SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    emergency equipment.. Eton blackout buddy.. What items do you have?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

emergency equipment.. Eton blackout buddy.. What items do you have? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I have several of these from Eton, the Red Cross version. Useful night lights that can be on, or come on when there is a power loss, or a flashlight. The flashlight is bright and lasts a long time, several hours at least.

Just a handy item to have in the house. Nice and small and useful.

What household emergency equipment have you found to be useful?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Kohler whole generator

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A gas fireplace insert and gas water heater.

We tend to get nasty ice storms in winter, which frequently knock out power, sometimes for days at a time. Having the redundant ability to still heat the house and still take hot showers (even if you're in the dark) has come in handy several times.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant recommend Eton. I had one. I fired it up the day i bought it. Took the batteries and stored it in our emergency crate. A year later it refused to work with a fresh set of batteries. Wasted $50.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Woodstove, propane furnace, stove, and hot water. Two generators, one dual fuel and the other gas. Plenty of candles and lamps for light. If worse comes to worse, I've also got a flint and steel.

Eventually, hopefully next year, I'll be set up for off grid solar with a big-ass battery bank. That'll keep me covered until the EMP hits and fries the whole system. Then it's back to the flint and steel.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post