edelweiss (the light and the dunkel) try that. Best beer I have ever had.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gspdude
posted Hide Post
Great Lakes Christmas Ale.

Posts: 544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ian111:
First time trying Makers Mark. Meh. It's okay. I don't understand why it is so popular. I couldn't find anything distinctively good about it.

It is one of just a few wheated bourbons out there, and just about the only one that is readily available. The wheat and, therefore, lack of rye, make it a sweet expression with less of the floral and peppery notes that rye contributes and more of a nutty flavor from the wheat.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Russells Reserve.

Not bad.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
quote:

WHERE'D YOU GET MAISEL'S?!?!?!

I had that in Austria but cannot find it anywhere stateside.

If whoever you got Maisel's from also has Edelweiss (the light and the dunkel) try that. Best beer I have ever had.

1410 Bier Haus in Calgary. Waitresses and bar tenders are hot too and wear little black cocktail dresses.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
good but not weihenstephaner good.

Nothing ever is. Wink

The men and women of weihenstephaner have figured out a thing or two in the 1000+ years of brewing

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Founder's Dark Penance.

The West'er Vitus was voted the best beer in the world. Lagunitas and West'er did a collaboration called Doppelweizen. IMO, that truely was the Best Beer of All Time. The taste of Vitus has changed and is somewhat like the Doppelweizen now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
First time trying Makers Mark. Meh. It's okay. I don't understand why it is so popular. I couldn't find anything distinctively good about it.

It is one of just a few wheated bourbons out there, and just about the only one that is readily available. The wheat and, therefore, lack of rye, make it a sweet expression with less of the floral and peppery notes that rye contributes and more of a nutty flavor from the wheat.

True but there was a harshness that was unpleasant and got in the way of the flavor. I can drink Buffalo Trace and Bulleit neat and swish them in my mouth take my time to really appreciate their characters, though I prefer a teaspoon of water. Even with water Makers was a bit unpleasant and I found myself swallowing it down faster than usual. I'll try it again one day.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

True but there was a harshness that was unpleasant and got in the way of the flavor. I can drink Buffalo Trace and Bulleit neat and swish them in my mouth take my time to really appreciate their characters, though I prefer a teaspoon of water. Even with water Makers was a bit unpleasant and I found myself swallowing it down faster than usual. I'll try it again one day.

And see I go the other way with those choices.
I can drink Makers Mark and enjoy it WAY too much.
While Bullet & Buffalo Trace taste only a little better than Jack Daniels Old No.7

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fresh apple cider from a local farm!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Johnnie Walker Blue

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gau-8
posted Hide Post
Rare Eagle neat.

Posts: 90 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was me yesterday after Thanksgiving lunch. My poor, yet supremely delicious Lagavulin 12 became empty =(

I opened a Lagavulin 16 to help cope with my loss.

I did get a few bottles in the mail this week though.

I am a Kilchoman fanatic. Youthful spirits but damn is it good. The 2007 Vintage is their best stuff yet and it's great stuff. I am going to share the rest of my opened bottle with my friends next time we have a tasting. The other 3 bottles are the 2nd through 4th edition 100% Islay, which uses barley they grew at Rockside Farms where the distillery is located.

The trend continues lol. Only 6000 bottles of the Port Cask were made available. 110 proof and only 3 years old. I haven't opened this one yet but it's the next one on deck. The Red bottle was aged in a bourbon cask for 4 1/2 years and finished for 2 months in a sherry butt. I'm expecting great things for this one.

The Young Bladnoch is bottled at 123 proof, and young so I'm expecting this one to be a bit rough. The Signatory bottle is the next up in our group tasting. 15 year 9 month old Laphroiag aged in a Sherry Butt bottled at 118 proof. Really tempted to open this one and keep for myself and order another bottle.

The Bruichladdich is similar to the 100% Islay edition in that the barley was also grown at Rockside farm, but the rest of distillation process happened at their distillery.

Last up was the 2014 Loch Garm, which has been opened and is fantastic. Briney, seaweed, fruity, and ashy smoke.

Scotch is fun.

I'm a deplorable.

Posts: 671 | Location: Fargo ND | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Finishing up the 6 pack of Hacker-Pschorr Weisse (which was the only decent German beer available at the liquor store near my parents' house).

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
https://www.blantonsbourbon.co...ginal_single_barrel#

a few pulls last night, tonight the outlaws are coming for dinner so a few more.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post