SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back again, to "READ threads before you post to them"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back again, to "READ threads before you post to them" Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
It all comes down to that. Some members cannot be bothered to read the posts on the very page of a thread they're posting to. They can't be bothered to even scroll up and look for my avatar, and then read at least my posts, as I've suggested more than once.

I'm in this forum, day in, day out. I have been for years on end. I can tell you that we've always had a minor problem with some members failing to read or even scan threads before they post to them, but in the past few months, this has become epidemic. It's never been as bad as it has been of late, not even close. I'm not going to speculate on the reasons why. I'm just going to keep saying this over and over until I get through to those who are behaving this way.

To all posting members who don't behave in this attention-deficient way, please bear with me. Most active members do appear to read threads sufficiently before posting.

Naturally, if a thread is, say, thirty pages long and you're opening it for the first time, it's highly unlikely you would read all posts. I wouldn't expect any of you to do so.

But, there are three things all active members should do before posting to a thread:

• Read the first post in the thread. It astonishes me that some of you read only the subject line of a thread before you dive in. I know this happens. It's evident. This is a bad habit which may come back to bite you.

• Read the last few posts in the thread. Read everything on the last page of a thread before you post. If the page is new and there's only a couple of posts on the page, go back to the previous page and read through that page. The tone and direction of a thread can change rapidly. You need to determine the tone and direction of a thread before you post to it.

• Read my posts in a thread. The reasons for this should be self-evident. There's an easy way to do this, even in a multi-page thread. I don't change my avatar. No one else here has an identical avatar. Scan down the page and look for my avatar. When you see it, stop and read my posts. This may save you some grief from the big bad mean admin.

I'm going to keep saying this until the offenders get it. Before you hit the 'Reply' button, be familiar with the subject matter of the thread. Be familiar with the tone and direction of the thread, and read my posts.
  •  
    Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The guy behind the guy
    Picture of esdunbar
    posted Hide Post
    It really doesn’t take long to go back a couple pages even. One is hardly a big ask. Also, I can’t believe folks don’t look for your avatar in the long threads...that’s usually where the funny and/or good stuff happens.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    Having to repeat this is so freakin' boring, I'm boring my own damn self.

Hey, Para, fuck you!

7.62mm Crusader
    posted Hide Post
    Hey, you cant talk to Para like that.. Big Grin. I love reading this Forum. Most topics of interest keep my attention.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    I'll tell you guys something, and it may come as a surprise to long time members. I don't recall ever saying this to you guys before, but I get tired of being the harsh scold in this place. I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I'm just really tired, that's all.

I'm proud of what I've created in this place, this little corner of the web universe. It reflects much of my personal philosophy: love of my country and its Constitution, the right of self-determination and self-defense; judging and reacting to others by their actions and words and not their appearance; truthfulness and candor.

I guard the borders of this place fiercely. Since opening up registration to gmail and other web-based email, not a day goes by that the wrong people in the wrong places on this planet aren't knocking on the door. I guard the forum internally as well, addressing on a perpetual basis certain unwelcome behaviors. To do these things is good and proper, but I have a tendency to get wrapped around the axle and lose sight of my purpose. Once you get to my age, you know yourself pretty well, and I can tell you that I am patient with a thing until I am patient no more, and that tipping point comes in the blink of an eye. My throttle has two positions- Idle and Wide Fucking Open. There are times in my life when this is to my advantage, but it is not so when I scold the good people in this forum, and- the good people- well, that's almost all of you.

I've gone through some trying things lately, as have we all, and I am just plain tired, gents. I need to catch my second wind. There's a lot going on that I am unable to explain to you, and that's not for lack of desire to do so. I ask your patience, and in return, I will try to find mine. The world is boiling over right now and no man can go it alone. There's just no way.

You guys just need to know that although I have never met most of you, nor will I ever, I know that behind these screen names and and handfuls of words are a lot of very good, very kind and decent people, and every person drawing breath right now needs to give themselves a pat on the back for the simple act of facing life. None of us asked to be thrown into this mad world.

I figure this thread would be as good a place as any to post this, so, there you have it.

...do justly, love
    mercy, walk humbly...
    posted Hide Post
    Understood...thanks for sharing. And though this is not a deep, profound statement: we here, will weather these storms, together.

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Rumors of my death
    are greatly exaggerated
    Picture of coloradohunter44
    posted Hide Post
    I'm sure we have all stepped in it once or twice. Ya miss a few days around here and it hard not to get behind. But I agree, some comments shot from the hip just don't make sense if you haven't bothered to see what the post is really all about. Thanks for your work and everything you do to keep the ship afloat.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Thank you for posting that piece. I had sensed that you were getting tired.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lawyers, Guns
    and Money
    Picture of chellim1
    posted Hide Post
    Hang in there, Para. Get some sleep.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
    -- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
    -rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Where liberty dwells,
    there is my country
    Picture of Nick
    posted Hide Post
    This was the first forum I ever joined, and for the past few years, the only one Where I am still an active participant. It is the good people here, with their solid advice, staunch opinions and giving nature that keep me here.

Para; you have created a unique environment that we all benefit from. Thank you for the hard work and no BS management skills. I can only imagine what kind of crap you have to deal with that is obscured from our view; Like herding blind kittens, I suspect.

I hope thing smooth out for you moving forward. Hang in there, brother - and thank you.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just mobilize it
    posted Hide Post
    Since I have joined this forum over 15 years ago, I have learned more than I ever thought I would through wonderful dialogue and genuinely thoughtful exchange on here. I am humble enough to say I still have a lot to learn and there are many great minds on this forum. This place has been a nice constant in my life as so many things have changed over the years. Through times of feeling on top of the world to times I could not get out of bed, I came here to escape and to enjoy myself. It has been the honest to goodness best thing on the World Wide Web I’ve known and I, like most on here, truly appreciate the tight ship you run as it means that there is always a very high probability that anyone we engage with on here is of good nature and it helps to ease the mind. I hope you feel better Para and wish you and yours well as we all weather the rest of what 2020 has to offer.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    crazy heart
    Picture of mod29
    posted Hide Post
    You should be proud of what you've created here. And we all appreciate it.
    And everyone gets tired from time to time. It happens.

I'm just glad there's a place I can go for a reasoned discussion about the events going on in this country, and beyond. A bit of sanity, which is needed more than ever these days.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    Picture of Beancooker
    posted Hide Post
    Para,

I sent an email the other day because I was a little worried about you. Your third post in this thread has put those worries to rest. I’m sorry that you have to repeat this same crap, over and over. There are a lot of threads I read that it’s obvious that the thread title was read and a reply was made.
    I hope someday things mellow out a little and you don’t have to always be the one doing the scolding.

***ETA - I always read your posts in a thread. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have made it this many years here.

quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
    The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    The world is boiling over right now and no man can go it alone. There's just no way.

Pretty much nailed how I've been feeling lately. I appreciate your creation here, Para. This place is, if not exactly solace, then surely at least a lot of collective strength and wisdom. It's been invaluable to me in getting through this year, and the work you put in and the stress I'm sure that comes with it is deeply appreciated by, and not wasted on so many here.

As a wiser man than myself once told me, "calm blue oceans." Smile

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of heisrizn
    posted Hide Post
    No better forum on the planet. In part, due to Para monitoring it well and the general caliber of members. I don't find the two mutually exclusive.

Thx Para, be well brother.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Low Profile Member
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I've gone through some trying things lately, as have we all, and I am just plain tired, gents. I need to catch my second wind.

truly hope that happens soon. I've never said it but you should know I really appreciate all you do here.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Throwin sparks
    makin knives
    Picture of sybo
    posted Hide Post
    Para, Sending good vibes for rest, rejuvenation, and clarity. Thank you for this really cool “ gathering place”

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of just1tym
    posted Hide Post
    Yesterday I had read an old email from you in response to a query of mine, it made me appreciate your diligence and compassion for others, the invisible "us". I thought of you, and know that you're uplifted by prayers, and most certain that many here also say a word on your behalf.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Plowing straight ahead come what may
    Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
    posted Hide Post
    I know about what you speak... health issues made worse with this fucking time we have been forced with...hang in there my friend and prayers/positive thoughts that this will pass soon...to my Sig forum friends...think before you post...you all know what we have here so act accordingly...it’s a blessing and rare Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
    Making the best of what ever comes our way
    Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
    Plowing straight ahead come what may
    And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
    Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks Para. Your a good man. You've provided a good place to share ideas, energy and humor at a time in America when its sorely needed.

I don't post much as it seems most of what needs to be said has been or don't need to see my incomplete opinions that badly.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post