SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    National Solar Observatory evacuated by FBI, no one knows why
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National Solar Observatory evacuated by FBI, no one knows why Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Have they blamed Trump yet?

Fastest way to get a thread shut down on Sig Forum? Post an ad in classifieds that is posted somewhere else.

Second fastest? Insert politics into a non-political thread.

Just sayin'

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I found this article. I’m not sure it explains much, but it’s an interesting theory.

quote:
UPDATE 9/12/18 4PM PST The issue may be related to Mercury (the metal, not the planet). On a tip from a science journalist friend who covers telescopes and who has been there, I verified the observatory uses a vat of liquid mercury as a float bearing for the giant solar telescope. According to an internal NSO/NMSU document, that bearing is “high-risk” during maintenance. If there was a major mercury spill, it might explain why the Feds are there, with FBI providing security. The amount of Mercury is said to be in the “tens of gallons” range, which is next to impossible to come by in the commercial market these days, and if it were weaponized, it would make a very nasty dirty bomb. Perhaps there’s some security issue with the mercury on-site.

And to think, I used to play with that stuff as a kid. Maybe that’s the reason I have...never mind.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
That is a very fluid cover story.
And could be shaped to fit nearly anything that rolls up against it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You sir have quite the silver tongue.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Rotating pools of mercury have been used in the past to form parabolic mirrors for telescopes. Other mirrors direct the light into and out of the primary mirror, which must be horizontal.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Rotating pools of mercury have been used in the past to form parabolic mirrors for telescopes. Other mirrors direct the light into and out of the primary mirror, which must be horizontal.

flashguy

Rotating creates a given curve in mercury or there are other elements, er factors involved?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I never realized mercury was used in this way. Learn something new every day.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Rotating creates a given curve in mercury or there are other elements, er factors involved?
The centrifugal forces of rotation create a shallow parabolic surface in the mercury.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If the FBI is involved, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's nothing but bullshit.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
our tax dollars at work Roll Eyes

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
You know, the Terra Cotta Army in Xi'an was discovered in 1974 and they still haven't tried to open up the Emperor's nearby tomb because it's been documented from 2700 years ago to have a complete moat of mercury inside of it. They think it could still be there and don't believe they have the technology to get into the tomb without causing damage to it and the surrounding area. I toured a mock up of what they think is in there once and that would be a LOT of mercury.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to add this to the tin foil hat theory Smile God Bless Smile

https://www.disclose.tv/massiv...-near-the-sun-346338

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You weak-minded conspiracy theorists are as mad as hatters.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
That disc seen in front of the Sun is Mercury in it's orbit around the Sun.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Swamp gas reflecting off of Venus....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
You weak-minded conspiracy theorists are as mad as hatters.

Saw what you did there Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It is rather curious, and I would love to know the actual reason.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I need to stay off the internet. This kinda shit keeps me up at night.

https://www.express.co.uk/news...-flare-new-mexico-NM

SUPER solar flare to WIPE OUT humanity, theorists fear after solar observatory shut down

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post