SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SOG Multi-tool disappointment... **UPDATE IN OP-SOG is dead to me**..Are they all like this or did I just get a dud? (Spoiler they ARE all like this!)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SOG Multi-tool disappointment... **UPDATE IN OP-SOG is dead to me**..Are they all like this or did I just get a dud? (Spoiler they ARE all like this!) Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Been looking for a decent multi-tool for EDC and finally decided on the SOG Power Assist. It had the tools I was looking for, in the right price range, and a nice (or so I thought from the pic on Amazon) Black Oxide finish.

Arrived a couple days ago, opened it this morning only to get black “stuff” all over my hands and had to spend 5 minutes wiping it down with dry paper towels until it was “clean” (ar at least not leaving smudges on my hand every time I touched it).

VERY disappointed with the finish in person (see pics below). I have one SOG folder and one SOG fixed blade. Finish quality on both of those are top notch. I get that it is a tool and will show wear over time, but damn shouldn’t it at least start life looking fresh?

Anyone else have one of the SOG black oxide multi-tools? Did yours look this rough coming out of the box?

I expect I will return it on principal, maybe get the non-BO version or maybe I should keep looking...

Front/back showing marks in finish:

Dry paper towels after wiping (three of the seven used):

Link to the Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Pow...3&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

***UPDATE 7/19/19***

Got email from the Amazon seller. They were apologetic and unabashedly placed the blame on Amazon for "sending it out in that condition". Not sure how it was Amazons fault, yes they fulfilled it b ut it came in sealed retail packaging and condition could not be determined until it was opened. I let them know I didn't think it was their (seller) or Amazon "fault" but QC issue from SOG.

So... I stopped by SOG HQ in sunny Lynnwood WA on my way home from work today. Surprised to see they actually have a retail showroom and DO sell product from that location (at full boat retail though...)

I explained the issue to the lady working the counter and she was kind enough to pull two or three other Black Oxide Multi-tools to compare. ALL of them had similar marks and uneven/inconsistent finish/coating. Though none made anywhere near the same amount of mess on my fingers. She didn't seem the least concerned by it and essentially said that's just the way it is with the Black Oxide coating.

Best I can guess, they just figure if they are putting the coating on, no point in doing a quality job since it is getting covered anyway.

I was floored at her casual and entirely unconcerned and unapologetic manner. When I asked, she did show me a stainless, uncoated one for comparison and I found it to be smooth, well polished and with no finish flaws. It looked like what I would expect for something new. No explanation of "why" the BO ones have the scuffs, no offer to swap for a Stainless, etc. No real attempt at customer service at all from why viewpoint.

Looks like I have bought my last SOG product. Return label printed and going back to Amazon. Will continue my search and look at Gerber and Leatherman offerings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
could it be a counterfeit Sog?

I've gotten stuff off amazon before that was fake.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
could it be a counterfeit Sog?

Very first thing I thought of. Though the seller does have a high rating. Seems legit.

I find it harder and harder nowadays to trust the things I buy off of Amazon.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It almost looks like it was cold-blued...in China.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
SOG has seriously declined in quality over the past ~10+ years.

Seems like it started around the time they went after the Wal-Mart contract, and started stocking the shelves there with low quality Chinese-made SOG-branded gear.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found SOG multi tools to be lacking. I was unhappy with one I got years ago, it did not have positive blade retention designed into it. It was chrome, so I don't know about finish issues.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Packaging was all top notch, looked to be factory sealed.

The quality of the tools itself seems legit, solid materials and function. The the only issue is with the finish. Looks like it might had been dropped and kicked across the floor before of after the finish process and then packed dirty.

Never had that kind of muck on anything. Not like a protective coating you would see on a magazine, it was uneven and in some places but not others. None of the marks were visible UNTIL it was wiped down. A cynical person might think the goo was there intentionally to hide them.

SOG corporate is just down the road from me, I guess I could stop by and see what they say. Don’t know if they are able to respond to folks dropping in though.

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Heh. Note the warning on their website at https://www.sogknives.com/type...pouch-clam-pack.html

"WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including carbon-black extracts"

Maybe that's their way of telling you "you'll get the black finish all over your hands". Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Checking their customer reviews, your problem appears to be, not uncommon.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Never been a fan of SOG
Leatherman is the leader in multi[tools

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having sold Leatherman as a sales rep, coatings on tools can be a problem.

Contact SOG and find out if there was a recall or, issue. Keep your packaging and send your photos.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It looks used to me.

Are you sure it wasn't some return that was sealed back up and re-sold as "new"?

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree on the decline in quality of SOG. I bought an SOG Folder a year or so back and the blade broke.... Length wise. Never saw that before! I have a couple of older SOGs that are fine. I thought about sending it back but just tossed it.
Leatherman all the way. They stand behind their stuff.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think you've been hosed

send it back and go to a local gun shop and see what they have on the shelf

try not to buy off Amazon -

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stop by their store in Lynnwood and tell them what you got.

Posts: 516 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: October 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunfan:
Stop by their store in Lynnwood and tell them what you got.

Did just that today, they were considerably less than even slightly interested. See update in OP...

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Sorry you are having an issue with this.

I have not purchased a SOG tool in quite some time, but the quality of mine are excellent.

I have a black Leatherman Wave that had a similar issue to your SOG, but not nearly to that degree. Today it is well worn and no longer an issue.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've got the same tool in my toolbox. Heck, I've beat it around and it's got plenty of marks and experience all over it.

I never considered it something that should be pretty.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I EDC a victorinox multi tool and I’ve owned and do own several brands. The victorinox is the best made and my favorite. Check them out!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Get a Leatherman. I have a Supertool 200 that has been on my duty belt since around 2000. It is still going strong, no broken parts, and has helped me out in a wide variety of situations.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post