SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    National Solar Observatory evacuated by FBI, no one knows why
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National Solar Observatory evacuated by FBI, no one knows why Login/Join 
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
They musta got a glimpse of Uranus and didn't like what they saw! Eek Big Grin

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Something screwy is going on that’s for sure. I just looked outside for the Sun and it wasn’t there.

I shit you not...

I just checked outside, I can 100% corroborate this. I just went outside to check - no sun whatsoever, I looked North, East, South, and West. It's nowhere to be seen, something serious is going on for sure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
This showed up in my FB feed.

https://www.space.com/41834-na...-security-issue.html

Unexplained 'Security Issue' Keeps National Solar Observatory Facility Shuttered

It's been more than a week, and a National Solar Observatory (NSO) facility in New Mexico is still closed for an undisclosed "security issue."

The NSO's Sunspot Solar Observatory, on Sacramento Peak in the southern part of the state, was evacuated last Thursday (Sept. 6), as was a nearby post office, according to the Albuquerque Journal. FBI agents have reportedly been investigating the site, and they're apparently keeping local law-enforcement personnel in the dark.

The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA), which manages the Sunspot observatory with funding from the U.S. National Science Foundation, hasn't said much, either. The organization released a statement saying that AURA "is addressing a security issue" at Sunspot "and has decided to temporarily vacate the facility as a precautionary measure until further notice." AURA "is working with the proper authorities on this issue," the statement adds, without specifying who those authorities are.

And we may not get answers anytime soon. At 2 p.m. EDT (1800 GMT) today (Sept. 14), AURA Corporate Communications Coordinator Shari Lifson sent out an email update, which stated that AURA "has decided that the observatory will remain closed until further notice due to an ongoing security concern."

Unsurprisingly, the dearth of information has led to a lot of speculation about what's going on. The rumors range from the downright silly (the feds shut Sunspot down to keep news about a deadly solar superflare from getting into our panicky heads) to the intriguingly believable (this may be an espionage investigation).

Observatory team members have shot down one of the more farfetched theories, however. The "telescope did not see aliens," Sunspot Solar Observatory director James McAteer, who's also an associate professor of astronomy, solar physics and space weather at New Mexico State University, told Albuquerque news station KOB4.

"All data will be made public in its unaltered form," McAteer added. "Nothing is hidden or kept secret."

The FBI hadn't returned a phone call as of press time. The agency has consistently declined to comment on the Sunspot situation over the past week, according to other news organizations.

This story was updated at 2:30 p.m. EDT to include the latest update from Shari Lifson and James McAteer's comments.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
The "telescope did not see aliens,"

Uh huh. Roll Eyes

That's what they want us to think.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Me thinks somebody may have been using said high power looking devices to look at things that may be a weee bit secure.

Either that or start building an ARK or something.

All that being said “They Live”.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, it's the end of the world. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107506 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
The "telescope did not see aliens,"

Yup, The telescope is innocent. It would be a pain in the butt to take it to jail anyway.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It is simultaneously disheartening and predictable that people would think that this has to do with "aliens". The only aliens we need to worry about are the ones wading across the Rio Grande.

Put down the science fiction novels. Roll Eyes

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

That's it! I'm leaving! Not sure where yet, maybe Canada, Australia sounds good, maybe.... Razz

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Asbestos, sewer gas. Foundation giving way.
Or ...Mulder & Scully are investigating an X file.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Gort,
Klaatu
Baraka
Nikto.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Latest spin is that espionage is the cause with the telescope being used to spy on local military bases. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our new alien overlords infiltrated the observatory and shut it down so that we would not see The Tet approaching Earth.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I like big Tets.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Big Tets. Resistance is futile.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
"I like big Tets and I cannot lie" !

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
They finally translated the alien book they found - “To Serve Man” turns out to be a cook book, not an advanced helping humankind manual

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You got that from studying the transmission of all the historical documents.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

If it is, we're blaming you and your meteor idea!

Those black helicopters and guys wearing wind breakers with those 3 little initials on them start showing up at your house, time to execute "Plan B".

Just remember, ask them if you can sleep in the Lincon Bedroom at the White House, who shot JFK, I think SigMonkey has a few outstanding parking tickets he needs to get taken care of.

Oh, and that we all don't have to pay taxes.... Ever.

Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its not Hermes, I swear ... its just a cold star.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post