SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pocket Screw System
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Screw System Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I am going to be building some patio furniture (BGE table, with separate sideboard) and I'd like to get a pocket screw system to help with the project. I have a dowel jig, and could get a biscuit cutter system, but it seems that a pocket screw system might be better.

Please advise on decent pocket systems. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I am a buy once cry once guy when it comes to tools.

I can also be talked out of this if a biscuit system is overall better for this kind of work.

Thanks.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
This is about all you need:

https://www.amazon.com/R3-Prom...-Pack/dp/B01G3VP3N8/

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-SK...arter/dp/B0756TGBXX/

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-MK...ig-Kit/dp/B00065WPP2

There are more complex setups and clamping systems, but this is all I need to build and install all kinds of things.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I have the Kreg R3 and it's paid for itself many times over. I didn't get the kit with the Kreg vice grip style clamp though, I usually just use a Bessey quick clamp or Milwaukee vice grip C clamp.

Keep in mind that pocket screws aren't meant to bear much load when you design your creation.
Be sure to get the right size screws and adjust the jig to the right size before you go to far. The 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 are what I use most for 1" (3/4 actual) stock. Test on a scrap piece before so your screw doesn't poke out the back.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, the piece I was planning on building recommends the Kreg jig as well.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yep Kreg - I use the K5 Master kit here plus I bought the nifty case for it all. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post

Unless you are planning on doing a lot of pocket screw work, the simplest tool will do nicely.

I have used these tools, my son in law does a lot with them and he has the best one they have.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I bought the small Kreg jig kit and built a rough Big Green Egg table for my Dad's cabin. I have a bunch of oak in my garage and plan to build another one for my house. I need to get going on that project! Please post pics when it is built!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Another Kreg jig fan here. Simple, reliable design.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kreg is great. And you can get plugs for the holes afterward to make it more seamless.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this discussion. I had seen pocket screws, but never knew what their proper name was, much less how it was possible to use them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look on craigslist. I had k3 and then found a great deal on a new k5 on craigslist. The best part of the k5 is the dust collection port. Hook it to a shop vac and everything stays clean.

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I have a Porter Cable Quik Jig which I recently acquired. I've not had time to wring it out fully but it's very well built and looks to be great for projects which require many similar sized joints.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
Kreg k5 all the way. I even bought 2 kreg folding work tables on clearance at lowes for $75 ea. Awesome stuff!

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This topic is a lot less interesting than I was expecting.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I use a castle in my cabinet shop way more then what you would need, but the things are endless for what you can do with them. I wouldn't waste my money on buying the kreg screws as they want a small fortune for them, you can buy a 50 lb box at your local cabinet shop supply store. I buy mine from E.B. Bradley Company.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kreg R3. Make sure to use the blue or stainless screws for outdoor projects.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Despite Para not charging for membership here: this site is expensive.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Artie, before you buy anything, take a look at this jig. https://armor-tool.com/product...t-hole/the-auto-jig/ I have a Kreg K3 jig I've used a ton that I intend to replace with one of these Armor jigs very soon. Armor includes some really neat upgrades on what Kreg offers with their jigs.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This is about all you need:

https://www.amazon.com/R3-Prom...-Pack/dp/B01G3VP3N8/

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-SK...arter/dp/B0756TGBXX/

There are more complex setups and clamping systems, but this is all I need to build and install all kinds of things.

Yep. I have this system. It's magic and sorcery.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I use them both, biscuits more for panel construction, Kreg screws for right angle joining.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post