SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What If Everybody Sucks At Everything
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What If Everybody Sucks At Everything Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Ben Shapiro

This week, President Trump went on a Twitter rampage -- rightly so -- over the firing of FBI agent Peter Strzok. Strzok, you'll recall, is the agent who was tasked with overseeing both the Hillary Clinton email investigation and the Russian election-interference investigation. The married agent was texting with his married paramour, Lisa Page, at the time -- and among their sexy texts was a bevy concerning their hatred for then-candidate Donald Trump. The Department of Justice inspector general report condemned Strzok's behavior, stating that it was "not only indicative of a biased state of mind but, even more seriously, implies a willingness to take official action to impact the presidential candidate's electoral prospect."

The only mystery is why Strzok's firing took so long.

Now, the common theory growing on the right is that Strzok, along with his like-minded allies in our nation's intelligence agencies, crafted a plot to stop the Trump campaign or oust Trump after his election. They cite Strzok's texts as evidence of motive, which it clearly is. They also cite the relationship between Fusion GPS, the opposition-research firm hired by Hillary Clinton, and Department of Justice employee Bruce Ohr, whose wife worked for Fusion GPS; the use of the so-called Steele dossier, funded by Fusion GPS, in the application for a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act warrant against former Trump campaign aide Carter Page; and the fact that Strzok maintained his employment with the FBI until now.

None of these accusations should be taken lightly. But there's another explanation that bears up under weight: Everybody sucks at everything. So, yes, Strzok was biased. But it's just possible that the FBI initiated the Russian election-interference investigation in good faith, and that the investigation went nowhere because the evidence never appeared -- and because most investigations pursue empty leads on a routine basis. It's possible that Strzok is a grandstanding moron with a penchant for grandiosity, particularly when texting his mistress. It's possible that former FBI Director James Comey was radically incompetent at his job.

Which is more likely: that a massive conspiracy took place at the top levels of the FBI and the DOJ to "get Trump" -- and that the most damning evidence of Russian collusion, the Trump Tower meeting between Donald Trump Jr. and a Russian government-backed lawyer, didn't emerge until months after the election due to intricate planning? Or that bureaucrats are generally awful at their jobs?

The comfortable thing about conspiracy theories is that they allow us to graft logic onto chaos -- they give us a feeling of security. In the words of the Joker in "The Dark Knight," "Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying." But what if there is no plan? What if everybody is just bad at everything? What if the adults who run the most important institutions in the country were the children who picked their noses and put the boogers under the desks in school?

Strzok should have been fired. We should check out all allegations of corruption in government. But our first instinct should usually be to attribute malign acts in government to incompetence rather than malice, because that's usually more accurate.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I vote for both a conspiracy AND incompetence!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
While I cannot argue against incompetence in government, in this case I am sticking with a conspiracy.

Walks like a duck, Occams Razor ect. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
By definition if everyone sucks at everything, everyone is good at sucking, therefore everyone can't suck at everything.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It’s not as easy to pull off a conspiracy as it looks, Ben!

There is always something you can’t foresee. Real life is not like the movies. For one thing, there is no “take 2!”

Where would we be if Strzok and Page had not carried on a virtual running dialogue, and it had not been discovered?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I dont honestly see how the FBI can ever repair the breech of trust. This is big. I once held the FBI in high regard and I realize I was foolish to do so. They are a corrupt organization that should not exist any more. Fire all of em.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
The comfortable thing about conspiracy theories is that they allow us to graft logic onto chaos

quotable line here

quote:
By definition if everyone sucks at everything, everyone is good at sucking, therefore everyone can't suck at everything.

fractured premise here but agree with conclusion

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A conspiracy doesn't have to be detailed to the minute- It's the direction.

Like Page saying the POTUS wants to be kept up to date on everything or something like that.

Too many random events involving known players focused on the same objective to be written off.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Conspiracy or a general agreement among leftists and bureaucrats to use illegal, unethical and violent means to maintain their grip on power.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have known, and liked, some FBI Special Agents over the years. Anymore, though, their own house needs a good cleaning. There are lots of good people there, but I suspect few are very high up in the incredibly intolerant FBI power structure. Remember, Ol' Panyhose, J. Edgar, wanted a dossier on everyone for purposes of influence.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Incompetence is always a plausible explanation for government conduct.

You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Conspiracy and malice are two different things.

I'm not 100% convinced in the conspiracy... but I'm close.

Am 100% convinced that both malice and incompetence are involved.

And thank God for the incompetence or we would never have know about the malice!

So in the end I'm left with the smoldering/growing suspicion that more malice exists that we just haven't been able to prove.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yes, Hanlon's Razor is surely true much more often than supposed conspiracies.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's possible that Strzok is a grandstanding moron with a penchant for grandiosity, particularly when texting his mistress.

That would make more sense if his mistress had not been part of the conspiracy. Yet there she was, a participant in the witch hunt.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
"But our first instinct should usually be to attribute malign acts in government to incompetence rather than malice, because that's usually more accurate."

Horse shit.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
What if it's a conspiracy, but it has failed because they're terrible at what they do?

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
because they're terrible at what they do?

They sure get paid handsomely and haul in a great pension for their messed up performance. Like most in government.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Who watches the Watchers?

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
Who watches the Watchers?

The Watcher Watchers, of course.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I dont honestly see how the FBI can ever repair the breech of trust. This is big. I once held the FBI in high regard and I realize I was foolish to do so. They are a corrupt organization that should not exist any more. Fire all of em.

Does that include the street level FBI agent that had nothing to do with any of this but works hard everyday and is an asset to the Bureau and the citizens of this country?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post