SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What I did with my useless front license plate bracket
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What I did with my useless front license plate bracket Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
I know there are some car enthusiasts here so I figured I would share. I recently bought another Z4 that had the front license plate bracket installed. I live in NC where no front plate is needed. I am not a fan of the euro plates. I considered the hole plugs but they also look out of place. I decided to order a custom steel plate from www.licenseplates.tv. I have seen cars with color matching plates before and I always thought it looked cool. I like that you really have to look to see what it says. Otherwise it just looks like a blank black plate. These are stamped plates with embossed letters. These are great for replica plates for classic cars. They can make just about any design.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That's pretty slick. Well done.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Cool idea.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is way kool! I might have to think about that. Hmmmmmmmm......

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Very Nice

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
pretty cool, I wonder what the cops would do if you were to just use one of the old style plates they have, with the correct number/sticker for the car it was on.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome Dusty.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
pretty cool, I wonder what the cops would do if you were to just use one of the old style plates they have, with the correct number/sticker for the car it was on.

Typically if there are no front plate requirements, you can put whatever you want up front. I am in GA with an expired AZ plate from a different vehicle with no issues. Haven't even had any issue with this setup in states that had front plate requirements (passing through, not living in).

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 2 plate state. Sucks, as this looks like a cool little custom touch.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who special ordered a Nissan 350Z Nismo. He lives in a one plate state. He was not to happy when his car finally arrived, and noticed the dealer had drilled out the bumper to install their dealer plate.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I had a friend who special ordered a Nissan 350Z Nismo. He lives in a one plate state. He was not to happy when his car finally arrived, and noticed the dealer had drilled out the bumper to install their dealer plate.
Yeah, not something I would accept if I special ordered it to NOT have a front bracket.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I went on eBay and found an antique (1960's) AZ roadrunner plate for my front:

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hm...kinda cool.

I live in a state where the front plate has to exist unless it's impractical to mount one. I'd need an undrilled bumper cap and a complete front end respray for that to happen. My wallet hurts just thinking about it.

I can live with the front plate.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

No way I'm taking delivery of that car, special order or not.

What an idiotic move on the part of the dealership. Yeah, go ahead and drill holes in my bumper so I can advertise for you.

One of the first things I do is remove anything with a dealer name or logo on it. Other than me not advertising for you, good or bad experience, I think it looks tacky.

It'd be like if Bud's put stickers on the slides of their guns we bought and we leave them on to advertise for them. No thanks.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like it, especially the muted monochromatic aspect.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. We’ll see how the bugs like it Wink

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised your dealer had the front plate brackets installed.

I'm in CA which is a two plate state BUT if the car came with no front brackets installed, then you don't have to put the front license plate. When I bought my Lexus GS350, it didn't have the front brackets installed.

Unfortunately, I ended up getting a teaching job inside an Air Force base which made me have to put on the front plate.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised you didn’t go with a Euro plate. There are a few companies out there who will make a custom plate that looks damn real. You can even buy holographic stickers for the plate from different areas to make them look even more legit.

I got one for my minivan. Cool Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21103 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In CA the dealer will drill out your bumper and mount a plate unless you sign a waiver saying you take liability for not having one. Problem is most cars on the lot they have already performed this service on. Yeah beautiful nice new sports cars among others with 2 big holes drilled in the front, looks gawd awful. My truck has a factory bracket for a front plate

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post