SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back to Looking at a Honda Ridgeline.. Thoughts? Deal Done Update Page 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to Looking at a Honda Ridgeline.. Thoughts? Deal Done Update Page 2 Login/Join 
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 Colorado Z71 V6 Crew Cab with 28K miles and its been a great vehicle so far. The Apple Car Play is awesome and the Bose radio sounds great. I love the simple lay out of the cabin.

My only complaint is the stupid front air dam. The air dam is too low for a truck and I bang into the occasional curb and snow bank with it in the winter. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. As a matter of fact I had the oil changed at lunch today and I was drooling over the 2017 Colorado ZR2.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
I have a 2016 Colorado Z71 V6 Crew Cab with 28K miles and its been a great vehicle so far. The Apple Car Play is awesome and the Bose radio sounds great. I love the simple lay out of the cabin.

My only complaint is the stupid front air dam. The air dam is too low for a truck and I bang into the occasional curb and snow bank with it in the winter. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. As a matter of fact I had the oil changed at lunch today and I was drooling over the 2017 Colorado ZR2.

Similar with the air dam on my F150.
A few bolts & it's removed on mine, have also seen some take a dremel & trim it down by about half & contour the ends to flow better aesthetically.

Have probably logged a few thousand miles & haven't noticed any MPG or road/wind noise changes.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15147 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Seriously looking at 2017 Ridgeline. Wife loves her 06 Odyssey and 01 Odyssey before that.
Ridgeline is head and shoulders above others on comfort and safety (IIHS crash test ratings).
Only downside is doesn't look "tough".
Don't care.

Posts: 18014 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My father in law got a Ridgeline earlier this year and he's in love with that thing.

Posts: 13733 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
This link is to a good article about the Ridgeline. http://www.latimes.com/busines...-20170114-story.html One thing to consider is a brief fact mentioned in the article, in 2014 Honda discontinued the Ridgeline because of poor sales. Now its back; will it stay? In my mind, you need to decide if the Ridgeline's ride is better than a Canyon/Colorado or a Tacoma? If not, why buy something that looks like a truck but isn't? IOW, why limit yourself for "style" points only? As for the two models you mentioned, I would do the Colorado/Canyon and get the ZR2 edition. The ZR2 gives you Jeep capabilities with a much better ride (than a Jeep) in the size platform you want. You may also want to consider the Tacoma TRD Pro. The ZR2 was developed to compete directly with the TRD Pro. Finally, my 2007 Tacoma is pushing 170,000 miles and still rides and drives as good as the day I drove it off my dealer's lot. All that said, I'm considering the Colorado ZR2 with the Duramax engine.

Posts: 12432 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cousin (local) has a Ridgeline and he loves it, as do I. When my wife wanted a new vehicle, I tried to talk her into a Ridgeline, because frequently, she wants me to haul stuff for her that won't fit in her car.

Nope a Challenger was the car for her. and though I absolutely love it, I still get those calls to haul stuff. Wish I could have got her to drive his Ridgeline, because they're not a far stretch from driving a car.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to own a Ridgeline and it was okay, but I just bought a 2017 Colorado Duramax. I love this truck. Rated at 7500 pound towing which is more than I need. I also have a 2011 F250 with my camper on it and it runs great. It depends on the look, but I put on running boards, grille guard tonneau cover and a bedrug, totally satisfied. Good luck on your choice.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Suburu Forrester wouldn't make it up one of the local rutted roads as it only had 9" of clearance. I needed a jeep or a truck. The Ridgeline was my preferred choice until I looked at the ground clearance. Less than the 9" I already had. Got a F-150 and have been super happy.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I've had a Black Edition Ridgeline For a bit less than a year. Replaced a Ford F-150 Lariat Screw. Ridleine is 80% size, same bed capacity and tow 5,000 lbs less. We love the Ridgeline and for us is perfect. If you have questions let me know.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My uncle has a new Honda Ridgeline and I went on a 3 1/2 hours trip with him. I was just a rider, I have never driven it/one.

My impression of it was positive. The ride was excellent, by my uncle it handles well, I take his word on that, he owes a Mustang GT, tho it's a late 90's model it's not stock; as in it's got upgraded suspension and other mods.

It seemed to have good power and he said that it preformed well in the light pulling that he does.

It was a smooth quite ride and the seats were quite comfortable.

It road better than my friends Toyota Tacoma TDR, but that is five years old, so I don't know how much they have changed.

I know one thing, the new Honda Ridgeline sure looks better than the older generation!

ARman

Posts: 3144 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Imagine if you will a full load of mulch or whatever you may be hauling and you get a flat. You will have to unload the bed to get to the spare tire. Yep, the spare is under the bed accessible only from the top in the Ridgeline.

That would be a no go for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Imagine if you will a full load of mulch or whatever you may be hauling and you get a flat. You will have to unload the bed to get to the spare tire. Yep, the spare is under the bed accessible only from the top in the Ridgeline.

That would be a no go for me.

You can mount the spare inside the Ridgeline's bed, if that's a concern for you. There's an anchor point at the front of the bed.

The Gen 1s have the same feature, just in a different location.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Go drive them both. I've driven the new Ridgeline at length, both 2wd and AWD. Drive the AWD only. It has a fantastic drivetrain. Twin clutch packs in the rear that torque vector (not brake based). It's the best pavement handling truck on the market. Phenomenal ride. Honda hit it out of the park.

If you need more than 5000 lb towing, get the Canyon/Colorado, but get the Diesel. I wouldn't even consider a gas version.

Having driven both, I'd get the new Ridgeline. Such a great vehicle. Go test drive, throw it around some turns at speed. The sweet trim is the RTL AWD.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12566 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your comments and advice!

As far as Ridgeline's "limited" 8" clearance I don't think it'll be too much of a problem for me. About the only time it could be is when we get a deep snow. I have other vehicles for more serious off-road play.

The version I'm interested in is RTL which seems to be well equipped to me, leather, 10 way adjustable driver seat with lumbar support, heated seats, remote start, fog lights, acoustic windshield, tri-zone automatic climate control, 18" alloy wheels, etc. it lists for about $36,500 (I was quoted $35,000) which seems competitive with Tacoma and Canyon.
My only stipulation is I want beige leather (to match my dog LOL) so that means white or dark red exterior.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Deal was done on a 2018 AWD Ridgeline. I ended up bumping one trim level up to a RTL-T, as that was the only one they had with beige interior, for another $1,800 over an RTL. $1,800 which adds mostly fluff including LED running lights, smart key (which I didn't really want), USB smart phone interface, bigger touchscreen display, Apple CarPlay, Text function, Sirius HD radio, Pandora, Garmin based Navigation with free updates which I like, compass, and a few other little things.

I would say the deal was not great but at least fair which was giving me "excellent condition" trade-in for my 2015 Jeep Wrangler ($24,000) against $2,200 off the $38,920 msrp. So I gave them a check for $12,720 + 6% WV tax and $50 license which came to $13,533. Any fees came off their end.

The Wrangler was basically just not getting used much by either my wife or me, what the Ridgeline is really replacing is my 2004 6 cylinder 5-speed Tundra 4wd Access Cab which is going to my son. Going down from three down to two vehicles is nice.

I'd been contemplating a new truck for the last couple years and always thought it'd be a Tacoma but after analyzing exactly how I use a truck came to the realization that 1,000+ lb. bed payload and 5,000 lb. towing is all I need and I won't be mudding or rock climbing off road. It will be used primarily on paved roads with some gravel roads like the 1/2 mile section to our home. What's typically in my truck are gas/diesel cans, bags of garbage, brush, firewood, etc., the heaviest thing I carry is the occasional appliance or tow a small motorcycle trailer. So that is why a Ridgeline will be all the truck I require.

The things I really like about it are;
Ride quality it corners flat, rides nice over broken pavement and potholes.
Seating position is chair like and very comfortable.
It is very smooth and quiet, refined feeling.
All the useful storage including under the rear seats or the whole back when they're folded up. Can carry my bicycle inside when I choose. The rear trunk under the bed is really nice, I'm still deciding just how the best way to utilize it.
I think it'll make a great vehicle to car camp with.

So far I added a bed extender and can't really think of anything else I need.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking truck.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Smart decision. Fantastic drivetrain. She moves too when you punch it

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12566 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
That's a nice looking truck.

Thanks NavyGuy!

One thing some don't like about it is the front end styling. But I happen to love the short front hood that slopes down giving great forward visibility. It goes against the current truck trend of the high hoods though.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
One thing some don't like about it is the front end styling.

That, and the higher price tag, are my only two complaints about the Gen 2 Ridgelines.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Yeah it runs great. Hell it's a rocket compared to the old 6 banger Tundra with 185 hp! Big Grin