SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6X6 Deck Post Footer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6X6 Deck Post Footer Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
I'm replacing a 6x6 deck post...the old one is out, the post hole is 24" deep, cleaned out and tamped...time to install the new post. I'm thinking of putting in a couple of inches of leveling sand and placing a concrete paver in the hole as a footer. Maybe even some gravel packed with sand as a footer for the concrete paver...or should I just mixup a bag of Sakrete and pour a footer?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's what I did in a similar situation. The idea is to keep water away from the post.

1. Add about six inches of gravel to the base of the post hole and pack it down
2. Place the post in the hole and get it level and straight
3. Pour concrete around the post to fill the hole. Add a bit more to the top against the post. Mound some concrete by the post so water on the post will run away.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
You might consider pouring the concrete and setting a post standoff into the concrete. Should the post ever rot, you could replace it without digging out the concrete.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
You might consider pouring the concrete and setting a post standoff into the concrete. Should the post ever rot, you could replace it without digging out the concrete.

This is what I would do for a deck post.
https://express.google.com/u/0...utm_campaign=8613692

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is the correct answer.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:

Agreed, this does sound like the correct answer, however, I'm not sure that I have the skillset to place the standoff in it's proper place so the post is plumb, square, level and in alignment with the second story support girder. The gravel/driveway paver footer will give me the flexibility to shift things around.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
quote:
quote:

Agreed, this does sound like the correct answer, however, I'm not sure that I have the skillset to place the standoff in it's proper place so the post is plumb, square, level and in alignment with the second story support girder. The gravel/driveway paver footer will give me the flexibility to shift things around.

There's an app for that, we'll really a Simpson strong tie for that https://www.homedepot.com/p/Si...ase-ABA66Z/100375370

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

An old fashioned plumb bob is your friend.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
And a level, held in 3 directions.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
My 6x6 are just set and poured. They will last past my life time.
There are fence corners that are still strong 20 years now around my farm.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
There's an app for that, we'll really a Simpson strong tie for that https://www.homedepot.com/p/Si...ase-ABA66Z/100375370

Exactly what I used.
Pour concrete into a 14" dia sonotube resting on gravel base; 36"+ deep.

Perhaps overkill, but no one ever complained that their deck was "too sturdy".

As far as accuracy of placement goes, gravity (and a plumb bob) is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY stable consistent. Smile

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
IMO, no sand under a load bearing post. I don't trust it not to shift out with time.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
No sand. No gravel. Nothing but concrete of your choice.

You can do it a number of ways, including letting the concrete set, and drilling a Redhed.

No less than 12" tube, to past your frost line. Local code tables will tell you what that is.

Overbuild, it's actually cheaper.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
My 6x6 are just set and poured. They will last past my life time.
There are fence corners that are still strong 20 years now around my farm.

My original posts are over 25 years old...they are rotting out at ground level. When I built the deck, I was able to purchase 12" diameter, 4" thick concrete pads that I placed in the holes, set the posts and filled with Sakrete.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17

#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should delay the project by a couple of weeks and order some of these...

https://footingpad.com

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I should delay the project by a couple of weeks and order some of these...

https://footingpad.com

Last pole barn I helped with we just threw a flat rock in the bottom of the hole. Seems like a free and natural version of that... we had plenty of flat rocks.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/result...+deck+porch++footing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post