SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here it is...senate bill no. 16...if passed and signed into law Virginia will be the most restrictive firearms state in the nation
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here it is...senate bill no. 16...if passed and signed into law Virginia will be the most restrictive firearms state in the nation Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Scurvy,

The issue of the "shroud" is important. A DEM prosecutor may make a claim that is totally dishonest, not true, and not logical.

Look at the page 7 , #4 para for pistols w detachable magazines. There is no mention of magazine capacity.

If they can't claim the slide acts as a shroud, most pistols wouldn't fit into their definition of "assault firearm" no matter how big the capacity of the magazine.

But I still acknowledge I may be missing something

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I read the flood of anti-gun bills introduced in the Florida legislature this past session. The fact that they never got out of committee, and the resumes' of the far left loons who proposed them, I understand that these legislators are living in a fantasy bubble and reading from the same playbook. Oh, and the proposals are all coming from a few counties on the east coast.

Even when your state turns blue, your legislators should believe passing such laws is against the will of citizens and ultimately political suicide. I think the 2A sanctuary city movement county by county is one means of sending that signal. Local lobbying efforts and petition drives have impact as well. All politics is, after all, local.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
And in times like this, people finally understand why the state would want subjects to 'register' their guns.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Another article from our regional news:

https://www.wdbj7.com/content/...aries-565252562.html

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
We will be pushing the King George Board of Supervisors to declare King George a 2A Sanctuary on 3 Dec 2019.

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Giles County, Va added to the list.

https://www.wdbj7.com/content/...ounty-565312212.html

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the links to the articles.
I see that at least three counties are places that I have contacted in regards to applying for an LE position.

I hope more Counties follow this lead. I highly doubt Henrico or Chesterfield consider this. I may be wrong though.

I lived in Henrico for about 14 years and it seemed the last couple of years it started a real slide toward the blue.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It's such a cryin' shame that the State in which the British surrendered and threw down their muskets has turned into a Demotarded haven. You would THINK Virginians would know, from their history, what FREEDOM is and cherish it. DAMN...people are stupid. JSMH...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If the state has turned blue, I hate to say it, not only is passing these laws not political suicide, but likely what the majority of the voters want. Pro gun rights voters are now a minority in VA.

quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
《Snip》

Even when your state turns blue, your legislators should believe passing such laws is against the will of citizens and ultimately political suicide. I think the 2A sanctuary city movement county by county is one means of sending that signal. Local lobbying efforts and petition drives have impact as well. All politics is, after all, local.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This causes me to wonder if a 2A sanctuary county can stand against opposition from the state or federal government. Where do the counties get their authority? Does it vary from state to state? Also, can a city within a 2A county opt out? This maybe was discussed in another thread. If so, please direct me.
The knowledge on this forum amazes me!

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
It's such a cryin' shame that the State in which the British surrendered and threw down their muskets has turned into a Demotarded haven. You would THINK Virginians would know, from their history, what FREEDOM is and cherish it. DAMN...people are stupid. JSMH...

Yes, normally you would think so. But! one has to remember that much of the state has been taken over by liberals who migrated here from further up north when they got tired of all that BS up there. Then got here and promptly started it all over again.

And the "voters" who either stayed home, or decided to vote for some "write-in" or 3rd party candidate in protest.

When I went to vote there was NOBODY THERE TO VOTE! And that was at mid day when the polls are usually backed up. I was in, and out, in less than 5 minutes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If push comes to shove they can't. If the state police have a warrant against someone who they think has what are now illegal guns, and want to execute that warrant, there's nothing the locals can do about it.

Also, do the local PDs get state money? If so, that will be a big point of leverage.

quote:
Originally posted by Texas@Last:
This causes me to wonder if a 2A sanctuary county can stand against opposition from the state or federal government. Where do the counties get their authority? Does it vary from state to state? Also, can a city within a 2A county opt out? This maybe was discussed in another thread. If so, please direct me.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was afraid of that. It sounds about right. It is merely just symbolic, then?
In 1980, my department's payroll was mostly covered by state money. Cars and equipment were mostly grants.

But when it gets past the red flag stuff and comes to mass confiscation, I'm afraid it will be executed by national guard backed up by United Nations forces rather than locals.

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
If push comes to shove they can't. If the state police have a warrant against someone who they think has what are now illegal guns, and want to execute that warrant, there's nothing the locals can do about it.

Also, do the local PDs get state money? If so, that will be a big point of leverage.

quote:

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Probably 80% of the Democratic votes came from people both ignorant of history of Virginia and firearms.

They know the Mexican flag,EBT, college slogans, and just pure hate of conservatives.

美しい犬

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

But when it gets past the red flag stuff and comes to mass confiscation, I'm afraid it will be executed by national guard backed up by United Nations forces rather than locals.

Snap out of it, man. For chrissakes, that ain't gonna happen.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Snap out of it, man. For chrissakes, that ain't gonna happen.

Although those baby blue helmets would make nice, clear targets...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good questions.

All governments in the USA derive all of their authority from the Organic Laws of the United States as published by the Office of the House Law Revision Counsel. You can review them here: https://uscode.house.gov/brows...claws&edition=prelim

In Virginia, government gets its authority for the above laws and the Constitution of Virginia. You can read it here: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/constitution/ Note that it starts with a Bill of Rights that includes clear protections for the right to keep and bear arms (Article 1, Section 13). In this situation, the Counties are protecting the rights of the individual as they are supposed to do according to Organic Law #1, the Declaration of Independence.

It is unfortunate that so many people alive today have forgotten the words and meaning of the Declaration of Independence. In particular these words: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." The language could be updated for more modern readers but the key point is that every man and woman's right to Liberty is unalienable - it can't legitimately be granted or taken away by anyone, including petty tyrants who think they have such authority. Now the rubber will meet the road so to speak as many people think governments have the power to do anything they choose, as long as they get the "votes".

I look at the actions of the Counties as important political statements and an opportunity to re-educate people about Liberty and how precious it is. Jefferson gave us a clear understanding of Liberty: "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." https://founders.archives.gov/...ferson/98-01-02-0303

I doubt any sane man or woman - or group - is thinking about picking up their rifle and other needed tools and assaulting Richmond or standing in the way of the State Police exercising an illegitimate warrant to confiscate arms from any individual. These misguided and ill informed people in the legislature, and potentially the LEO's, need to know they are wrong about the Liberty in general and the right to keep and bear arms specifically. Moreover, we need to point out the blessing of Liberty at every turn to everyone because so few people understand them or grasp what is actually at stake at this point in history.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably 80% of the Democratic votes came from people both ignorant of history of Virginia and firearms.
They know the Mexican flag, EBT, college slogans, and just pure hate of conservatives.

Not only that, but they really have no idea what leftists are really like when they take power.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

It's not just the county gov't that needs to be involved, the sheriff and commonwealth's atty also need to be on board.

Anybody that's arrested would likely be housed in the facilities for that jurisdiction. If the Sheriff refuses to house them, that creates a logistics problem for the arresting agency.

If the commonwealth's atty refuses to prosecute any unconstitutional charges, charges will be dismissed. All this crap would be tied up in the courts for some time.

What all of this does is to put the VA legislature on notice that they are subject to losing their seats in Richmond. If they see enough people will vote to oust them, they might rethink their position on these bills and our concerns would be averted.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
At least the 2A sanctuary county movement is taking off in Virginia. I am proud to see that the county where I grew up in Texas has had the county commissioners unanimously pass a resolution declaring it a Second Amendment Sanctuary County, with the county sheriff fully on board.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post