SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where to eat in Austin Texas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to eat in Austin Texas Login/Join 
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Salt lick bbq, your welcome.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites:

http://www.fondasanmiguel.com

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I know this post is practically all BBQ, but Austin does have other genres of food.

You can enjoy some NY style pizza at S. Congress Ave location Home Slice, and afterward walk a couple blocks to see the bats of Congress Ave Bridge.

The original Chuy's on Barton Springs has very good Tex Mex. Kind of a cool location with the old post oak trees. It's extremely busy, but to me it tastes better than the Chuy's versions in Houston.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
^^^^^This was my point in my original post on page 1. There are great examples of almost any food you could want from Sushi to hotdogs.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Eater.com does a very good job covering the Austin restaurant scene:

The 38 Essential Restaurants in Austin, Fall 2019

My wife and I enjoy eating out more than we should and generally trust the descriptions and reviews listed on the site.

Main page: https://austin.eater.com/

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
Eater.com does a very good job covering the Austin restaurant scene:

The 38 Essential Restaurants in Austin, Fall 2019

My wife and I enjoy eating out more than we should and generally trust the descriptions and reviews listed on the site.

Main page: https://austin.eater.com/
Eater does an outstanding job in the 25 largest cities in the US. I've never even had an average meal at one of their Essential 38, and most of the time it's outstanding to exceptional.

I had to laugh at one of the Eater Austin suggestions - Via 313. It serves "Detroit Style Pizza." WTF is that? Do they put your car on blocks and strip it clean while you dine to give you the true Detroit experience?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Late at night Katz Kosher Deli is great. It may be good all the time that is just when I went there (after partying).

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Late at night Katz Kosher Deli is great. It may be good all the time that is just when I went there (after partying).

Katz's in Austin closed in 2011. They do have a location in Houston and one in The Woodlands if you happen to be in the area.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
  • Franklin BBQ (#2 in all of Texas) - Lives up to the hype but not worth the wait when there are several other outstanding BBQ joints nearby.
  • Micklethwait Craft Meats (#8 in all of Texas) - Outstanding but if you cant get here by 3pm, then don't bother.
  • Stiles Switch (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - Excellent, but it's in North-Central Austin and might be a little farther than you care to go. It happens to be directly across the street from a popular - ahem - gentlemen's club.
  • Freedman's (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - Closed.
  • LaBarbeque (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - Outstanding but if you cant get here by 3pm, then don't bother.
  • Terry Black's (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - Excellent and close to downtown.
  • Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - Haven't tried yet, but too far south.

Your best options for good BBQ that are near downtown and offer dinner service are:

Terry Black's - see above
Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ - in the heart of downtown
Original Black's BBQ - a little north of downtown near the UT campus. One of my personal favorites.
Lambert's - a place downtown for fancy BBQ

Iron Works, Salt Lick, County Line - IMO don't bother.

Other recommendations:

South Congress Cafe - good place for brunch
24 Diner - great food 24 hrs/day
Torchy's - good fast casual TexMex
Guero's - good TexMex
Veracruz All Natural - one of the most popular taco trailers
P Terry's - TX version of In'N'Out
Hat Creek - fast, casual burger joint
Chilantro - Korean fusion
East Side King - Oriental fusion from celebrity chef Paul Qui
Salt & Time - sort of an upscale butcher shop/deli
Dai Due - see Salt & Time

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:

Katz's in Austin closed in 2011. They do have a location in Houston and one in The Woodlands if you happen to be in the area.

The one in The Woodlands isn't nearly as good as the one downtown. :/

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:

Tell me you are being a mashugana!

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I was in Austin for a week a few years ago and are at many places.

The only one I still think about, fairly often, is Torchy’s Tacos.

I want me some torchys.

We waited for HOURS at some popular NY style pizza place downtown (I think). If I recall correctly they import their water from NY I think.

It was a terrible experience. Expensive. Kit that good. And HOURS.

NOOPE.

Gimme some torchys.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Franklin's is good but not worth the wait but in my opinion Terry Black's beef rib is better and you can pretty much go any time of day.

Salt and Time is a little different, they have a smaller menu but very good. The fries are fried in beef fat are ridiculously good, I just had their 45 day dried aged ribeye medium rare very good. They have an odds and ends plate as a starter and it changes, also their meat platter starters are very good..

T-loc Sonora hot dogs is one of my favorites the hot dog is very good, with a lot of ingredients but my favorite there is the carne asada fries so worth the carbs.

Posts: 2119 | Location: Central TX | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
If you find you have a want for pizza, Home Slice Pizza on S.Congress, south of downtown is legit New York Style pizza. Some of the best I've ever tasted.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Franklin Barbecue

900 E 11th St, Austin, TX 78702
(512) 653-1187

https://g.co/kgs/gvU5h1

Not sure where you're staying but this was awesome.

Go ahead and mark this off your list unless you want to burn half a day. In order to insure you get to eat at lunch you need to be in line around 7:00 AM....yes, seriously.

This isn't always the case. I've eaten at Franklin twice--arrived around 11 both times and finished eating at 1:30-2:00. It was worth the wait.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salt Lick is very good as previously mentioned. Its a hike to get out there though.

Don't let anyone talk you into going to Oasis- while the view of the lake is outstanding, the food is mediocre.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My favorites when I was in school there:

Kerbey Lane Cafe
Pappasitos
Chuys
County Line BBQ
Salt Lick BBQ
Matt's El Rancho
Trudy's North Star
Texadelphia (quick lunch - cheesesteaks)

*Honorable Mention for The Oasis. Food is passable, but the views are worth it.

That was 25 years ago....As far as I know they are all still going strong.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Just got back from there- we went to a number of different places including Vespaios, Perla, Guerros, Eberly’s, Bob’s Steak& chophouse. Ended the weekend with Gordos. All good for a variety of reasons. I’ve not been disappointed by the food there yet.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post