SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well, here I sit in the hospital. Guess it’s my turn
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, here I sit in the hospital. Guess it’s my turn Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted
I strained my back a few weeks ago moving stuff and it’s been bothering me off and on ever since.

The other day a bottle of thinner my wife had failed to screw the top onto fell of a shelf in the garage and behind our miter saw and was pouring. I had to lunge to get and felt something change in my back

That was Thursday. It got progressively worse until this morning

I feel what can only be described as extreme pressure in the lower right portion of my back, and my entire leg feels like it’s been charley horsed and cant decide to wake up. The pain to simply move is excruciating, and I can’t move, walk, or stand up. Started losing feeling in the leg entirely and it’s weak and unusable. And I started losing feeling in my junk and it’s very hard to urinate

When I fell and could only crawl dragging my leg behind me my wife (who is a doctor) had had enough...she called the rescue squad and now here I am for going on 6 hours now

They’ve decided I need an emergency mri, but want that done at a hospital with a neurosurgeon, so here I wait for an ambulance to take me to a bigger hospital

Send your prayers to the other members of the forum who are or have loved ones that are way worse off than I am

It’s been a banner week

First my oven blew up

Then the hvac unit at my business caught fire

And now this

I’m thankful for my problems every day. But if we could spread them out a little bit I’d be grateful...

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it's just a back sprain - extremely painful, but they do heal.
Best of luck!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Sounds kinda like what I've been going through only a lot worse, you've got my attention and prayers, Kevbo, hoping for the best. Keep us updated.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Good grief. Hang in there man, back problems are no joke!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Prayers for a quick recovery from.....whatever is going on. Keep us posted.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Those nerves do crazy things when inflamed or impinged - weird sensations and pain. Takes a long time to heal too. Best wishes to you.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I have disc bulges at L4, L5. I have had similar pain, MRIs, multiple doctors, etc.. Based on that here is my armchair doctoring.

Read this book! https://www.amazon.com/Foundat...idence/dp/1609611004 Foundation Redefine your core, conquer back pain and move with confidence

My diagnosis,

- Very badly bulging or herniated disc or discs, probably L4, L5. The disk material is pushing out the backside of the disc and compressing your spinal nerves into the lumbar vertebrae.

This disc will not repair itself. At a young age the veins that brought blood to them for their growth stopped functioning and were dissolved. Thus the disc gets no blood to repair itself. (same with knee cartilage)

your doctor is likely to recommend the following options.

Treatment option 1:
- 2-4 hydrocodone, or oxycodone ever 4 hours.
- lay on your stomach, get all pressure off your back. Probably good to do now regardless (ask your doctor for their direction)
- Physical therapy starting with press ups, easy at first, 3 sets of 15. You may only be able to raise your neck first then moving on to your shoulder, upper back, mid and finally lower back. Take it very easy do a few small ones just upper back and slow move down adding more vertebra each time. take it very easy!!! This will compress the back of the discs and push the disc material forward away from the nerves.
- additional PT stretches, Yoga Cow pose, NO CAT! Child's pose, 2-3 other I can't remember their names.

Treatment option 2:
- laser spin therapy cutting the bulging disc off at the bulge.

Treatment options 3: if it is really, really bad. Fly to Germany and have them put in artificial discs to replace the ones that failed

Treatment option 4: Spinal fusion. This is a really bad option. Research the hell out of it and know before you let them do it. A common issue with fusion is that now the discs above and below the fused area will take more of the load and they will also fail.

Treatment option 5: This won't help you today, maybe in 2-3 years. http://www.mesoblast.com/produ...ogenic-low-back-pain Mesoblast is in stage 3 clinical trials of an injection process that would actually repair the disc.

Additionally, you can expect to lose 1/2" to 1" of height.

this book is a must read for everyone on this forum!

https://www.amazon.com/Foundat...idence/dp/1609611004

----------

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Please let us know how things go for you. Sending prayers your way.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you. I've had a bulged/herniated disc with some of it removed. I do some yoga and keep it in check. I'll never do things like I used to, but I feel lucky I'm not worse off. You will get better.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Oh man, best wishes and a prayer for your well being.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It is 0133 and I am finally at hospital number 2

It didn’t even register that yesterday was 4/20

There are more cops here than nurses

I’m stuck in the hallway. No room

I am currently watching 6 security guards and 3 Fairfax county cops prepare to do a cavity search on a dude. They lost track of where he was and he was, of course, in the bathroom

The ride up here on 66 sucked. Ambulance stretchers are not built for comfort. The morphone they gave me as we left helped, and now that I’m Back on a bed the pain is back to a manageable level. I still can’t really feel My right foot

I sent my wife home when they told me they were transporting me to get some sleep. Now that I’m here I’m tempted to just let her sleep until I get out of MRI. She will be pissed, but she needs it.

I’m cold. When they transported me from my house I didn’t have socks or shoes on

I appreciate the advice And concern

Phone is at 11% but I will try and check back in

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Let me know where you end up and I'll visit.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Ask for a warm blanket!

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
it's those sudden movements that will kill you.

Hope you feel better.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I’m having surgery on my spine at 0800. Mri didn’t well. Things moving fast now

——————————————————

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Best of luck in the morning!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have ruptured disks are L4-5 and L5-S1. I had that with exactly the same symptoms. I got it from twisting while lifting a boat battery. I ended up having micro-diskectomies at both levels. That procedure is essentially arthroscopic and it took me about 1-2 weeks to heal. That was about 12 years ago and I haven't had any symptoms since.

Ruptures are a mechanical problem that really need a mechanical fix. You will never get back to 100% with medication, physical therapy and exercises. And its a lot easier when the ruptures are new.

Good luck.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
I have disc bulges at L4, L5. I have had similar pain, MRIs, multiple doctors, etc.. Based on that here is my armchair doctoring.

Read this book! https://www.amazon.com/Foundat...idence/dp/1609611004 Foundation Redefine your core, conquer back pain and move with confidence

My diagnosis,

- Very badly bulging or herniated disc or discs, probably L4, L5. The disk material is pushing out the backside of the disc and compressing your spinal nerves into the lumbar vertebrae.

This disc will not repair itself. At a young age the veins that brought blood to them for their growth stopped functioning and were dissolved. Thus the disc gets no blood to repair itself. (same with knee cartilage)

your doctor is likely to recommend the following options.

Treatment option 1:
- 2-4 hydrocodone, or oxycodone ever 4 hours.
- lay on your stomach, get all pressure off your back. Probably good to do now regardless (ask your doctor for their direction)
- Physical therapy starting with press ups, easy at first, 3 sets of 15. You may only be able to raise your neck first then moving on to your shoulder, upper back, mid and finally lower back. Take it very easy do a few small ones just upper back and slow move down adding more vertebra each time. take it very easy!!! This will compress the back of the discs and push the disc material forward away from the nerves.
- additional PT stretches, Yoga Cow pose, NO CAT! Child's pose, 2-3 other I can't remember their names.

Treatment option 2:
- laser spin therapy cutting the bulging disc off at the bulge.

Treatment options 3: if it is really, really bad. Fly to Germany and have them put in artificial discs to replace the ones that failed

Treatment option 4: Spinal fusion. This is a really bad option. Research the hell out of it and know before you let them do it. A common issue with fusion is that now the discs above and below the fused area will take more of the load and they will also fail.

Treatment option 5: This won't help you today, maybe in 2-3 years. http://www.mesoblast.com/produ...ogenic-low-back-pain Mesoblast is in stage 3 clinical trials of an injection process that would actually repair the disc.

Additionally, you can expect to lose 1/2" to 1" of height.

this book is a must read for everyone on this forum!

https://www.amazon.com/Foundat...idence/dp/1609611004

----------

They are doin artificial discs in the states now. Dr Giovaninni in Pensacola put one in a friend of mine. He had to fuse my cervical. Too much arthritic problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
If you didn’t get a sudden I will describe it as WHITE LIGHT pain sounds like a bulging but it could be a ruptured disc at L4-L5 or L5-S1.
My disc ruptured, which ended my career with permanent nerve damage. Will be praying for you Kevbo that you have a complete and full recovery.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
You’re having surgery on Easter. Good day to have surgery and be “reborn”.

You’ll be in our prayers this morning. Best of luck in surgery, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post