SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LEO Charged with DWI and Carrying Concealed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEO Charged with DWI and Carrying Concealed Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
I guess just like a civilian, you can't carry when drinking or under the influence.

I assume most LEOs carry when off duty, so how do you grab a burger and beer after work? Leave the weapons in the car? Or just don't drink?

https://www.wcnc.com/article/n...ea-ab6d-598b89e57e19

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
DWI and having a burger and beer are two different things. What was his BAC?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
That’s a quick way to throw a hard earned career away.

Unless he’s military, he’s a civilian too although some don’t want to believe that.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I guess just like a civilian, you can't carry when drinking or under the influence.

I assume most LEOs carry when off duty, so how do you grab a burger and beer after work? Leave the weapons in the car? Or just don't drink?

I can legally carry while drinking. So can every other CCW permit holder in Utah.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
It’s a NC thing. The law that exempts LE from the CCW statute expressly forbids carrying with ANY ALCOHOL in their system, or other unlawful substance. Anytime I’ve known a cop charged with DWI with a concealed gun they were also charged with CCW. The troopers especially seem to make sure to tag it on.

Another favorite of DAs is “Failure to Discharge Duties”. Most of the time when cops are charged with a criminal offense related to their position they add it. If convicted they can never be in law enforcement again per the statute. It’s actually written for dirty politicians, but that doesn’t stop them. And nearly every case I’ve seen was political grandstanding. If you can imagine that...

To the question, I just don’t drink much. And never when carrying concealed.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was policing I could count on one hand the number of times I had a drink if we were out. Because we couldn’t carry with any alcohol in our system.

I also arrested a co-worker one night after he passed out at the wheel on the railroad tracks. I called a trooper come in to run the test so there was no attempt at brushing it under the rug. The Chief didn’t fire the guy until he was convicted almost a year later.

Another time a co-worker got stopped by a trooper in town and blew over the limit. The Chief didn’t fire that guy either. Cop finally took a plea a year later and got probation and was allowed to keep his job. He never even attempted to arrest someone for alcohol violations after that.

I think if you can’t control yourself enough to not break the law, then you should t be enforcing them.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

Far from it. I'd estimate about a third carry regularly, a third carry sometimes, and a third never do. Of those that carry occasionally, most of those carry when they're going to training and stuff where they are probably statistically least likely to need it.

If I'm off on any part of the split, it's that I'm overestimating those that carry.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

This. You’d be surprised how little off duty cops carry.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I also arrested a co-worker one night after he passed out at the wheel on the railroad tracks. I called a trooper come in to run the test so there was no attempt at brushing it under the rug. The Chief didn’t fire the guy until he was convicted almost a year later.

Did you gave any backlash for that?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I just generally avoid doing it. I think I had a beer once with a meal out. One time that I can recall.

In Texas, carrying while drinking alcohol, while not advisable, is not necessarily illegal. Carrying (under CHL) while intoxicated is illegal. The definition of intoxicated is the same for CHL as it is for DWI. There is no lower BAC limit for intoxication for CHL or driving. There is, however, an upper limit where one is legally presumed intoxicated for either driving or CHL, 0.08 being the threshold in Texas. Equal to 0.08 or over. Under 0.08 you just might be intoxicated and I guess it would be up to an officer whether to administer a field sobriety test.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I don't drink when armed in public. This means I don't drink in the United States in public.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
^^^^^^

This. You’d be surprised how little off duty cops carry.
I don't know the situation today, but some years ago I understand all LEO in Texas were required to carry when off-duty.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think if you can’t control yourself enough to not break the law, then you should t be enforcing them.

If we applied this philosophy to every public servant we'd wind up without a congress.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 277 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ammodotcom:
quote:

If we applied this philosophy to every public servant we'd wind up without a congress.

That is very true and not an excuse to not try to hold those that we can to some kind of standards.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I carry every single day, and I’d never do so with as much as a drop of alcohol in my system. Especially these days where the profession is so clearly under attack.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Carrying and drinking always brings out those who link evil of the drop with the evil of a firearm for some reason.
I never understood why you have to give up your rights when you drink?
Is it always wise? No, especially if you can't handle it.
Ultimately, you have to accountable for your actions and carrying doesn't hurt anyone drunk or sober.
It's when you pull the trigger that you have to be accountable for.
Again, not always wise but just carrying and having a drink should not be a crime.
IMO.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Did you gave any backlash for that?

NONE at all.

I think it was because he was a POS that would never show up for calls, never be in his beat, always showed up late. The only thing he did right was showing up for off duty gigs where they paid cash. Dude was uniformally hated by every officer who met him. (Even the other lazy slugs)

W/I six months he had another Dwi and we began arresting him for drugs and whatnot. He was a “box checker” hiring. After his arrest his background came out and the rest of us couldn’t believe what got waivered.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses/info.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ammodotcom:

You say that like it would be a bad thing... Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Carrying a firearm and driving motor vehicles both require the "operator" to be responsible and accountable. I'm not a big drinker, but having a single beer or glass of an alcoholic beverage does not equate to being under the influence. Police officers are trained to understand this principle and ought to apply it to themselves voluntarily. If they can't, are stopped, and shown to be under the influence, they should be held accountable administratively as well as criminally.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post