SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where to eat in Austin Texas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to eat in Austin Texas Login/Join 
posted
I'm fortunate to be coming to Austin in a few weeks for the Formula 1 race at COTA. We are staying in the downtown area and wont have access to a car. Are there any must eat spots in the downtown area for dinner? We're mainly looking for barbecue destinations but open to anything.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Torchy's on S Congress
Frank & Angie's (pizza) just South of downtown

Really bummed we aren't going to make it this year, unless I get lucky and win tickets.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Been a long time since I lived in Austin, but we used to go to the Hoffbrau Steakhouse, maybe 6 blocks west of downtown on 6th. Very reasonable prices.

Maybe you can rent some electric scooters or something, if you don’t want to walk.

I’d guess there are a bunch of more trendy joints downtown, now.

https://www.hoffbrausteakhouseaustin.com/

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Franklin Barbecue

900 E 11th St, Austin, TX 78702
(512) 653-1187

https://g.co/kgs/gvU5h1

Not sure where you're staying but this was awesome.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You cant throw a cat and not hit a bbq joint here.
Try the Texas Chili Parlor 1409 Lavaca.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
You mentioned you won't have access to a car, but there's always Uber or Lyft if you find someplace farther out from where you're staying.

Personally I'd rent a car and get the hell outta that Libtarded bastion and drive to Houston... Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Franklin Barbecue

(512) 653-1187

Go ahead and mark this off your list unless you want to burn half a day. In order to insure you get to eat at lunch you need to be in line around 7:00 AM....yes, seriously.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Austin is an eclectic food town, there is no dominate influence as far as type or style of food. Everything from street food from a truck (often owned and run by top chefs trying out new menus and concepts) to high end cuisine from any culture. The list of must eats is endless. My recommendation is to ask your hotel staff based on your mood du juor.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Franklin Barbecue

(512) 653-1187

Go ahead and mark this off your list unless you want to burn half a day. In order to insure you get to eat at lunch you need to be in line around 7:00 AM....yes, seriously.

True.
My cousin lives outside of Austin and he got me out of bed to go stand in line one morning.
I had time and it was well worth it. YMMV.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Congress Street Cafe is excellent for brunch if you can stand the hipster vibe.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Salt Lick BBQ just south of town.

Thank me later.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

Thank me later.

This is typically what I recommend to out of state visitors both for the food and the atmosphere/building. In the OP's case though it would probably be a $100+ round trip via uber on a COTA weekend.

If you decide to go, take cash as they don't accept any other form of payment.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I did this twice when I was out there. Great stuff. Don't only get the brisket. The kielbasa and turkey were also surprisingly spectacular.

quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

Thank me later.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Been a long time since I lived in Austin, but we used to go to the Hoffbrau Steakhouse, maybe 6 blocks west of downtown on 6th. Very reasonable prices.

We're going to have to check this place out. I wish we could make it to Franklin's, if we had half a day to burn we would definitely do it.

Is Terry Blacks BBQ worth a trip?

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
quote:

We're going to have to check this place out. I wish we could make it to Franklin's, if we had half a day to burn we would definitely do it.

Never been. I don’t remember it from when I lived there.
You might check out the Ironworks BBQ. They’ve been around a long time, they’re not too far from downtown. It doesn’t look much like the neighborhood I remember it in. They city built an immense convention center next door. On Red River close to I-35.

https://ironworksbbq.com/

House Park BBQ is another we used to frequent in the 1970s.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Torchy's on S Congress
Frank & Angie's (pizza) just South of downtown

Really bummed we aren't going to make it this year, unless I get lucky and win tickets.

Frank & Angie's closed last year. Its owners also own Hut's Hamburgers directly next door, and Hut's is closing permanently tomorrow after having been an Austin staple for 60 years.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Hut's is closing permanently tomorrow after having been an Austin staple for 60 years.

Frown

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
quote:

Terry Black's is well reviewed by locals, some prefer it to Franklin's. Certainly worth a try while in town.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hut's is closing permanently tomorrow after having been an Austin staple for 60 years.

Frown

To make it worse, the Hut's in the airport sucks. I ate there Monday and was disappointed to get a prefrozen flavorless patty, definitely not the fresh and delicious grease bomb I was expecting.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As far as the Austin BBQ scene, the BBQ joints on Texas Monthly's Top 50 list are:
  • Franklin BBQ (#2 in all of Texas) - never eaten here as I'm too impatient for 4 or 5 hour waits. It's actually 1 or 2 hours quicker and you see more sights by driving to Lockhart, standing in the short line and eating at one of their legendary BBQ joints, and driving back to Austin.
  • Micklethwait Craft Meats (#8 in all of Texas) - I haven't eaten here
  • Stiles Switch (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - I ate here once after seeing the Franklin and LaBarbeque lines. It was excellent and 5 to 10 minute wait.
  • Freedman's (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - I haven't eaten here
  • LaBarbeque (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - I haven't eaten here. I saw the line and headed to Stiles Switch.
  • Terry Black's (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - I haven't eaten here. See paragraph later in post on the Black's.
  • Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ (TM doesn't order 11 thru 50) - I haven't eaten here.
  • Kerlin BBQ (TM honorable mention) - I haven't eaten here.
  • Brown's BBQ (TM honorable mention) - I haven't eaten here.

It's not on the list, but I enjoyed the beef ribs at Iron Works BBQ (Arfmel's post reminded me about this place). I'm friends with the grandson of the man who ran the iron shop that used to be here. We were all in town for a wedding and he was wanting to try the BBQ at his grandfather's old shop. It's an actual restaurant and by that I mean it's open for both dinner and lunch. Many BBQ joints cook a certain amount of meat timed to be done for lunch, and they close when they run out (if they don't run out it's 5 or 6 hours past its prime). Other restaurants put on meat twice and time it to have meat peak at both lunch and dinner. Iron Works and Stiles Switch are the latter.

Just because it's in Austin doesn't mean it's automatically good BBQ. It's not in business any more (found website saying Ruby's closed in Feb '18), but about a decade ago I had a continuing education week long course at University of Texas. The secretary who coordinated the class recommended a place to my coworker and I that was near campus and actually talked us out of driving out to Driftwood for Salt Lick. The order takers were too stoned to run our credit card and I had to help. In hindsight, that should've been the clue to leave and the verdict on the BBQ was that I've had better BBQ at the cafeteria at work.

Black's BBQ in Lockhart is one of the legendary BBQ joints in Texas. It's the best BBQ I've ever had in my life. It looks like there has been some family drama so:
  • Black's BBQ now has added to their logo the word "original" and they have expanded to 3 additional cities (Lockhart + Austin, New Braunfels, and San Marcos)
  • Terry Blacks is in Austin. It's run by the twin nephews of the manager of the original Black's BBQ in Lockhart.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post