SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2 concrete questions: slabjacking/leveling and specs for pouring a patio
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 concrete questions: slabjacking/leveling and specs for pouring a patio Login/Join 
posted
This is two separate concrete questions.

1. The front step and walkway to the house has sunk several inches and I want to get it fixed. My research has shown there are two methods. One is slabjacking by pumping in a stone slurry and the second is similar but uses a poly foam. Does anyone have any experience with either method? I hear the poly is usually double the price.

2. We want to get a concrete patio poured. It will be roughly 20x30 in size. Im still in the early process and I want to find out what I need to ask when I get estimates. How much base material do I need? How thick of a pad? Can it be done in one solid pour without large joints? Do I need rebar? Is there anything else I should ask?

The wife does not want a grey square pad. So we will have rounded edges and either have exposed aggregate or some type of stamping or staining. As far as staining goes. Is a stain which is mixed in with the wet concrete better than a stain rolled on after the concrete is poured?

Thanks

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had two stamped concrete patios poured and they have come in right around $10/square foot. You pick your base color, which is mixed in to the concrete. You also pick a release agent color which they sprinkle in as they do the stamping. You will still have saw cuts for expansion, no way around that. But if you pick a slate pattern it helps hide the cut lines.

The concrete is then sealed (I use super diamond clear) which is a clear coat, not a color.

Yes make sure they put rebar, and a layer of 21a crushed stone under the concrete. Doesn't have to be a super thick layer I don't think, just enough to give it a good base and hold things together.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
In for answers. My front steps have sunk a few inches and I was going to attempt it myself but realized the first part of the walkway is attached so I couldn't bottle jack it myself.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here is what I don't understand.

gravity and hydraulics are responsible for settling of the concrete,
why doesn't the settling persist after the correction is completed?

unless you address the water and gravity problems?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the stamped concrete pattern you choose.

I went with a stone look that is a subtle pattern and very smooth and once it was sealed it became very slick if there is any moisture on it.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Depending on how much walkway you have it might be cheaper to just have it torn out and re-poured, rather than all that jacking.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
The biggest reason steps settle is because steps are built after the house is built. The perimeter is backfilled with loose soil. After the.house is built, the mason then knows the hieght of the landing which gages the rest of the steps and sidewalk.
So he digs out for the footing and pours concrete on loose soil.
Its typical and very common although wrong. Beside steps dont last forever.

No sidewalk should continue under the steps because steps are built first. Unless perhaps the mason figured the length of the steps wrong.

The.mason should tear the steps out and start fresh. He should not use dirt as fill in the center of the steps as it will settle. He.should use the old steps as fill.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Either material you mentioned for jacking will work just fine. While I have not done it, we did investigate in having it done on some airfield pavement and both materials work equally well.

As far as staining concrete, I vote NO. If it chips, fades, etc. you will never be able to match it. It is what it is. Stamping a pattern is doable, but again if you ever need a repair it will never match. Just know this going into it.

If you are going to pour a concrete pad. Please note that soil compaction, density, is everything. That why your walkway sunk. Piss poor compaction and possibly poor soil (clay). I like reinforcement in slabs regardless of size because it will hold it together if it cracks and it will. Welded wire fabric at a minimum. Proper joint spacing cut or troweled (most likely your case) into the concrete is a must. I prefer panels 12-ft and under, but you can go up to 15-20 feet (not recommended). If you do see a crack migrating in the first day or so, find the end of it and drill a 1/4"-1/2" hole as deep as you can. This will intercept the crack and stop it dead in its tracks. Just take a dab of caulk and fill the top 1/4" of the hole. You may want to consider using concrete with fiber reinforcement. This will control minor cracking, but is no substitute for reinforcement. The slab will be hairy for a few years, but it will wear off.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post