SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Millenial Job Interview
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millenial Job Interview Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
They show up late, take long lunches, leave early, and if you tell them it looks bad they say "it's about the work I do, not the hours I keep". Every business trip on the road includes a stop every 2 hours at a Starbucks to buy $2 worth of coffee and food for $10, thereby blowing most of their $50 a day food allowance. Then at dinner they want me to pay the bill as a "business meal" since I report to a different manager...

If you can get your job done in the limited hours you show up, then maybe you don't have enough work to do...

Then there's the "working from home" on a Friday afternoon with nice weather, except they don't seem to be accessible on the corporate wide instant messaging system for some reason.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Ultimate oxymoron:
Millenials in Engineering
The results have been terrifying.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
They become cops, too.

Only good thing is there are enough dumbasses worthy of attention that as long as you show up and don't do anything too stupid, the bosses have their hands full with the millennials. Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Ultimate oxymoron:
Millenials in Engineering
The results have been terrifying.

Almost, but not quite. We have one here that's quite good. Good kid, good work ethic, sharp as a tack, tons of potential. Also a classic redneck (self-identified), so that may have mitigated things somehow.

But I realize he is the exception to the rule.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post

SpaceX launch - lots of young millennials who made that possible, as you can see by scanning the crowd.

Drawing with a broad brush may generate some humor, but it is generally disengenious. There are millions of millennials who are morons, and millions who are not (they do make up the bulk of our armed forces, for example).

Here’s a similar analogy: the majority of Americans who voted cast a vote for Obama. Therefore, a majority of SigForum members voted for Obama.

Again, there are millions of snowflakes and morons among Millenials - there are also millions who are far better than that, including those who sacrificed everything for us to have the freedom to joke about their generation.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sure, I understand. You need a safe space after our microaggressions and you- not surprisingly- lack the capacity to laugh at the behavior of your own generation.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Oh, I’m laughing at them all right Para Big Grin

I’m blown away by how unbelievably dumb/crazy/stupid a huge percentage of Millenials are, but just wanted to call out that not everyone is in that population.

Edit: wanted to say that from an absolutely selfish standpoint as an older Millenial, I love hearing about this sort of flakiness - less competition for me in my career, etc.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the laughable behavior of Millenials we can blame on their upbringing by Baby Boomer parents. As a Gen Xer, I feel like the monkey in the middle.

Posts: 2478 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amy, you don't work here.

quote:
Are you firing me?

That's hilarious.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We currently have a millennial working with us. He's better than most but lacking in many ways.

Another department has mostly women working in it and there's lots of drama. A coworker said "I think there's to much estrogen over there".

The millennial took offense to that statement. I think it's a guy. He responded "I think there's too much testosterone in this lab"- it's just us 4 guys.

They're easily offended, thin skinned quitters.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Edit: wanted to say that from an absolutely selfish standpoint as an older Millenial, I love hearing about this sort of flakiness - less competition for me in my career, etc.

My son (a millenial) shares that exact feeling.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I try not to be too judgemental about the whole generation. My HR person that does hiring for me says they "have no grit" and I think that's pretty simple and accurate.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn Para that gave me good laugh! Too bad there's a lot of truth in it.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Post just aggravated me because it’s true. I went to see Darkest Hour last night. Gary Oldman, Oscar film, about Churchill. Very serious film, you know Hitler’s tyranny and all that, millions dead, tyranny. A millennial couple sat a couple of seats over were talking the entire time, pulling out their phones every few minutes bof of em. The male kept fidgeting, constantly, I mean so many of them have ADD. I felt like an old man and finally put a stop to it as I paid my money. “Are y’all gonna talk through the entire film?” And I said it quite loud. Mind blown look on the faces and he replied “No.”
Then every ten minutes he’d pull his phone out on the dl and creep the angle on it because he knew I’d say something. This generation has a whole lot of problems. They seem to lack comprehension. Films and megaplex chains are surely perturbed on what to do. Before the films, there are like 5 ads that say put your phone up, the blue screen ruins the film experience, do not talk, keep your mouth shut, put your phone the F away. I mean for fucksakes, you were warned multiple times and do it anyway? It isn’t your first time here either. The ADD was insane from both, fidgeting, wrestling, turning in seats, the whispering, and this is typical man. I’ve said something to people probably two or three dozen times over the years. In a Transformers film or whatever marketing bs crap is out, expect it. But in a slower paced Oscar film about war and character development and dialogue, quite evident from previews, wtf did you expect? You are bored cuz it ain’t Star Wars, Superheroes, or whatever else your simple brain has an easier job at? Cool, don’t go see serious films, EVER.

At work, oh my, I don’t even want to get started, just a quick one. Ash Wednesday, I come into work 30 minutes late, pre-approved, and get blocked from getting to my desk for a conference call by the millennial. It proceeds to tell me I’ve got something on my forehead. I tell it, it is Ash Wednesday but that isn’t good enough (deer/headlights) at which point I’m tired of being blocked access to my work area and say “You’ll me alright gentile” and finally get to my desk and conference call. It then proceeds to sit down and IM me how offended it is. How it isn’t going to go to our boss or HR over the sitstuion but it wanted to let me know. Since it is a Holy Day for me I severely bit my tongue and apologize to it for thou offense. It is a complete fool/tool because it’s against company policy to comment on someone’s appearance. Company policy, if you’d RTFM or had paid attention to your company required training during your hiring process. I really wanted to say, you complete twat, YOU just committed a HR violation so go ahead and call the boss or go to HR, you’ll only being hanging yourself. I immediately hollered at my boss stealthfully, we snuck off and discussed the matter, and both had quite the laugh over it. He said same thing, if he does anything about he’ll just get himself in trouble. Fast forward a year, required annual training, it is heavily spotlighted to not talk about someone’s appearance. Got to your boss if you need to say anything. I remember that day like it was yesterday. It gets up after training, looks at me, and it’s face turns blood red. Eye to eye I didn’t smile, frown, display anger, just gave my best face of really?

Sick of this generation. I remember being 7, 8, 13 telling myself I’d never be these old curmudgeons bitching about us skating, biking, etc. I was wrong, but this millennial shit is 100X times worse. I’ve dated some women in that age bracket. Very attractive ones. I can tell you I don’t care if one of them was on the Sports Illustrated cover, and rich, my answer is no and GTFO.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
They become cops, too.

Only good thing is there are enough dumbasses worthy of attention that as long as you show up and don't do anything too stupid, the bosses have their hands full with the millennials. Wink

Yep.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not allow to speak to millidiots...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post