SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back to Looking at a Honda Ridgeline.. Thoughts? Deal Done Update Page 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to Looking at a Honda Ridgeline.. Thoughts? Deal Done Update Page 2 Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I'm looking to replace both my old Toyota Tundra and 2015 Jeep Wrangler. The 6 cylinder Tundra has been a great truck but I'd like some more modern features (phone sync for hands free for instance), a bit more power and better mpg would be nice too. My son needs a truck so I'll probably sell/give it to him.

The Wrangler purchase was a mistake, I thought the wife would like it but she now doesn't like its manual transmission and won't drive it. I'm not driving it anywhere something like a Subaru Outback couldn't easily manage so it seems like off-road overkill. Basically I don't drive it much either. With a hard top, low mileage, garage kept, it should be easy to sell or maybe just trade it. In addition to these two vehicles the wife has her Rav4. Going from three to two vehicles makes some sense.

I really need a truck because I am often hauling light stuff such as bags of garbage, brush, firewood, motorcycle, etc. between various properties. I want it to be quiet and with comfortable seats (damn I'm getting old LOL). My back is aching after 2 hours in the Rav4 which is odd because I can ride all day w/o bothering my back. From just sitting in one I'm concerned that the seats and seating position in a Tacoma will bother me on those 2+ hour drives.

Compared to a Colorado or Ridgeline, a 1/2 ton Silverado or F150 wouldn't be much more (price isn't a real concern anyway) but since most of my driving is on small roads the slightly larger size is a real disadvantage for me so they're out. Which leaves me with the two choices mentioned; Ridgeline or Colorado/Canyon.

At this point I'm leaning to a Ridgeline RTL AWD. It feels more comfortable and with 4 wheel independent suspension I'm sure it'll ride and handle better. I don't see myself taking advantage of Colorado's two-range transfer case and slightly higher tow rating. In years past I would say Honda quality was way ahead of GM but I'm not sure that's the case now, also not thrilled about the Honda V6's cylinder deactivation which they've had problems with (oil consumption etc.), hopefully it's been improved.

I am interested in anyone's real world driving experience with either of these little trucks, in particular overall comfort on trips and any problems or known issues?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My co-worker has had a 2016 Colorado V6 2wd crew cab for almost 2 years now. He commutes ~45 miles 1-way 4 days a week, so he has something like 45k on it.
It's been trouble free & gets pretty decent highway MPG for him.

I'm coming up on a year in my 2.7 V6 F150, which cost only 2-3k more than the Colorado. Averaging 18-22MPG depending on where/how it's driven.

Haven't been in the Ridgeline & really like how they look (except the front end Razz ), but haven't driven one. I did check one out in the showroom when my Civic was in for service, the back seat isn't too generous, felt like a bit less legroom than the Colorado IIRC.
A former boss has a 1G Ridgeline & it was a good truck. My dad hauled a 2005 Mercedes S430 on a flat bed car trailer from Laredo to Houston, ~300-350 miles, with no problem with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the new Ridgelines but I love my 2008 RTL. I bought it new in summer of 08 when gas was $4 a gal. Huge discounts back then. Mine has been trouble free at 55,000 miles and there is nothing I'd rather drive (and make payments on)

Just the right size for my garage, easy to park and very surefooted in southern Indiana weather. It's like a Pilot with a 5 ft truckbed. Back seat is comfortable and storage is versatile, seats up it will swallow several tuff crates. AWD is effortless, it just works.

I regularly tow 1500 lbs of lawn equip easily and have towed a 20 ft bassboat w/200hp with no problem but it was a handfull.

Resale is great on used RL and I mainly see black new ones. Some complain that the new doors don't open as wide as the old ones making it harder to get larger items in. I'd go for the RL.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an older Honda Ridgeline that I inherited. It is my second pick-up ever. At first I was a bit hesitant as I had been a fast full sized sedan owner since the 1980's. I like The Ridgeline even though any use for a pickup I have is light duty. I formally had a V-8 Infiniti Q-45 and find that the operating cost is similar (Regular Vs Premium gas). I suspect that maintenance will be less but I am not sure because nothing other than a battery has gone wrong in the year and a half that I have had it.

The Ridgeline is comfortable cruising at 70 mph (the Q-45 at 80). I would describe it as a "gentleman's pick-up. I understand that the new version of the Ridgeline is a bit heavier duty; I looked at one at the dealership and came away happy with the one I have. I too would like updated electronics but have found that aftermarket additions fill my needs quite well 1. Radar Detector 2. Video with a back-up camera (a noticeable blind spot) 3. Updateable GPS with real time traffic. I have found no use for vehicle based Bluetooth although I do have a Bluetooth ear set for my phone. There are ample power sources front and back to power any accessories that need charging.

My Ridgeline has the factory installed bed cover and running boards. I like them both. The bed cover adds a bit of security and keeps the water out.

My general opinion is that I like the truck and used it as my daily driver (50-100 miles per day) without any issues. If I lived on a farm or ranch, or used it commercially, I would opt for something heavier.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, no real things posted that would be negative to me.

quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
.....I have found no use for vehicle based Bluetooth although I do have a Bluetooth ear set for my phone....

My general opinion is that I like the truck and used it as my daily driver (50-100 miles per day) without any issues. If I lived on a farm or ranch, or used it commercially, I would opt for something heavier.

But isn't connecting via Bluetooth what allows hands free phone use? That's one thing I would like as using any hand held device while driving is illegal in WV. (As far as I'm concerned it should be everywhere)

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
On looks only, I've noticed a few really sharp good looking trucks lately and they've been Colorados and Canyons, 4 door and 4wd.

Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but my personal opinion is the Fords are fugly, the GMC and Chevy full sizes are fairly nice looking, the Dodges are bland, the Toyotas, while super reliable, are stale looking. I really like the style and looks of the Colorado and Canyon. I'd love to have one but just can't justify the cost.

Man oh man, new trucks, and even used, are just outrageously priced.

If Toyota made their truck as stylish as the Colorado-Canyon, I'd be in the market for the Toyota.

Good luck in your purchase.

Posts: 11813 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
In that class, why not look at a Tacoma, especially if you liked the Tundra, but want something a little smaller?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
In that class, why not look at a Tacoma, especially if you liked the Tundra, but want something a little smaller?

I haven't completely ruled out a Tacoma but my main issue is seating position which on a Tacoma feels like the seat is a little short and low to the floor with my legs stretched out straight in front. In my Tundra, as well as Ridgeline and Colorado, the seat is higher and feels more like sitting in a chair, more natural to me.
Sizewise Tacoma is fine and while it is more capable off road it won't ride or handle as well on roads (both paved and gravel), which is where I'll be using it 99% of the time.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There are numerous aftermarket radios with BT/handsfree features.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Thanks guys, no real things posted that would be negative to me.

quote:
.....I have found no use for vehicle based Bluetooth although I do have a Bluetooth ear set for my phone....

But isn't connecting via Bluetooth what allows hands free phone use? That's one thing I would like as using any hand held device while driving is illegal in WV. (As far as I'm concerned it should be everywhere)

Absolutely this! I can't imagine ever owning a vehicle without auto connecting Bluetooth. If it isn't already mandatory on new vehicles, it soon will be.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with the Ridgeline despite what detractors say. I listened to them as well and hadn't even considered it at first. I rode in my uncles 2017 F150 yesterday and it has a lower quality interior and rides slightly worse. That surprised me as I generally like Ford trucks out of the big 3. My NAV, speakers, plastic, leather, etc were better. The only thing I'm missing is the bluetooth in the headunit.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
So your Ridgeline does not have Bluetooth? I assume it is a first generation because I believe all versions have Bluetooth now, at least the RTL which is what I looked at does.

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I just traded in a 2006 Ridgeline a few months ago for a new Ridgeline. I had 179,000 trouble free miles on it and didn't want to get rid of it until the front end was hit. I had two Tacomas before I bought my 1st Ridgeline and I just wanted something that gave me a more comfortable seating position. The Tacoma's seats are a little lower. and my back apprecited sitting a little more upright.

The Ridgeline is a comfortable truck. I am a maintenance manager for a hotel and I have used it mainly as a work truck and it has hauled everything I've ever needed it to.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely this! I can't imagine ever owning a vehicle without auto connecting Bluetooth. If it isn't already mandatory on new vehicles, it soon will be.

OK, I guess I can accept with living in the past!!! As my Ridgeline does not have built in Bluetooth is there a system that will update the older Ridgelines to current technology concerning Bluetooth (thread drift)

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
As my Ridgeline does not have built in Bluetooth is there a system that will update the older Ridgelines to current technology concerning Bluetooth (thread drift)

You can buy and install an aftermarket audio system that includes Bluetooth connectivity. Basically a complete replacement for your factory radio/CD player.

Any car audio shop should be able to help you with that.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Colorado owner here. I'm a big Toyota guy, but I couldn't get comfortable in the new Tacoma's at about 6' tall, 210 lbs. I sat on the floor I felt and looked through the top of the windshield, and the backseat in the crew cab is for kids only.

Ended up with a new 2017 Colorado crew cab short box Z71 4x4 with the V6 at a healthy discount. Bose stereo is great, interior is great, and the V6 flat out hauls ass and gets pretty damn good MPG, which was a big selling point for me. I saw as high as 25 MPG at around 70-75. Overall, I was terrified to buy a domestic product, but it really seems pretty well screwed together and is nice and quiet inside.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We briefly owned a Colorado several years ago. Five cylinder motor, I believe. What a tinny, cheesy piece of crap. The seats were killers after about 3 hours on the road. The mileage wasn't any better than a full size pickup. My wife wanted it because it was "easier to park".

Hopefully Chevrolet has greatly improved them.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
We briefly owned a Colorado several years ago. Five cylinder motor, I believe. What a tinny, cheesy piece of crap. The seats were killers after about 3 hours on the road. The mileage wasn't any better than a full size pickup. My wife wanted it because it was "easier to park".

Hopefully Chevrolet has greatly improved them.

The 2nd generation Colorado is greatly improved over the prior trucks.
Much more comfortable & pretty much the same V6 offered in the Camaro. So 300hp or so on tap.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 Colorado. It came down to the Tacoma and Colorado. The Colorado had a much more comfortable ride. The seat adjustments allowed for a comfortable ride for long distances while I felt cramped in the Tacoma with the limited range of adjustment.

The new Colorado also had the new 8 speed transmission giving me 29.8. MPG on one stretch of level interstate. I have averaged 20.1 MPG for the last 2K of combined driving.

I bought the Colorado (4D) as a car with pickup capability. I have a 3500 diesel for serious towing and hauling.

Looked at the Honda but I could not justify the higher cost for my needs. Very satisfied so far with the Colorado.

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No real world experience on the two. But have to believe that these two are not even in the ballpark in quality, ammenities, and price.
For me this choice would be easy.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post