SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Info on how fostering a dog works.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on how fostering a dog works. Login/Join 
posted
From what I have read, every foster group has their own guidelines, but if anyone here has any experience with fostering a dog, can you share how it works? My sister had a ruptured brain aneurism 2 years ago so does not work. She has over 40 acres in the country & lost her dog a few months ago. They did everything together & now there is a void. Since being out of work, she does not have extra money to put into vet expenses & food, etc., but she has all the time & love in the world to give a dog. If the foster group provides for some of the expenses, I think it'd be an ideal situation for both my sister & any dogs she could help provide shelter, love, & training to. Any info is appreciated.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I've fostered a couple hounds. How its worked for me was the rescue paid for 'limited' vet expenses (because they have very limited financial resources) including all required vaccinations. I was on the hook for the dog food and treats bill, and since one of my fosters was an eight month old Great Dane, that bill added up quick. I loved most of the experience, but there are a couple negatives aside from monetary. First, I was required to bring the dog to an/all events they deemed necessary to get them adopted, which can eat into your free time pretty severely. Second, and most troublesome to me, is getting attached to the animal and then having to give them up.

Its a wonderful thing to do if you have the time, finances, and mental ability to let them go.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter (and grandson) did LOTS of them after her divorce. The shelter she worked with made sure they were neutered, had all shots and any other medical issues were taken care of. Once my daughter took them home, it was just food, etc. If they had any medical issues, the shelter took care of them. She usually didnt have them long enough to develop more issues, so that was good. This shelter handled most of the adoption work, so she didnt have a lot of running around to do. Plus she was working full time and couldnt do much.

They both loved doing it.
Daughter has stayed in touch with a few of the new owners, shared facebook pics, etc. And became good friends with 2 of the adoptive families.

I should add, it was a private shelter, not ASPCA.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
She might want to consider being a "Puppy Raiser" for an organization that provides and trains service dogs.

Here in Central FL we have Canine Companions For Independence (CCI) and while the "Raiser" commits to doing quite a bit of training it sounds like your Sister would be great for it.

I know CCI provided literally everything including food for the puppies.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
I have been involved with dog rescue for many years and fostered a few dogs.

You are correct that recuses have their own guidelines. It can cover all expenses to just the minimum. I have dealt with both and some in between.T The rescues I have worked with all required a fenced in property to lessen the chance of the dog running away, which believe me, happens more than you think.

We are seeing quite a crisis lately with the corona virus and people dumping their dogs either at an animal shelter or if the shelter is not taking anymore animals, leaving them on the streets to fend for themselves. Since there is a lot of overcrowding now, our local shelters, both gov't run and non profit, are asking the public in helping to foster out the dogs.

They have been very successful in emptying out the shelters. You might have her reach out to the local shelters and see what foster programs they have now.

She could also volunteer for a animal shelter. The ones around our parts rely hugely on volunteers. Sadly they are on lockdown, so no volunteering until the restrictions are lifted.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every organization is different. I've fostered a few and the split on the original paper was me food, them vet. But (and I'm sure this happens a lot) none of them ever left. And I'm way the better for it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I had not considered the taking them to events part. My sister lost 75% of her vision, so she cannot drive (which is why she no longer works). She has adjusted to the vision issues really well & if you did not know she is legally blind, you would never know. Depth perception is her main issue. I will look into some of the shelters/programs in her area. She lives in a different state than I do. She'd totally do volunteer work but it's the driving there part that she can't do. Her husband has to work so he can't just drive her around all the time.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post