SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ancestry.com dna testing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ancestry.com dna testing Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bettysnephew:
"I was surprised by the 23 and Me of the number of Neanderthal markers I have. 307, the highest they have on file was 391. Most of my ancestors are from Central Germany so it does make sense that I would have a high number of markers. I guess I definitely qualify under the knuckle dragger group!"

We must have some German relatives.....According to 23&me I also have 307 markers for Neanderthal. Although my German/French influence is just 14.6%, and Irish and British is 71% also o.2% for Ashkenazi Jewish. A true mongrel I be!!

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I know very little about what is done for ancestry DNA testing and I am a Molecular Geneticist. I focus primarily on the Molecular Immunology side of the science. That said, you might want to check out this link about ancestry testing.

http://geneticsdigest.com/best...nEAAYAiAAEgI_pvD_BwE

They focus on services run by actual geneticists rather than the advertised well known ones like 23 and Me or Ancestry.com.

Some of the better know services do not have actual scientists reviewing the data but rely on software packages alone for making determinations. YMMV

Best of luck,

Mike (Molecular Biologist/Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Funny you should mention this.

My purpose in inquiring was to figure out how to get useable material from Pocahontas.

It might not becas easy as I hoped.

I dunno..perhaps some Brylcreem and a carnation in your lapel?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
I know very little about what is done for ancestry DNA testing and I am a Molecular Geneticist. I focus primarily on the Molecular Immunology side of the science. That said, you might want to check out this link about ancestry testing.

http://geneticsdigest.com/best...nEAAYAiAAEgI_pvD_BwE

They focus on services run by actual geneticists rather than the advertised well known ones like 23 and Me or Ancestry.com.

Some of the better know services do not have actual scientists reviewing the data but rely on software packages alone for making determinations. YMMV

Best of luck,

Mike (Molecular Biologist/Immunologist)

While I'm not in the market yet for DNA testing, it's posts like yours (insights from people with the background) that make me appreciate Sigforum.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
It's quite a business model. You pay for the test then they sell the data to researchers.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:

I'm curious and not a DNA expert by any means, but...would genes and traits affect the "percentages" in any way?

For example, like I pointed out my father is middle eastern, country TBD, and my mother is German with some Irish and Italian that we are aware of.

My sister inherited most of the traits from my mother's side - blue eyes, dark hair, fair skin, tall, etc. While I inherited the traits from my fathers side, the middle eastern traits. Dark eyes, dark skin, dark hair, etc. My sister and I don't appear related at first glance in any way.

So I wonder if she and I were to do it, if the %'s would be the same, or if I would have a higher percentage of "middle eastern heritage" while her Germanic numbers would be higher.

Again I have zero knowledge in this area, and my layman's brain seems to think that would make sense...

From what I've read, yes. Siblings would have the same regions or geographical locations but may have very different percentages.

Not an expect, but that is what I'm reading.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
My dad used to swear that the milkman was my real father, could they tell this?
I have been interested in getting these tests.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
So have I, but not now. Reading this thread, the tests aren't at all accurate, they're cataloging your data, and some people who work for these companies are unethical little leftist shits, so, no thank you.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
My daughter gave a test to both my wife and me for Christmas. We sent it off a couple of weeks ago and am waiting for the results. We have gotten some interesting info while researching family on their website. One of my relatives, don't know who, posted a pic of my great-great grandfather. He looked just like what my younger brother will look like in a few years.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I did it last year. My parents are both 100% Ukrainian, but I just wanted to see if there was a surprise in my genes.

Turns out I’m 100% Ukrainian.

Interesting, did it just list Ukrainian? I ask as my wife wants to get our 5yo done and expects it to basically list all the owners/invaders of Ukraine and Kiev Rus as it has never really been its own country.

Her Grandmother grew up in the Western UA in a village that spoke .....Turkish.

Just curious.if you are willing to share?

It never actually said Ukrainian, I think it just said something like 98% Eastern European, and had the area on the map highlighted that I’m from, which is now Ukraine. I haven’t looked at it in awhile, so there might have been more clear terminology.

The report was really interesting and I’m glad I got it. There’s tons of information in regards to health and genetics etc...

My dad came to America as a baby with my grand mom and his brother. His dad was killed fighting the Nazis. He truly realized the American Dream in every sense of the word.

When I submitted my sample, I didn’t submit my real last name since that might be a clue to heritage and what not. (Not that they’d actually base my results on my last name).

I was always curious to find out what the results would be if I submitted my cat’s saliva. But obtaining my cat’s saliva would not be an easy thing to do.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife got her Ancestry.com results this morning. My mother-in-law is from Southern France. From the map, it shows 38% Iberian Peninsula, 25% Europe West and 9% Europe South. If you overlap the maps, those three areas cover the same spots of the Pyrenees mountains of southern France and northern Spain.

Her ancestry research is back up now by DNA? She has pretty good records for 200 years in France.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Funny you should mention this.

My purpose in inquiring was to figure out how to get useable material from Pocahontas.

It might not becas easy as I hoped.

I dunno..perhaps some Brylcreem and a carnation in your lapel?

The Powhatan tribe still exists and does get lots of " might be related..." stuff. Their answers are "interesting."

quote:

Ques: "I am a Powhatan/ a direct descendent of Pocahontas, and would like to register with you. How do I go about doing that?"

We are pleased with your interest in the Powhatan Renape Nation. We hope it will be possible for you to attend one of our cultural festivals in the autumn of each year.

There are, no doubt, many persons who can trace their ancestry back to the Powhatan Confederacy, such as ourselves. In the sixteen or so generations since that time, in each generation, individuals who were descended from a marriage of a Powhatan person and a non-Powhatan person had a choice as to whether he or she wished to take on the identity of one parent or the other. We recognize those choices must have been difficult, given the disadvantages attached to "being Indian" as compared to the struggle of being accommodated within the people of the non-Powhatan parent.

As near as we know, all the descendents of Pocahontas and John Rolfe made the latter choice, continuing in each generation to marry non-Powhatan persons. As a result, the would have approximately one Powhatan ancestor and 16,383 other ancestors - they might say they were 1/16384 Powhatan. Obviously, such persons would have very little claim to membership in today's Powhatan Renape Nation, although we would value their friendship and support.

Assuming the average time between generations is 25 years:
Year Generations Quantum
1600 1
1625 2 1/2 a child born in this generation would be 1/2 Powhatan
1650 3 1/4 etc.
1675 4 1/8
1700 5 1/16
1725 6 1/32
1750 7 1/64
1775 8 1/128
1800 9 1/256
1825 10 1/512
1850 11 1/1024
1875 12 1/2048
1900 13 1/4096
1925 14 1/8192
1950 15 1/16384 assuming the adult asking the question was born in 1950 or after
Our membership is well known and it is unlikely that you are entitled to membership. However, if you still believe you have an entitlement, please send us a full family tree.

We thank you for your inquiry, and again, we invite you to become acquainted with us through attendance of one of the festivals we hold each

http://www.powhatan.org/powfaq.html

That's nothing compared to their thoughts on the Disney movie;

http://www.powhatan.org/pocc.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would I want to find more people I'm related to when I'm trying to forget many of the ones I know about now?

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
I’m into genealogy and have built out a large family tree. It’s like solving a big puzzle to me.

Ancestry.com dna testing allowed me to fill in some gaps. My grandmother’s father was always a big mystery, and dna confirmed some information. It also confirmed the origins of our various family tree branches.

It’s amazing how much is out there in public records. Once you get to 1940 (when the latest census information is available), you can take things back very far.

My surname ancestor came from England to Virginia as an indentured servant in 1620.

It can be addicting when you get into it and start chasing down leads. I’m happy to help anyone with questions or research.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
When you send in your sample, include a little note telling them what you hope to find out. For an extra 50 bucks, I'll wager that you can be whatever you want to be.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Still debating doing this just for fun although I do have some concerns about privacy, accuracy, and how the information might be used. Then again, I also figure if you've had blood drawn for any reason in the past five to ten years or maybe even longer, your DNA is likely already cataloged in medical and scientific databases or records somewhere. I may get around to it some time soon.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
It's really quite simple. . . trace your ancestors back far enough (several thousand to a million or so generations) and everyone today is probably related to everybody. Wink

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In “Innocents Abroad” Mark Twain describes his visit to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher which was reputed to be the scene of the resurrection, the exact center of the Universe and the gravesite of Adam.

“The grave of Adam! How touching it was, here in a land of strangers, far away from home, & friends, & all who cared for me thus to discover the grave of a blood relation.”

He wept.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
My dad used to swear that the milkman was my real father, could they tell this?

My oldest brother tells my middle brother: "The milkman always liked you best"

When discussing how much the three of us look alike, we say: "We sure had the same milkman for a long time"

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
There seems to be considerable doubt on the accuracy of this process. Here is a short read on the topic:
https://www.legalgenealogist.c...4/16/still-not-soup/

I would agree, my daughter got hers checked and it didn’t seem to line up with known family ancestry.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post