SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ancestry.com dna testing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ancestry.com dna testing Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I will pass on this. What I already know about my family history is scary enough.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Sigh. I'll pass on my recent experience with genetic testing. I used CRI Genetics and their basic service.
Going in I "knew" is was half Mexican and half misc Caucasian (was told mainly Scott/Irish/English etc. No real definable cultural background on my father's side.

What I received back from CRI is not at all representative of my "known" ancestry. Who knows, maybe bad intel gave my dad a false representation he then passed on to me.

What I received back:
-64.5% European
17.4% Finnish
15.2% British
12.7% Northwestern European
9.6% Iberian
9.6% Toscani Italian
-30.1% Ad Mixed American
21.4% Peruvian
6.2% Mexican
1.7% Colombian
0.8% Puerto Rican
-3.3% South Asian
1.2% Sri Lankan Tamil
0.9% Bengali
0.6% Gujarati Indian
0.6% Punjabi
-1.9% East Asian
0.8% Japanese
0.6% Chinese Dai
0.3% Southern Han Chinese
0.2% Northern Han Chinese
-0.2% African
0.2% Luhya in Kenya

Very Interesting. Affects my future 0.0%.

Posts: 2008 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
A recent article published in the Idaho State Journal (a small regional newspaper published in Pocatello, Idaho) shows at least one of the potential hazards of putting your DNA out there in the public domain: LINK.

Summary: An OB-GYN doctor was asked to facilitate getting a woman pregnant. The woman and her husband requested that the sperm donor be a college boy, at least 6 feet tall, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Since the doctor met the couple's specs, instead of using a sperm bank, the doctor used his own baby batter to successfully impregnate the woman, who had a daughter.

Thirty years later the daughter sent a swab to Ancestry dot Com and it reported back to her that the doctor was her dad, which was a BIG surprise to her -- a double shock when she saw the doctor's name on her birth certificate as having delivered her! Now the couple is suing the doctor and everybody else that was in or near the room.

Lots of stupid in this story, but the two big mistakes on the part of the doctor were 1) using his own sperm, and 2) putting his DNA profile in the public domain.

Bottom line is that when you give your DNA to these businesses, you lose control of it. This story makes one wary of not just this doctor's problem, but of lots of other potential problems that could crop up if/when one's DNA is out there for anyone to look at.

quote:
OB-GYN allegedly used his own genetic material to impregnate a patient
By BRYAN CLARK Post Register Apr 5, 2018

[Go to URL to view photo] Dr. Gerald Mortimer

A federal lawsuit filed Friday alleges a local retired obstetrician-gynecologist used his own genetic material to impregnate a patient who received fertility treatment in 1980, a fact only discovered last year when her daughter sought genetic testing.

The suit has been brought against Dr. Gerald Mortimer, an OB-GYN who was first licensed fewer than three years before the alleged incident, according to Idaho State Board of Medicine records.

Repeated efforts this week to reach Mortimer for comment were unsuccessful.

News of the lawsuit was first reported Friday by the website courthousenews.com, and the story was picked up by news organizations around the world starting Monday.

The suit alleges that Sally Ashby and her then-husband Howard Fowler sought help with trouble conceiving in 1979, when Fowler was employed at the Naval Reactors Facility. According to the suit, Mortimer recommended a procedure where Fowler’s genetic material would be mixed with a donor’s, and the mixture would be used to cause pregnancy.

The couple specified that the donor would be a man resembling Fowler: a college student with brown hair, blue eyes and more than 6 feet tall. The suit alleges they paid for access to a donor bank to obtain such a sample.

But the complaint alleges that Mortimer instead used his own genetic material, and when their daughter, Kelli Rowlette (née Fowler), was conceived, she was Mortimer’s biological offspring. Rowlette discovered that fact in July, when she received genetic testing results from Ancestry.com indicating that she was Mortimer’s child. Rowlette was unaware her parents had sought a sperm donor, or that Mortimer had been her mother’s OB-GYN.

Rowlette relayed the results to her mother, complaining that the Ancestry.com results appeared unreliable. But when her mother and father became aware of the results, they were “devastated,” according to the suit.

“Ms. Ashby and Mr. Fowler struggled to cope with their own anguish, and had difficulty contemplating the torment the discovery would cause their daughter if she found out (Mortimer was her biological father),” the complaint states.

The suit states that Rowlette finally looked at a copy of her birth certificate, which Mortimer had signed, and called her parents in a panic.

“Since discovering Dr. Mortimer’s actions, Ms. Ashby, Mr. Fowler and Mrs. Rowlette have been suffering immeasurably,” the complaint states.

The suit alleges medical negligence, failure to obtain informed consent, fraud, battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract and violations of the Idaho Consumer Protection Act. They are seeking as-yet undetermined damages in excess of $75,000 — the minimum amount to pursue such a case in federal court.

The suit also alleges negligent supervision by Obstetrics and Gynecology Associates of Idaho Falls, where Mortimer formerly worked. The firm’s lawyer issued a statement Tuesday emphasizing that none of the current staff were with the company during the period in question.

“None of the health care providers currently at Obstetrics and Gynecology Associates of Idaho Falls were part of the practice in 1979 to 1980 and they diligently strive to provide care to their patients that is in compliance with the standards of health care practice,” said Michael Wheiler, the clinic’s attorney.

In an interview, Wheiler added that Mortimer hadn’t worked at the clinic in more than a decade.

If Mortimer did use his sperm to impregnate a patient, he wouldn’t be the first doctor to have done so. There have been reports of similar actions throughout the U.S. and abroad. An Indiana fertility doctor was reported to have used his own sperm to “impregnate as many as dozens of women,” the Chicago Tribune reported in December.

Mortimer has held many prominent positions within the local community. He served six years on Bonneville Joint School District 93’s School Board in the late-1990s, according to past reporting, including serving as its chairman.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I had lunch with my brother today, now that tax season is behind him.

All our lives, we were told our ancestors were from Tennessee, the debtors prisons of Georgia, and Scotland and Ireland, maybe a smidgeon of English before that.

He was forced by his family to do the “spit in a tube for $100,” and now has the results.

The old family takes are pretty much right, except, he told me, 1% Native American.

I’m not ashamed to say that when he gave this solemn news, I wept, overcome with emotion.

Now I can apply to be a professor at Harvard Law, be invited to Sunday evening soirees at Pocahontas's, to enjoy Stone ground corn, fresh roasted buffalo, maybe even some firewater in moderation, of course. Has anyone ever received more joyful more momentous news at this late stage in their lives?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
For as long as my wife can remember, her grandmom swore up and down that there was Native American blood on their side of the family. With no proof of course, just dumb ass wishful thinking.

Her grandmom was so obsessed with the ideas that they were Indians, that there were stupid Indian trinkets all over the house. She’d even dress in Native American themes from time to time.

I’d constantly roll my eyes and try not to make fun of her. 2 years ago, we got her the ancestry test and what do you know...not one bit of Native American blood!

Her whole world came crashing down. Turns out she’s English.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
For as long as my wife can remember, her grandmom swore up and down that there was Native American blood on their side of the family. With no proof of course, just dumb ass wishful thinking.

Her grandmom was so obsessed with the ideas that they were Indians, that there were stupid Indian trinkets all over the house. She’d even dress in Native American themes from time to time.

I’d constantly roll my eyes and try not to make fun of her. 2 years ago, we got her the ancestry test and what do you know...not one bit of Native American blood!

Bahahahahahahah!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

And that story is more common than most families care to admit. Interbreeding was a very serious issue for most whites and native tribes in the past. Studies have shown that less than 10% of our population comes from any kind of co-mingling of blood lines between whites and Indians. Some regions will have higher concentration of those that did co-mingle, but generally outside of Florida, Oklahoma, Arizona, and Texas, you are not likely to find much NA blood in historically European communities.

However, blacks and Latino's interbred with Indian's on a fairly regular basis. Generally, if you find that you have any kind of Native American blood relation, you will also normally find that you are part African American or Hispanic, depending upon your families geographic location.

The Native American lineage is a myth that most families repeat to feel exotic or mystic!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
What's crazy is mine returned 1000+ DNA matches. If I ever win the lottery I'll be broke.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I did Ancestry and I’ve learned a lot. I have been in touch with relatives I didn’t know existed.

My biggest regret is that I didn’t spend more time speaking to my grandparents about their heritage when they were alive.

For me it was money well spent.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
A recent article published in the Idaho State Journal (a small regional newspaper published in Pocatello, Idaho) shows at least one of the potential hazards of putting your DNA out there in the public domain: LINK.

Summary: An OB-GYN doctor was asked to facilitate getting a woman pregnant. The woman and her husband requested that the sperm donor be a college boy, at least 6 feet tall, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Since the doctor met the couple's specs, instead of using a sperm bank, the doctor used his own baby batter to successfully impregnate the woman, who had a daughter.

Thirty years later the daughter sent a swab to Ancestry dot Com and it reported back to her that the doctor was her dad, which was a BIG surprise to her -- a double shock when she saw the doctor's name on her birth certificate as having delivered her! Now the couple is suing the doctor and everybody else that was in or near the room.

Lots of stupid in this story, but the two big mistakes on the part of the doctor were 1) using his own sperm, and 2) putting his DNA profile in the public domain.

Bottom line is that when you give your DNA to these businesses, you lose control of it. This story makes one wary of not just this doctor's problem, but of lots of other potential problems that could crop up if/when one's DNA is out there for anyone to look at.

quote:
OB-GYN allegedly used his own genetic material to impregnate a patient
By BRYAN CLARK Post Register Apr 5, 2018

[Go to URL to view photo] Dr. Gerald Mortimer

A federal lawsuit filed Friday alleges a local retired obstetrician-gynecologist used his own genetic material to impregnate a patient who received fertility treatment in 1980, a fact only discovered last year when her daughter sought genetic testing.

The suit has been brought against Dr. Gerald Mortimer, an OB-GYN who was first licensed fewer than three years before the alleged incident, according to Idaho State Board of Medicine records.

Repeated efforts this week to reach Mortimer for comment were unsuccessful.

News of the lawsuit was first reported Friday by the website courthousenews.com, and the story was picked up by news organizations around the world starting Monday.

The suit alleges that Sally Ashby and her then-husband Howard Fowler sought help with trouble conceiving in 1979, when Fowler was employed at the Naval Reactors Facility. According to the suit, Mortimer recommended a procedure where Fowler’s genetic material would be mixed with a donor’s, and the mixture would be used to cause pregnancy.

The couple specified that the donor would be a man resembling Fowler: a college student with brown hair, blue eyes and more than 6 feet tall. The suit alleges they paid for access to a donor bank to obtain such a sample.

But the complaint alleges that Mortimer instead used his own genetic material, and when their daughter, Kelli Rowlette (née Fowler), was conceived, she was Mortimer’s biological offspring. Rowlette discovered that fact in July, when she received genetic testing results from Ancestry.com indicating that she was Mortimer’s child. Rowlette was unaware her parents had sought a sperm donor, or that Mortimer had been her mother’s OB-GYN.

Rowlette relayed the results to her mother, complaining that the Ancestry.com results appeared unreliable. But when her mother and father became aware of the results, they were “devastated,” according to the suit.

“Ms. Ashby and Mr. Fowler struggled to cope with their own anguish, and had difficulty contemplating the torment the discovery would cause their daughter if she found out (Mortimer was her biological father),” the complaint states.

The suit states that Rowlette finally looked at a copy of her birth certificate, which Mortimer had signed, and called her parents in a panic.

“Since discovering Dr. Mortimer’s actions, Ms. Ashby, Mr. Fowler and Mrs. Rowlette have been suffering immeasurably,” the complaint states.

The suit alleges medical negligence, failure to obtain informed consent, fraud, battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract and violations of the Idaho Consumer Protection Act. They are seeking as-yet undetermined damages in excess of $75,000 — the minimum amount to pursue such a case in federal court.

The suit also alleges negligent supervision by Obstetrics and Gynecology Associates of Idaho Falls, where Mortimer formerly worked. The firm’s lawyer issued a statement Tuesday emphasizing that none of the current staff were with the company during the period in question.

“None of the health care providers currently at Obstetrics and Gynecology Associates of Idaho Falls were part of the practice in 1979 to 1980 and they diligently strive to provide care to their patients that is in compliance with the standards of health care practice,” said Michael Wheiler, the clinic’s attorney.

In an interview, Wheiler added that Mortimer hadn’t worked at the clinic in more than a decade.

If Mortimer did use his sperm to impregnate a patient, he wouldn’t be the first doctor to have done so. There have been reports of similar actions throughout the U.S. and abroad. An Indiana fertility doctor was reported to have used his own sperm to “impregnate as many as dozens of women,” the Chicago Tribune reported in December.

Mortimer has held many prominent positions within the local community. He served six years on Bonneville Joint School District 93’s School Board in the late-1990s, according to past reporting, including serving as its chairman.

Google, Facebook, Ancestry ..... brilliant plan.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's crazy is mine returned 1000+ DNA matches. If I ever win the lottery I'll be broke.

Mine too, but since my father's family came here in 1630 (I was able to link this on Ancestry) it stands to reason. I have found 2nd cousins that I have never seen. My wife thought she was 1/4 Russian & results were no Russian but Italian. She did both Ancestry & 23&Me with similar results.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My wife's came back almost entirely British. We expected a bit more variation, in particular the separate Ireland category. She also had less than 1% Native American so we both had deceptive family histories.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

Mine too, but since my father's family came here in 1630 (I was able to link this on Ancestry) it stands to reason. I have found 2nd cousins that I have never seen. My wife thought she was 1/4 Russian & results were no Russian but Italian. She did both Ancestry & 23&Me with similar results.

my direct line goes back to 1610 or so,

and I am pretty much what we thought, (mostly English, with varying % euro and scot irish,

the kicker for me was less that 1% Senegal, and the same Asian,

I was also told my Grandmother's Grandmother was Cherokee, but I have not Native American indicators or %

wife though she was mostly Irish,, turns out she is mostly Central European

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I can apply to be a professor at Harvard Law, be invited to Sunday evening soirees at Pocahontas's, to enjoy Stone ground corn, fresh roasted buffalo, maybe even some firewater in moderation, of course. Has anyone ever received more joyful more momentous news at this late stage in their lives?

Depending on you tribal affiliation you may be entitled to a portion of CASINO PROFITS!!!! Probably could land a lucrative consulting job in the gaming area. When you have the opportunity please post a pic of your ancestors in tradional warpaint.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post