SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yamaha DT-50 chain smoking while cold. Two stroke fans..... this little thing is FUN

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Yamaha DT-50 chain smoking while cold. Two stroke fans..... this little thing is FUN Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
My Yamaha DT-50 had been hibernating for a few months so today I pulled it out from my workshop and went for a brief ride. It is street legal and is considered a moped. First off, this thing is FUN! It started on the first push of the kick starter. I push the kickstarter with my hand while I am leaned over turning the Petcock to the on position. With almost no torque you have to wring this thing out to get any power from it. In proper two stroke fashion it seems happiest when near redline and wailing out that beautiful chainsaw like sound. What an awesome ring ding ding two smoke machine. It is an absolute blast banging through the six speed gearbox and going up to redline in nearly every gear only to discover that I'm only about 5-10mph over the speed limit.

The bike chain smokes like a European when it's cold. I took a few videos showing my little Yamaha rollin coal as it warms up. The last video is with the engine warm after a brief ride, notice how little blue smoke it is blowing once the engine is warm.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/01YUY5_UYQg

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/SyfDDytE3nk

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/YW2GmLr36uI

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had a Yamaha 250 Enduro also 2 stroke in HS as a kid.
It was a blast too, it smoked, spit oil all over my pants and even once in a while flipped me over when kick starting it Big Grin but I was only 125lbs back then and that was not too hard.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun scoot. I had access to a (I think) '07 KLR250 for a while. Fun little (tall) bike.
Kick start only & I stalled it at a light one of the first times I rode it....

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Report This Post
Unbanned Member
Picture of xr650
posted Hide Post
I couldn't comprehend why your chain was smoking when cold, or at all.
Figured it out by the end of your post.

Posts: 1120 | Location: Wyldoming | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
NYINGGGG, nying, nying, nying, nying, nying, nying, nying, nying, nying, nying!!!

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'm glad nobody noticed or asked why my Tacoma in the background is taking a piss. Big Grin

HRK, I love that video.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I rode Eddie Lawson's 2 stroke Yamaha once (OW81).
I took one lap and pulled back in the pits.
It was evil.
it was scary.
And I loved it enough to know that if I rode it more, I would hurt myself or the bike.

I do love the sound!

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Rainman,

Just based off the small displacement two stroke motorcycles I have ridden I cannot begin to imagine how fun and scary that bike must have been to ride.

I recently discovered a motorcycle importer based out of Washington DC that specializes in Japanese domestic market two strokes. They currently have a 1991 Honda NSR250R in stock for a cool $8500. Eek But it is completely refurbished, street legal and squared away regarding getting it licensed, titled, and ready to roll. I am afraid this recent discovery is going to cost me a hell of a lot of money in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Find a nice yellow Yamaha RD350 or RD400. These are quite capable, but nowadays you need a few spares on hand. I miss two-smokes.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
So... um... why was the Taco taking a leak in the background?

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I alwasy experienced the same with my two strokes. Not sure why it is that way, but it is normal.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you mixing the fuel/oil manually, or does it have a functioning oil injector system? Either way, have you tried synthetic 2-cycle oil? Some have octane boosters, & fuel stabilizers blended in, for increased power, & less blow-by(smoke).

Posts: 56 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 09, 2016Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
vthoky, we had a wicked storm roll through last night and fill my truck bed with water. I unclogged the drain holes but it took a while to completely drain and is visible in the video.

This is the dirt bike I ended up getting from my friend when I called him to get info on the XS Eleven before I decided to buy it. Smile

Tact870, This bike mixes oil and fuel on its own. I honestly don't know what kind of oil is in the oil reservoir, I have not ridden it enough yet to have to refill the oil. What brand/type of oil do you recommend? The blue smoke doesn't bother me....I kinda like when it's cold and rolls coal. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I have a road trip to So Cal in the next year. A friend has given me his first bike, a 1965 Suzuki 80cc Hillbilly. New restoration project/camp bike/teach grandkids on when they get older bike. That one is a "mixer" the Posi-Force system did not arrive until 1967.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Report This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I raced motocross in the late seventies and a little into the eighties and that video brought me a smell-o-vision flashback.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Report This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Rainman,

Just based off the small displacement two stroke motorcycles I have ridden I cannot begin to imagine how fun and scary that bike must have been to ride.

I recently discovered a motorcycle importer based out of Washington DC that specializes in Japanese domestic market two strokes. They currently have a 1991 Honda NSR250R in stock for a cool $8500. Eek But it is completely refurbished, street legal and squared away regarding getting it licensed, titled, and ready to roll. I am afraid this recent discovery is going to cost me a hell of a lot of money in the future.

That is no joke.
The guys that rode those bikes had steel one's for sure.
8500 for a squared away NSR250R is a good price.
But yeah, that will cost you later...LOL

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
They smoke extra when cold due to leftover oil in the crankcase. When shut down there is still some gas/oil mix in the crankcase, the gas evaporates and leaves the oil resulting in an over oil
rich condition.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That makes sense.

I picked up my R1 today from my friend to collects/flips bikes. FINALLY! It was a bit of a road trip to get the R1 (500 + miles round trip) and I was shocked to see one of my favorite little two strokes sitting in my friends barn. The first bike I ever got was a KE100 and it is one I will always have a fondness towards. I mentioned his green KE and he let me take it for a brief spin around his yard. It was neat to get back on a KE100 after all these years....I remembered it being faster...oh well. It was still a fun and nostalgic ride this morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~