SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    another month, another NICS all time record
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

another month, another NICS all time record Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve been lusting after a G43x or a 48...want to compare them side to side, but no one has anything in stock....guess I’ll wait a few months...(plus I’m cheap and I have a G19-so I know my want itch will change by then)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11226 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I never saw a crowd at the LGS until my last range visit. Fortunately for me, the crowd was buying guns, not shooting.
I hope the LGS sells lots of ammo and training classes.

Posts: 18000 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I'm hearing 3 to 3 1/2 day wait here in CO.

Shop owner told me people are surprised when they come in to buy a gun, they thought they could walk in, pay, and walk out, they had NO idea about the 4473 OR the CBI check. Maybe some of them will look askance when the lying democrats tell them another whopper in the future. Of course some people think the law doesn't apply to them and they don't need no stinkin' paperwork.

I have had a handful of folks that have been just as astonished that they had to do paperwork and a background check,

'but the TV said there was a loophole and I have never been arrested,,,,," (actual comment from one customer)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It must be in other parts of the country. I walked into my LGS last Thursday, wanting to pick up an LCP II, but the only one they had was in turquoise...so I grabbed a P365 instead. They were nicely stocked, and it's not unusual to not have 'exactly' what you are looking for, but I was the only one at the gun counter and there were at least 50 different display models on the rack behind the counter. Lots of choices and the prices were normal.
s.

Posts: 293 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Another month, another record

https://freebeacon.com/2020-el...er-gun-sales-record/

August Shatters Another Gun Sales Record

August 2020 saw more gun sales than any other August on record as Americans continue to rush to gun stores at a record pace.

A Washington Free Beacon analysis of FBI data released on Tuesday found a 57 percent increase in sales compared to August 2019.

There were at least 1.6 million sales in August 2020

Sales thus far in 2020 have soared past previous years

Sales through the first eight months of the year are up 43 percent over the previous record.

note: this data is adjusted : The Free Beacon removed checks from the count that were coded for gun-carry permits or other non-gun sales to reach the final sales numbers.

Posts: 19485 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
That doesn’t count those of us with CHL licenses, who in states like Texas don’t run a NICS check. I bought an Evil black (well actually Evil green) rifle in June that isn’t counted in that report. ;^)

HK Ag
Yeah, I haven't done a NICS check for years--CHL/LTC makes it unnecessary.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://freebeacon.com/latest-...es-soar-140-percent/

Smith & Wesson Stepping Up Production as Sales Soar 140 Percent

Smith & Wesson, one of only two publicly traded gun manufacturers in America, reported a 140 percent year-over-year jump in gun sales between the beginning of May and the end of July. The company moved 584,000 guns in that period, an unprecedented demand that caused inventories to fall. That's why the company has doubled down on its efforts to manufacture more guns in order to meet continuing demand.

"As we've seen before during these surge periods, these results reflect that despite our record numbers in market share growth, consumer demand for our products during the quarter still exceeded our internal manufacturing capacity levels, " Mark Smith, Smith & Wesson president and CEO, told investors in a call on Thursday. "We're continuing to ramp up…. We're going to go to maximum capacity."

The move comes as Americans have rushed to gun stores at a record pace since March. The first eight months of 2020 have already seen more gun sales than all of 2019. Smith echoed remarks made in July by the CEO of Sturm, Ruger & Co., the other publicly traded American gun company, when he said demand was beyond anything he had previously encountered.

"When we get into these surge environments like this, and as you can see from the [gun background check numbers] we've never seen one quite this high, the demand in the industry just outstrips the industry's ability to supply," Smith said. "And we're no different. You can look at the inventory numbers from us and from some of the other firearms, retailers, and manufacturers, and I think we're just out of inventory."

Mark Oliva, a spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, called the announcement a "significant move" that shows gun makers expect demand to increase. The industry expert said increased production could lead to more manufacturing jobs being created, as well as increased pay for workers as shifts increase.

"It's a demand issue," he said. "It's not a supply issue. Materials are there, the labor force is there, but before [a] manufacturer is going to invest on hiring more people, adding another shift, buying more machinery, they want to be sure. I mean, that's a very costly thing to do. And nobody wants to lay people off when things go down and eventually this will settle out. The question is where will it settle out and when?"

Smith said the company had successfully adopted its manufacturing processes to account for the coronavirus, and the company was back to running at full efficiency while practicing social distancing, masking, and temperature checking to limit the risks of an outbreak at its facilities. The company also managed to produce "tens of thousands of sets of PPE" for local medical personnel while expanding gun-making operations.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I walked into a gun store on Saturday and walked out 15 minutes later with a new Glock 19. Sometimes, life is good.

Clearly you don't live in CA.

I do hope the first time owners of a firearm get some practice using them in the hopefully rare chance they could be needed.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Remember the last time this happened? The media boasted it was the same prior gun owners “panic buying” all the guns and ammo because they were a bunch of government hating paranoid white guys?

Notice this time they can’t even make that lie work?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37062 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Remember the last time this happened? The media boasted it was the same prior gun owners “panic buying” all the guns and ammo because they were a bunch of government hating paranoid white guys?

Notice this time they can’t even make that lie work?

They will mostly ignore it, pretend it doesn't exist. Or they will obscure it, pretend it isn't meaningful. And the ignorant and apathetic will follow.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
That doesn’t count those of us with CHL licenses, who in states like Texas don’t run a NICS check.

Same for those of us in Georgia with GWCLs, ( Georgia Weapon Carry Licenses )

A fair number of the first timers were surprised that they had to wait on a background check. Several other customers I recognized from previous visits to the store in which we'd discussed the advantages of having a GWCL and avoiding the need for a background check, with the accompanying long wait that comes during times like these, but who put it off, are now kicking themselves rather badly. The turn around times just for the state carry permits has gone way the hell up, too.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Actually it does count. CHL holders get a background check ran every 90 days by whomever administrates the license holder. Minimum. Some states do a monthly check.

Those numbers are fixed.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37062 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Those numbers may actually go up a bit faster, now, depending on how tightly your state is or is not shut down. The gun show in San Antonio today wasn't quite packed because of occupancy limitations, but the line to get in was long and stayed that way for hours. Not a bad selection inside - nothing too fancy, some EBRs but not many, lots of staple handguns and shotguns.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as the libs keep running wild, you will see record after record.

I read a report somewhere that mentions libs are buying a lot of cheap guns. They are apparently being financed by wealthy individuals.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2824 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/...million-back-orders/

Scottsdale-based ammunition company Ammo Incorporated is facing an $80.1 million order backlog amid record demand for ammunition.

“We’re working right now seven days a week, 24 hours a day in all the manufacturing plants,” said CEO Fred Wagenhals.

ammunition companies like Ammo Incorporated are now investing millions of dollars in infrastructure upgrades to increase their output. If manufacturers felt like this was only a short-term run on ammunition, they might keep their cash in reserve rather than spending it on new equipment, but at least for Ammo Inc, that’s not the case.

“We just bought 2.8 million dollars worth of machinery and equipment last week to increase our production and increase our volume,” Wagenhals said.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the year has already seen a boom in gun purchases, up 95% in the first half of 2020 compared to the same time period of 2019.

But ammo sales skyrocketed even higher, up 139% compared to 2019 during that same time period.
“The start was the pandemic that was going on. But there was always that fear of the election. Of who’s going to be elected of the next President of the United States,” Wagenhals said. “But thirdly, I think the unrest in this country right now. And as you’ve seen in a lot of cities, the looting and the burning, and I think people are just scared.”

Wagenhals is right about what’s driving the increase in sales for both firearms and ammunition, and unfortunately no matter who wins in November I think there’s a growing expectation among many Americans that the unrest, looting, and burning will continue. That will likely keep sales strong well into 2021, and hopefully other manufacturing companies will be making similar investments in their own operations in order to increase the availability of ammunition.

It’s also worth noting that Wagenhals says production lines are operating 24/7 right now. That’s an indication that supply chain problems with ammunition components may be easing, allowing the manufacturing facilities to work at full capacity instead of being limited by the amount of raw materials that they can get their hands on.

The problem right now seems to be a simple matter of supply not being able to keep up with demand, and it’s good to see manufacturers being proactive in addressing the problem by increasing supply rather than waiting for demand to subside. With just one company looking at $80-million in back-ordered sales, however, it could still be some time before the crunch for consumers lessens and a decent supply of ammunition can be found on store shelves.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My Handyman's day job is with a local ammo builder here in Dallas, and he says they cannot keep up with the demand.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
The media boasted it was the same prior gun owners “panic buying” all the guns and ammo because they were a bunch of government hating paranoid white guys?

Busted.

Dammit, I thought I was flying under the radar. Frown

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15827 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Here you have to get a NICS check every time you buy a gun CC permit or not. You can get a permit to purchase or you're CC and buy a gun that same day and you still need a NICS check. I can't remember a NICS check ever going through at the time of purchase. Even 15 years ago there would be at least a one day delay and I don't think my last name is very common. Are the E Checks better? My ffl just phones it in.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8497 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I know they verbally say the info into the phone here, but is it a person or voice recognition software on the other end?

Posts: 17865 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All this ammunition is being produced but where is it going? No inventory online.

Posts: 12516 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post