SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chanukah Greetings From אַרְיֵה
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chanukah Greetings From אַרְיֵה Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

My dads father was Jewish, he married a Catholic, she got excommunicated
Excommunicated?

Did they forget that Jesus was a Jew? Even though He had a Puerto Rican name. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31422 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Happy Chanukah to all of my friends here. I do not have a Hebrew name. Are you given a Hebrew name at birth, or at some other time?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Chanukah Sameach my friends!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12925 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

My dads father was Jewish, he married a Catholic, she got excommunicated
Excommunicated?

Did they forget that Jesus was a Jew? Even though He had a Puerto Rican name. Wink

haha I guess it was because she married outside of the church.(it was in the 1930's)...tells me that that's not the church for me...I remember when they let her come back to church (after da-da died) my dad never went to church because of it and it's probably why he's agnostic

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11468 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Happy Chanukah!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Happy Hanukkah! Just here stinking up my kitchen with latkes.
Some time in the past, Jeff Yarchin expressed horror that I was using a packaged mix and he posted his recipe here.

I have lost track of it. Would you mind posting yours?

My grandmother, although literate in Polish, Russian, and Yiddish, did not read or write English, so I don’t have her recipe.

Here you go. All spices are your preference:

2 large potatoes, peeled
1/2 large onion
1/4 cup flour
1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground garlic (optional)
1 egg

Let the potatoes dry a bit after grating or squeeze the water out.
Mix everything together and drop 1/4 cup scoops into ~350* vegetable oil.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Happy Chanukah!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Chanukah Sameach bubbies! My Hebrew name is Ethan, and in a strange twist of fate I got to choose it.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Happy Chanukah!

Posts: 8903 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cheers, all!

I am not Jewish, but I do love a latke. My German grandmother from Lancaster, Pennsylvania made good ones, but we called them potato pancakes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53243 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Chanukah Sameach bubbies! My Hebrew name is Ethan, and in a strange twist of fate I got to choose it.

Please tell us the story behind that as it sounds very interesting.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Benyamin here!

This is very close to my recipe. Try switching out the flour for matzoh meal. I prefer russet potatoes, and only hand grate them. A food processor saves time but they taste differently to me. Make sure you squeeze all of the liquid out before you fry them.

Boy I miss Latke's but I've lost over 70 pounds...not worth eating for me.

Happy Chanukah all!

quote:
Here you go. All spices are your preference:

2 large potatoes, peeled
1/2 large onion
1/4 cup flour
1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground garlic (optional)
1 egg

Posts: 12948 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
While not Jewish I named my youngest son Ari'el (Lion of God), and I truly respect the Macabees without who we would probably not know Christianity as it is today.

Happy Chanukah.

Posts: 3567 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
A Happy Chanukah to all.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1995 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Happy Chanukah!

Posts: 15152 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Please tell us the story behind that as it sounds very interesting.

My dad was from Brooklyn NY and was raised as an orthodox Jew. My mother was from Mississippi and was raised Catholic. Given how they were raised, they decided to not do that to their children. The result was we celebrated everything, but without any of the religious overtones. Christmas and Chanukah were for gifts, and Easter was a basket of candy. I was neither baptised or confirmed in my mother's religion, nor did I go to Hebrew school.

My parents split when I was about 5 years old, and my mother continued the mostly secular Christian holidays. My dad liked to celebrate the Jewish holidays, but with a little less orthodoxy than he did when he was in his youth. I went to seders annually, celebrated the high holy days, and generally found myself being more Jewish. On my 13th birthday I received a back yard bar mitzvah, and there was no turning back. When I joined the Army I told them I was Jewish, and not knowing any better they put it on my dog tags.

Fast forward to my eventually getting married and my bride to be was Jewish, and my future MIL wants her Rabbi to perform the wedding. Since you can't get any self respecting Rabbi to marry a goy, I had to officially convert. Three Rabbis and a micva later it's official. I'm a Red Sea pedestrian. My conversion was really nothing more than reading two books and writing a check. After explaining how I was raised, and the fact that I was neither baptised or confirmed, the Rabbi there was nothing to 'undo'. I had been celebrating the Jewish holidays since I was old enough to remember, and I could answer every question he put to me.

There were only two unresolved issues. The first was that unless I could provide 'proof' that I had the brit milah performed at birth, I would have to undergo a ritual circumcision. Well, you could imagine that I was less than pleased at the thought of this. But as luck would have it I was born at Mt Sinai medical center, there was a wandering Mohel, and my mom 'remembered' that I had a bris performed. Problem solved.

And now finally to the name. Not having been subjected to a traditional Jewish upbringing, I had not been given a hebrew name at birth. I took a look at what was available, which ain't much I tell ya, and decided on Ethan. I picked it because it wasn't overly ethnic, and had strong ties to colonial America.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Happy Chanukah to all our Jewish brethren!

I hope this video is not inappropriate and is taken in the spirit it is intended. Smile

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/9P30ckBf1wk

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
SgtGold, thank you for taking the time to post that explanation.

posted Hide Post
Happy Hanukkah!

Neat story SgtGold, thanks.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Hanukkah to ALL my Sig Forum friends. May you get new Toys on this Hanukkah Holiday. Be safe and watch your six.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post