SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trip Insurance: Worth It or Waste of Money?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip Insurance: Worth It or Waste of Money? Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
The wife and I are planning to go to Glacier Nat'l Park this Fall.

My job situation makes any long-term planning risky, so I was thinking of purchasing trip insurance in case we need to cancel.

I've never used trip insurance before and don't know if it's worthwhile or a waste of money.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you have no assurance that you can make the trip, than the insurance you spend would be worth covering the "asset" you risk losing.

Short answer in your case. Yes.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Before you purchase the insurance make sure you understand exactly what situations will be covered for cancellation.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I always buy it for my tropical vacations. It is basically a moneyback guarantee minus the cost of insurance if you need to cancel up to 24 hours before the event. Since booking a vacation several months out the 300 bucks is worth a little security should an untimely death political uprising, hurricane happen.

In my case, worth it, 300 to save 4500. Depends on the cost of your vacation and cancellation policies of airlines/hotels for you.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Before you purchase the insurance make sure you understand exactly what situations will be covered for cancellation.

Just got a text from a buddy on this point. Coincidentally and unfortunately, last week he fell and blew out his knee on the first day of his vacation in Spain. Not only did he have to come home right away, he had to fly business class because of his knee.

His travel insurance is going to cover the cost, but he told me cancelling a trip because of a job situation is probably not covered by trip insurance.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

Just got a text from a buddy on this point. Coincidentally and unfortunately, last week he fell and blew out his knee on the first day of his vacation in Spain. Not only did he have to come home right away, he had to fly business class because of his knee.

His travel insurance is going to cover the cost, but he told me cancelling a trip because of a job situation is probably not covered by trip insurance.

Some will allow a cancellation for anything.

OP- Search trip insurance here on the forum. There have been some very good threads on it.

In your case, I would get it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If any possibility I may have to cancel, I buy it. Most offer different levels or additional coverage for an add on fee.

You cancel for injury, illness, loss of job or weather usually covered at base level

You cancel for work reasons or cancelled military leave at higher level or additional premium.

You cancel "for any reason" at highest level or an additional premium.

As far as additional trip protections such as lost baggage, delays, medivac, etc. differing levels some with a deductible or limit provide mostly provide peace of mind and probably very rarely of benefit, BUT should one of things come up, it is like a winning lottery ticket.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My credit card offers basic trip cancellation, trip delay, trip interruption, baggage replacement, and baggage delay insurance. Request the benefits document for your card and read the amounts and situations it covers. If you are close to your doctor, that could probably write you a doctor's note severe enough to cancel a trip.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

OP- Search trip insurance here on the forum. There have been some very good threads on it.

Thanks. I did a cursory search, but did not see any threads. I will look again.

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
If any possibility I may have to cancel, I buy it. Most offer different levels or additional coverage for an add on fee.

That's my thinking. Usually it never crosses my mind. But, I've moved to a quasi-consulting role and I've seen where clients have told other consultants "you have to be there!". If that happens to me, I'd have to cancel, so the insurance would be worth it to me.

Any recommendations on where to look for trip insurance?

posted Hide Post
The only time I used trip insurance is on a cruise. I broke an expensive camera lens in Alaska and it was covered so for me it was worth it.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If $300 for a $4500 trip is the going rate, that is a high price (6.6% of the covered event). $300 doesn't seem like much, but as a percentage of the total, it is high.

I might buy it for a high risk trip - one where politics may intervene, like a trip to Africa.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
The link below will take you to a website wherein you can price trip insurance/travel medical/etc. programs.

http://www.hthtravelinsurance....der=y&personalized=y

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
How much would you be out of pocket if you did need to cancel? Are you flying or driving? Hotels can be cancelled on as little as 24 hours notice. Airline tickets may or may not be refundable.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'd expect it to be well under $200.

Last month for my 6 day honeymoon trip to Jamaica it was around 170 for my wife and myself.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2800016414

I love this place, but the search function...is not Wink

-JALLEN

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2800016414

I love this place, but the search function...is not Wink

Thank you Sir!

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
If $300 for a $4500 trip is the going rate, that is a high price (6.6% of the covered event). $300 doesn't seem like much, but as a percentage of the total, it is high.

I might buy it for a high risk trip - one where politics may intervene, like a trip to Africa.

thats why its called insurance Smile Its only worth it til you need that 4500 bucks that you just took a dump on cause gam-gams died or a hurricane leveled your resort.

I should have clarified thats 150 per person. covers accidents, fly delays as well. Doesnt make it any less expensive I just rather not be SOL is all since my per hour aint no 4500 bucks Big Grin

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being that it's in the continental US. I would check into hotel cancellation policies and not book the airfare until a few weeks out and forgo the trip insurance.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Being that it's in the continental US. I would check into hotel cancellation policies and not book the airfare until a few weeks out and forgo the trip insurance.

That won't work for me. Glacier is a pretty popular destination and I've seen some of the flights sell out already. Plus, I understand that, because of the same popularity, hotels have stiff cancellation penalties.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I purchased insurance with SW Airlines for the 25th anniversary trip to Sedona. Cheap. I think it was $65 for a $3000 trip.

[Regarding the search utility, I wish as a community we could all title our threads with operative words. In this example, "world travelers step inside" as a title is not as easy to find as "is trip insurance worth it?" The forum search software is challenging to use, so I would encourage us to all try to help each other with better titles.]

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post