SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Selfie pic mirror image, please explain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selfie pic mirror image, please explain Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Not much of a photographer.

Scratching my head because when we take pics with my wife's phone selfie or whatever lense is called, the text on the t shirts is reversed.

Logic? Explanation? WTF?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Because they designed the software to make it look “natural” like you’re looking in the mirror.

Depending on the phone, I think you can turn that off.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Not sure. Are you south of the equator? Which way does the water swirl when you open the drain?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Not sure. Are you south of the equator? Which way does the water swirl when you open the drain?

Clever.

Had you asked when I flush the toilet I would have answered "what is this toilet you speak of?" Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The front facing camera always has a reversed image. Only the camera on the back of the phone will take correct photographs. Ramius suggested there might be a way to turn off the feature but it's not available on iPhones and I don't know jack about Android-based phones.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't know why it is, but it confuses the hell out of me when I see thugs get shot, wave guns, shot their friends, or get arrested. I think I first learned of this during the Castile video. Either way it annoys the hell out of me. I'd think by this time they'd figure out a fix. I assume video editing/processing software could rectify the situation very easily.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's called "horizontal flip."

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My HTC M8 will show a mirrored image live, but gives the option to "Save Mirror Image" or not. I have the box unchecked so it always saves the picture "un-mirrored."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I've never taken a self portrait with my phone, so I have no idea.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
OMG, someone has slipped one of those Quaalude things into my beer... I'm so confused by this parallel universe.

Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
On my Pixel 2, live view acts like a mirror. This makes it more natural to compose images-- panning the face of the camera in the direction you want the image to move is intuitive.

Once the picture is captured, the image is flipped to appear like a regular image.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

You're evil.

I like you.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
How do you know you even exist?

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
On my Pixel 2, live view acts like a mirror. This makes it more natural to compose images-- panning the face of the camera in the direction you want the image to move is intuitive.

Once the picture is captured, the image is flipped to appear like a regular image.

I rarely take selfies; I do take lots of photos. I never noticed that effect as it IS intuitive as you say (just tried it) Also when the photo is actually shot, it is flipped therefore it reads correctly. Never knew that.

Learn something every day.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its a perspective thing, have you tried using two mirrors?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my S7 Edge the live view is like a mirror - there is a setting to control how the image is stored.

'Save Pictures as Previewed' under the Front camera settings. 'Preview' being the live image. If this is disabled then any photos using the front camera are saved appropriately. I notice a lot of people (or their phones) don't automatically flip the images and it looks like they're driving from the wrong side of the car or all the text is backwards.

What phone do you have?

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is for the reason Aetocles says - it makes it easier to pan the camera without having to mentally reverse panning directions if you are going by the image. (I'd call it an anti-dimwit feature, but that would be unkind.)

If the software doesn't let you flip it when the image is taken, any photo display program should have an image flip feature. My Android has a setting in the camera app to allow you to save it whichever way you prefer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
on a galaxy s8+, in your camera settings:

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

So does my iPhone X. But I had to try it just now as I never noticed it before. It does make perfect sense once you think about it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
How do you know you even exist?
Cogito ergo sum.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post