SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling tech support and pressing ocho for espanol...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling tech support and pressing ocho for espanol... Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted
Do you still get transferred to India?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These days it is often Jamaica or the Phillipines after a long message in Spanish.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I have heard, but never tried, that you get directed to a bilingual speaker here in the US.

Have never though to attempt it in the rare times I need a call to tech support.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Off topic I know but pet peeve of mine.

Why can't English just be the sole language? I understand if some office / company related to tourism supports multiple languages. I don't understand why in general companies support multiple languages and then burden the public with the costs (ie - it gets passed through prices).

If someone can't speak English sufficiently, let them find someone to help translate. Let them find someone to engage with tech support and then help the non-English speaking person. Curious, if I'm an ex-pat living in Mexico and I call local tech support, can I press 3 for English?

As an aside, I had cause to call a company the other day. Located in the heart of USA I think. You could tell that the voice giving "press ocho" instructions did not speak espanol. Smile It comes across as kinda cute.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post