SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here it is...senate bill no. 16...if passed and signed into law Virginia will be the most restrictive firearms state in the nation
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here it is...senate bill no. 16...if passed and signed into law Virginia will be the most restrictive firearms state in the nation Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I could not find the bill that changed the law to make possession a felony. Only transfers, seemed to be effected.

Do you guys know which HB or SB it was?

Looks like it’s HB4021

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-b...4.exe?192+sum+HB4021

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
And SB 16
SB 16 Prohibiting sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms and certain firearm magazines; penalties.
Introduced by: Richard L. Saslaw | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles

SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:
Prohibiting sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms and certain firearm magazines; penalties. Expands the definition of "assault firearm" and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill also prohibits a person from carrying a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered in a public place; under existing law, this prohibition applies only in certain localities. The bill makes it a Class 1 misdemeanor to import, sell, barter, or transfer any firearm magazine designed to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
It's states quite clearly right there in the Constitution of the United States....'Shall NOT Be Infringed'!

I would expect widespread non-compliance! It seems very likely that 'Come and Take It' will have more than just historical significance at some point....

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

3). You have until the new code takes effect on 7/1/20 to move out of state, turn in, render inoperable or destroy any of the prohibited weapons.

First of all, Thanks to Kevbo for posting this.

My question: What is the definition of "render inoperable" that would pass legal muster? Can you just remove the firing pin or does something more substantial need to be done?

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It’s in SB 16 down towards the end
18.2-308.8. Look at section B. It’s the one with a bunch of stuff lined out. They are basically trying to implement this by modifying the part of the code that previously made street sweepers illegal. They have lined out all the old code and just added language that says all assault firearms as defined in section A are illegal to import, manufacture, sell, possess or transport.

It’s that little “possess” part that gets you

quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I could not find the bill that changed the law to make possession a felony. Only transfers, seemed to be effected.

Do you guys know which HB or SB it was?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-b...4.exe?192+ful+HB4021

It’s actually rewriting 18.2-308.8 Scroll near the end. I posted where you can scroll to. Saves the searching.

The parts that are struck through on the website didn’t paste as struck through. So what I pasted isn’t perfectly accurate.

§ 18.2-308.8. Importation, sale, possession, etc., of assault firearms prohibited; penalty.

A. For purposes of this section:

"Assault firearm" means:

1. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the rifle; (iii) a thumbhole stock; (iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (v) a bayonet mount; (vi) a grenade launcher; (vii) a flare launcher; (viii) a silencer; (ix) a flash suppressor; (x) a muzzle brake; (xi) a muzzle compensator; (xii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a muzzle brake, or (d) a muzzle compensator; or (xiii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (xii);

3. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

4. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a thumbhole stock; (iii) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (iv) the capacity to accept a magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (v) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the pistol with the non-trigger hand without being burned; (vi) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; (vii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a barrel extender, or (d) a forward handgrip; or (viii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (vii);

5. A shotgun with a revolving cylinder that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material; or

6. A semi-automatic shotgun that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock, (ii) a thumbhole stock, (iii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the shotgun, (iv) the ability to accept a detachable magazine, (v) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds, or (vi) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (v).

"Assault firearm" includes any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert, modify, or otherwise alter a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts that may be readily assembled into an assault firearm. "Assault firearm" does not include (i) a firearm that has been rendered permanently inoperable, (ii) an antique firearm as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2, or (iii) a curio or relic as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2.

B. It shall be is unlawful for any person to import, sell, possess or transfer the following firearms: the Striker 12, commonly called a "streetsweeper," or any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun of like kind with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding twelve shotgun shells, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport an assault firearm. A violation of this section shall be is punishable as a Class 6 felony.

C. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any government officer, agent, or employee, or member of the Armed Forces of the United States, to the extent that such person is acquiring, possessing, transferring, or transporting an assault firearm within the scope of his official duties; (ii) the manufacture of an assault firearm by a firearms manufacturer for the purpose of sale to any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or to a law-enforcement agency in the Commonwealth for use by that agency or its employees, provided that the manufacturer is properly licensed under federal, state, and local laws; or (iii) the sale or transfer of an assault firearm by a licensed dealer to any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or to a law-enforcement agency in the Commonwealth for use by that agency or its employees.

§ 18.2-308.9. Import, sale, possession, etc., of certain firearm magazines; penalty.

A. For purposes of this section, "large-capacity firearm magazine" means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition, including any such device with a removable floor plate or end plate if the device can be readily extended to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition. "Large-capacity firearm magazine" does not include (i) a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition or (ii) an attached tubular device designed to accept and only capable of operating with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

B. It is unlawful for any person to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport any large-capacity firearm magazine. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 6 felony.

C. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any government officer, agent, or employee, or member of the Armed Forces of the United States, to the extent that such person is acquiring, possessing, transferring, or transporting a large-capacity firearm magazine within the scope of his official duties; (ii) the manufacture of a large-capacity firearm magazine by a firearms manufacturer for the purpose of sale to any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or to a law-enforcement agency in the Commonwealth for use by that agency or its employees, provided that the manufacturer is properly licensed under federal, state, and local laws; or (iii) the sale or transfer of a large-capacity firearm magazine to any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or to a law-enforcement agency in the Commonwealth for use by that agency or its employees.

§ 18.2-308.10. Import, sale, possession, etc., of silencers; penalty.

A. For purposes of this section, "silencer" means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a firearm, including any part or combination of parts designed or intended for use in assembling or fabricating such a device.

B. It is unlawful for any person to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport a silencer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 6 felony.

C. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any government officer, agent, or employee, or member of the Armed Forces of the United States, to the extent that such person is acquiring, possessing, transferring, or transporting a silencer within the scope of his official duties; (ii) the manufacture of a silencer by a firearms manufacturer for the purpose of sale to any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or to a law-enforcement agency in the Commonwealth for use by that agency or its employees, provided that the manufacturer is properly licensed under federal, state, and local laws; or (iii) the sale or transfer of a silencer to any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or to a law-enforcement agency in the Commonwealth for use by that agency or its employees.

§ 18.2-308.11. Import, sale, possession, etc., of trigger activators prohibited; penalty.

A. For the purposes of the section, "trigger activator" means any device that allows a semi-automatic firearm to shoot more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger by harnessing the recoil energy of any semi-automatic firearm to which it is affixed so that the trigger resets and continues firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter.

B. It is unlawful for any person to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport any trigger activator. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 6 felony.

§ 18.2-308.12. Surrender, etc., of prohibited assault firearm, firearm magazine, silencer, and trigger activator.

Any person who legally owns an assault firearm, as defined in § 18.2-308.8; large-capacity firearm magazine, as defined in § 18.2-308.9; silencer, as defined in § 18.2-308.10; or trigger activator, as defined in § 18.2-308.11, on November 1, 2019, may retain possession of such assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator until July 1, 2020. During this time period, such person shall (i) render the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator permanently inoperable; (ii) remove the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator from the Commonwealth; (iii) transfer the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a person outside the Commonwealth who is not prohibited from possessing the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator; or (iv) surrender the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a state or local law-enforcement agency. The provisions of § 15.2-915.5 shall not apply to any assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator surrendered to a local law-enforcement agency pursuant to this section.

§ 19.2-386.28. Forfeiture of weapons that are concealed, possessed, transported or carried in violation of law.

Any firearm, stun weapon as defined by § 18.2-308.1, or any weapon, magazine, silencer, or trigger activator concealed, possessed, transported, or carried in violation of § 18.2-283.1, 18.2-287.01, 18.2-287.4, 18.2-308.1:2, 18.2-308.1:3, 18.2-308.1:4, 18.2-308.2, 18.2-308.2:01, 18.2-308.2:1, 18.2-308.4, 18.2-308.5, 18.2-308.7, or 18.2-308.8, 18.2-308.9, 18.2-308.10, or 18.2-308.11 shall be forfeited to the Commonwealth and disposed of as provided in § 19.2-386.29.

2. That there is hereby appropriated from the balance of the general fund in fiscal year 2020 the amount of $50,000. The Director of the Department of Planning and Budget shall allocate such appropriation among the agencies and programs impacted by this act.

3. That the provisions of this act may result in a net increase in periods of imprisonment or commitment. Pursuant to § 30-19.1:4 of the Code of Virginia, the estimated amount of the necessary appropriation cannot be determined for periods of imprisonment in state adult correctional facilities; therefore, Chapter 854 of the Acts of Assembly of 2019 requires the Virginia Criminal Sentencing Commission to assign a minimum fiscal impact of $50,000. Pursuant to § 30-19.1:4 of the Code of Virginia, the estimated amount of the necessary appropriation cannot be determined for periods of commitment to the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
wondering how the sanctuary measures will work,
since VA has a law on the books saying that any law passed must be passed by the State Gov't , not local Gov'ts,

that law was put in place to prevent cities and counties from enacting more strict gun laws , and to keep the State consistent,

It works when the rural counties refuse to enforce the state law. Without access to the local jails and personnel, it is difficult for the State to enforce its laws. There just aren’t that many State Police, and if they cannot use the Sheriff’s jailhouse, enforcement becomes problematic.

Most likely this becomes a law on the books, like the CT AWB, that gets soft enforced at first. It will lay in wait to be gently ratcheted up over the years. In fifty years it will be absolute like the Sullivan law in NYC.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not yet defined. In HB 4201 that was introduced at the special session it said the move, render inoperative, etc etc. that’s where I got that language, but it wasn’t part of SN 16. All it says in SB 16 is it is illegal to possess anything that is defined in section A. The bill was referred to committee for when they get back in January so I would imagine it’s hammered out then. But the Dems learned their lesson with the AWB. It’s why there is no grandfathering this time around. The loopholes that existed in the AWB will not be present here.

quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

3). You have until the new code takes effect on 7/1/20 to move out of state, turn in, render inoperable or destroy any of the prohibited weapons.

First of all, Thanks to Kevbo for posting this.

My question: What is the definition of "render inoperable" that would pass legal muster? Can you just remove the firing pin or does something more substantial need to be done?

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
And if the Democrats win the Senate and the White house in 2020,they will run roughshod over the entire nation.

It has become abundantly clear that the Democrats are on a war front like nothing we have ever seen before in our history. Ordinary people better wise up quickly or our nation will never be the same,if it even survives.

This is what scares me and it could happen.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Anytime some dumbass tries to argue for "common sense guns laws" this is what they are pushing for. Not the watered down bullshit they act like we can all get along with. If this passes I hope those trying to collect/steal firearms from law abiding citizens wake up each day truly wondering if they will make it home.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure a lot of people's idea of "common sense gun laws" is "nobody has any guns, ever, for any reason."

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HB 4021 was filed during the special session last July. It was not prefiled yesterday. I fixed the links in the OP so you can see the list of the bills prefiled and then the link to SB16

That doesn’t mean the house won’t just reintroduce something like HB 4021 when they reconvene in January (it would be called something different because the numbering starts again with the new session in January). It just means that it wasn’t prefiled yesterday

——————————————————

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Sounds like a lot of people that visit or go on vacation to Virginia are in for quite a shock when they get there. Looks like I need to go somewhere else next year.

It may help if this is brought to the attention of these dumbasses that their favorite law will hurt the financial well being of the tourism industry as well. Not that this will matter. As long as they feel good about themselves. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Time to change the state flag. Sic semper tyrannis doesn’t seem to fit so well anymore.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
My county hasn't started talking about being a sanctuary county, yet. I hope they do.

Our sheriff, who was just reelected for four more years, said he will not comply with any anti 2A laws. If necessary, he said he will swear in any law abiding citizen, as a auxiliary deputy, to aid in the non-compliance.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Similar bills have been introduced in Florida several times. The most recent died in committee this year but they will continue to come back.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope and pray that the "if" in the title becomes a "IF". First, it has to be enacted as drafted.
We have a few months to get ready to fight it fellows.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know, I'm pretty sure a lot of people's idea of "common sense gun laws" is "nobody has any guns, ever, for any reason."

Leftists want to take your guns. We all know it.
They can't impose their will (at least not completely) on an armed populace.
Socialism kills, every time it's tried.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
Our sheriff, who was just reelected for four more years, said he will not comply with any anti 2A laws. If necessary, he said he will swear in any law abiding citizen, as a auxiliary deputy, to aid in the non-compliance.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
My county hasn't started talking about being a sanctuary county, yet. I hope they do.

So "in theory" every firearm owner in the county would be a LEO and therefore not subject to the law?

Ok.....that would be pretty damned funny, almost as much as listen to the progs heads explode.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any chance he’d extend that courtesy to someone in prince William county?

quote:

——————————————————