SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need to draw up what I call a simple contract.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to draw up what I call a simple contract. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I am selling a recreation vehicle. The details are:

price is 17k.

Items is, as is. No Warranty

Buyer is providing a non refundable 1/3 down payment. Which I am cashing.

Lump sum balance to be paid in sixty days.

Title to be signed over and provided at the time final payment is made.

I am thinking or just drawing it up. Include vehicle description with vin. Having him sign it. Both have a copy.

Is there a better way to go?

Anything I need to include or change?

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
I would include turning the vehicle over at the same time the title is signed and turned over. In other words, don't turn over the vehicle until final payment received.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yes YJ, he does not get the vehicle until the full payment is made. I did not mention that specifically but implied it in mentioning he gets the titles when the final payment is made. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
do a search for vehicle sales agreement to get an idea.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Provide proof of full coverage insurance.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
dg, once he completely pays for it. He gets the title and the vehicle. So your comment does not apply. Thanks though.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Write it up to the best of your ability. Keep it simple and straight forward.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have them make the final payment and then go to the DMV and have it registered in their name. Then when they come back with the registration papers, I give them the key.

If they drive off and get in an accident, you want the vehicle to be in their name.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Only thing I'd do is check with you DMV and see if the have a form to report that you've sold a vehicle. If so, fill it out with buyer's information, note the mileage at time of transfer, and turn it in to the DMV. That way if anything goes sideways, there are any parking tickets, or whatever else, it won't come back to you.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
You should also include what rights you have or don't have to the rv after the deposit is cashed.

Are you allowed to use it or must it be left alone. Are you required to keep insurance on it.

The contract should protect both parties.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Another note for the contract may be who is responsible for insurance/liability prior to closing of the sale (we assume it to be you, but I'd spell that out, perhaps with a policy). IF I was the buyer, I'd push for the funds to be held in escrow...with a copy of the contract. Obviously if the amount of the total transaction isn't a lot, then that wouldn't pencil. If it was anything over $40K, I'd insist on it. Other people's thresholds may be different.

Also...perhaps the signing should be done in front of a notary? I assume that you'd both want copies. Since you plan to cash the deposit check, perhaps just transact at your bank...they'll notarize the contract for free (assuming you have a good bank).

If things go sour and you end up keeping the deposit, I'd want his signature to have been witnessed.

There are other good suggestions in this thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Make sure to call it a down payment or partial payment, not deposit.
The lawyers here can step in but I think there is a legal distinction.
Be sure both get signed copies of the contract.
Make a bill of sale when it closes including mileage/odometer statement.
Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out otherwise.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
IANAL, but "Sold As Is, no warranty expressed or implied, and Sold As Is, with no liability expressed or implied".

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm just trying to help but you might as well wait for one of the forumn's lawyers to step in.

I see two red flags which I have a question on based on several years of faithfully watching Judge Judy.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Yes YJ, he does not get the vehicle until the full payment is made. I did not mention that specifically but implied it in mentioning he gets the titles when the final payment is made. Thank you.

If you're going to have a contract then you should express everything material instead of assuming that what you imply is clear and understandable to the other person or to the judge should things go south.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
dg, once he completely pays for it. He gets the title and the vehicle. So your comment does not apply. Thanks though.

Why doesn't DG's proof of insurance not apply? Until he gets the title, then you're the owner.

If the worse possible case happens, all you have to show is the first payment made with the rv possibly destroyed or unusable and you'd be on the hook for whatever liabilities are associated with the RV like impound fees while the other party just walks away from the situation and all they're out is their first deposit.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Notarization isn't needed unless you doubt the person you are contracting with is the person he claims to be. That is all notarization does - confirms that the person is who they say they are. It doesn't make the contract any more enforceable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks I appreciate the thoughts guys. Some valid points. Thanks Jhe888 for the clarification and the Notary.

My state requires a notary to release the title upon a sale and transfer, Fwiw.