SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) What do you have?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) What do you have? Login/Join 
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Changing the subject just a little bit, how long past the expiration date can you hang onto certain items, like quik clot, etc. and expect it to function like it should. As long as it has never been opened of course.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you, lots of good info.

For what its worth, the day after I posted this I picked up a new LG range for my wife and dumped my MIL's old dishwasher. When I threw the dishwasher out of the truck I cut the crap out of my left hand. I grabbed the Johnson & Johnson emergency medical kit from my truck and it was packed full of WORTHLESS items like 300 bandaides and other crap I didn't need. I ended up wrapping the wound in napkins and wrapping it in tape. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. I probably could have used 10-20 stitches, but I just elected to fix it up with what I had at home. Don't laugh, but I usually keep a maxi-pad in the glove box with a wife and two daughters just in case, but apparently someone needed it and did not replace it. Time to restock and retool!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
Changing the subject just a little bit, how long past the expiration date can you hang onto certain items, like quik clot, etc. and expect it to function like it should. As long as it has never been opened of course.

As long as it has not lost its air seal, it should be good. The coating on the combat gauze can dry out.

The protein based ones don’t react well to humidity.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Added: An opinion about the “SWAT-T” tourniquet. I have taken a few classes that exposed the students to that tourniquet that is simply a length of a wide rubber strip with markings to help show when it has been applied tightly enough. Even in a classroom setting I found applying the device properly to be very difficult, and can only imagine what it would be like in a trauma situation. The SWAT-T may be better than nothing in some circumstances, but if I’m going to rely on having a tourniquet, I’ll have one that I know will work and doesn’t require gorilla fingers to apply. Again, though, I would be very interested in contrary opinions.

The SWAT-T is good for children and dogs, not so much for adults.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post