SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Taxes - e-file and mailing payment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxes - e-file and mailing payment Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I usually e-file and get a refund.

This year, I owe. I e-filed my taxes but not sure what to do about payment. I'm using H&R tax software and it said it would send instructions once the returns were accepted or something (4 hours to 3 days?).

Has anyone done this before? What typically do you need to do when sending payment by mail?

Print the 1 page payment voucher for both Fed and State? Include a check and mail it?

Or do I need to include paper forms, copy of the W2, etc? Should I start printing everything?

BTW, when I print drafts, I use a two-sided printer. Sometimes, the first page of a form is on the back side of previous form. Is this okay when sending forms into the IRS? Or do I need to print each form individually?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I usually e-file and get a refund.

This year, I owe. I e-filed my taxes but not sure what to do about payment. I'm using H&R tax software and it said it would send instructions once the returns were accepted or something (4 hours to 3 days?).

Has anyone done this before? What typically do you need to do when sending payment by mail?

Print the 1 page payment voucher for both Fed and State? Include a check and mail it?

Or do I need to include paper forms, copy of the W2, etc? Should I start printing everything?

BTW, when I print drafts, I use a two-sided printer. Sometimes, the first page of a form is on the back side of previous form. Is this okay when sending forms into the IRS? Or do I need to print each form individually?

If you e-file you only need to mail in the payment voucher with your check.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
I e-filed and did the electronic payment

Once IRS accepted the return , there was a link to a site where i could pay

It cost me approx $2 convenience fee

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btgoanna:
I e-filed and did the electronic payment

Once IRS accepted the return , there was a link to a site where i could pay

It cost me approx $2 convenience fee

Very easy, I think this is who I used:

https://payusatax.com/

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Just send the voucher and your check. Make sure your SSN is on the check.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Voucher and check.

If I remember correct, the OP is in California. Here is the link to IRS' where to mail tax payments for California residents.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
FUCK THE BATFE

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You should get info on how to send a check or pay online. I've done both in the past. Usually just pay online. I think it was free with the Fed as long as I used a bank account. Just need the routing number and account number. They charged if I used a credit card.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"1098-V" payment voucher.
Turbotax prints it on the 1st page of your return - filled out with your info, amount & the correct mailing location for your state. No idea what HR Block does.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
FUCK THE BATFE

Interesting comment in an IRS taxes thread.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
FUCK THE BATFE

Interesting comment in an IRS taxes thread.

Even more interesting when you write that below the signature block on your 1040.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I usually just pay electronically. All they need is the Routing number and thee Account number.

I'll be moving money into the account on Monday for them to draw on

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
I usually just pay electronically. All they need is the Routing number and thee Account number.

I'll be moving money into the account on Monday for them to draw on

Same here. If you pay by this EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) method, there's no convenience fee.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I received the Fed confirmation. H&R sw now indicates that I just send in a check w/ the voucher. Still waiting for State but I assume it'll be the same thing.

I assume it's safe to drop off both at the USPS office today; State is just a time lag but will be the same as Fed (just different address and Payee). If so, I'll send both of today.

I'm thinking about creating another account, both credit and checking, for this type of stuff moving forward. I'm very hesitant giving out my SSN and my primary account numbers, especially to a third party. And I don't know why the convenience fee isn't just flat. Is it really different work to handle $1 vs $5000?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm very hesitant giving out my SSN and my primary account numbers, especially to a third party.

Wouldn't you have already been providing them this information for prior refunds?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I don't know why the convenience fee isn't just flat. Is it really different work to handle $1 vs $5000?

Not if they are taking credit cards instead of bank debit info. They have to pay the fees, too.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
I'm very hesitant giving out my SSN and my primary account numbers, especially to a third party.

Wouldn't you have already been providing them this information for prior refunds?

To IRS, yes. To H&R, yes. But not sure about this third party that H&R/IRS uses to handle the fund transfer.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
And I don't know why the convenience fee isn't just flat. Is it really different work to handle $1 vs $5000?

Not if they are taking credit cards instead of bank debit info. They have to pay the fees, too.

Ah! CC fees that vendors pay scales w/ amount too.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
FUCK THE BATFE

Have you deposited my check from the last FFL transaction on January 15????

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I waited to hear back for my state return and never did. Log into H&R block and view your return. The part you need to print is at the bottom if your return.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post