SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SigForum BBQers: What's Your Favorite Charcoal?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SigForum BBQers: What's Your Favorite Charcoal? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Last time I used Royal Oak Lump, I found a large piece of the corner of a roofing shingle and two large pieces of furring strips.

I had a bag of Cowboy that was 1/4 rocks and debris and I found pieces of 2x4 and plywood...

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The first (and last) time I bought Cowboy was about 5 years ago. As I poured some into the grill it looked like someone just swept up debris from a construction site, browned them with a torch, and tossed them in a bag. I swear I found a piece of what looked like formica attached to pressboard about 1" square. I tossed the bag and haven't bought it since. I usually just use blue bag Kingsford. I don't start cooking until all briquets turn ashy white though.

I looked up Stubbs on Lowes website and my local shows 56 bags in stock for $7.99 each. Gonna pick some up tomorrow to try.

ETA That "snake method" looks interesting. When I want to go slow on my Weber I just usually pile charcoal on the sides and put a pan of water in the middle. Keep the vents at about 1/8" or slightly larger open. How do you light the briquets to place on the end? On the ground and tong them in? Does this method create enough heat? Do you open the vents full or close them a bit? I might give this a try.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
BJs Warehouse has:
2x18# Bags Kingsford for $18.00
1x34# Bag Stubs for $17.00

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I use mesquite lump coal. HEB Central Market, which is a local grocery store, has their own brand and that is what I buy to use in my BGE.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Meijer has a Memorial Day sale 2x18# bags $9.95 of Kingsford blue bags so I bought 2 deals. I use Pit Boss hardwood pellets for smoke.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Here in Texas, H-E-B sells lump charcoal that is good quality at a fair price. I buy the live oak lump as it burns well and adds a nice flavor to what I'm cooking. EDIT:Went to HEB tonight and they sell 2 brands of oak lump - (1) is their own Central Market in 6.6 lb bags and (2) is B&B brand in 10 lb bags. I've used both and like both, but buy B&B because I prefer 10 lb bags.

When I lived in Alaska and Canada, I had good luck with BGE's brand, Dragon Breath (I love this stuff), and nearly every brand that The Naked Whiz recommends.

The exceptions to the above are that I've horrible luck with Cowboy and Royal Oak. My last bag of Cowboy was so bad that I was getting 50 degree temperature fluctuations using a BBQ Guru to control heat and those normally control within 5 degrees. I've had 1 bag in my garage since moving in and I'm willing to drive to H-E-B just to buy a bag of good charcoal even if it means eating 30 minutes later. One of these days, I'll dump it in a camp fire.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^^
And just to clarify, there are a couple of different reviews for Cowboy from Nakedwhiz. They had this to say about the last review:
quote:
Cowboy has changed the charcoal that is sold in this packaging. It is no longer the scraps from milling operations such as molding and flooring. Rather it is the more conventional lump made from tree limbs, etc. We are doing a review of the new lump which comes in this bag. However, according to the Cowboy Charcoal website, they now sell the traditional milling scrap as "Cowboy Gold". We have yet to get our hands on some to review, but we are looking.....

After trying a bag recently, I found it't not bad for the price and have not found any surprises through 3 bags. And while using using w/ extreme prejudice.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
That “snake method" looks interesting. When I want to go slow on my Weber I just usually pile charcoal on the sides and put a pan of water in the middle. Keep the vents at about 1/8" or slightly larger open. How do you light the briquets to place on the end? On the ground and tong them in? Does this method create enough heat? Do you open the vents full or close them a bit? I might give this a try.

I light about 8 briquettes in my charcoal chimney and dump them at the end of the snake. It’s all about dialing in the airflow with the vents; I usually leave top wide open and adjust bottom ones to get to 250, and it will stay there for 8-12 hours which is great. No adding charcoal and minimal taking the lid off. I usually place a turkey foil roasting pan in the bottom rack next to the snake, full of water which helps with the cook and catches the drippings so the Weber doesn’t get too gunked up.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I think Humphries makes Green Egg charcoal. It's made very close to here,

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
......ETA That "snake method" looks interesting. When I want to go slow on my Weber I just usually pile charcoal on the sides and put a pan of water in the middle. Keep the vents at about 1/8" or slightly larger open. How do you light the briquets to place on the end? On the ground and tong them in? Does this method create enough heat? Do you open the vents full or close them a bit? I might give this a try.

My snake. 2x2 or 3x2 depending on outside temp, or what heat I want to produce. Notice the briqs are stacked like tipped over dominoes to ensure even, consistent temperature and lighting; this burns at an even pace like a slow fuse. I can get 4-8 hours, depending on all the variables.

Wood chunks just far enough apart to keep them from igniting each other by flame jumping.

Foil covered steel plate in the middle of the charcoal grate helps a lot in my opinion. It forces the airflow to go thru the charcoal snake for a clean burn and good drafting, instead of the fire wheezing to get oxygen where it needs it. You can also set a drip pan on top of the plate.

Using a charcoal chimney starter, I use 12-18 lit coals at the beginning depending on desired temp, outside temp, and size of meat load. Top vents ALWAYS wide open, bottom vent varies from cracked to 1/2 open depending on desired temp.

Make sure when you're using this method to only use "100% hardwood charcoal briquettes". Kingsford and other cheap briquettes have binders and fillers that emit off odors and flavors as they ignite. Although this isn't a problem for quick grilling when the charcoal gets ashy before adding food (this burns off the ickies), on a slow burn like a snake or minion, you're constantly introducing this flavor onto your food.

Also, although I prefer lump, and use it a lot for grilling, and in the charcoal basket of my drum & cabinet smokers, you can imagine why it doesn't work well in the snake method; inconsistent shapes and sizes are just too unpredictable for an even burn and temperature control.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family is a tried and true fan of Kingsford. But we also have tons of pecan and mesquite branches that get pruned regularly to add flavor. So it always ends up with charcoal, layered with wood over the top for that smoky flavor.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I use Royal Oak from Walmart or Home Depot, but only if it has the Made in USA flag on it. Apparently there are some from Brazil and other places that won’t have the flag.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Royal Oak lump

It's nothing at all like the Kingsford and similar briquet crap I had used for decades. I wouldn't use it to start a leaf fire now.....
Please clarify - which one don't you like?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
agree the Cowboy lump is a pitiful shadow of once near-great product....I could have built a porch & railing with my last bagful.

Lazarri is nice except I have to adapt to the heat cycle being considerably different from my usual.

I've jettisoned Kingsford regular after all these decades of use, as simply inadequate for the temps & duration I want these days.

Lump Royal Oak seems to treat me well, especially the 'mesquite'stuff.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Here in Texas, H-E-B sells lump charcoal that is good quality at a fair price. I buy the live oak lump as it burns well and adds a nice flavor to what I'm cooking. EDIT:Went to HEB tonight and they sell 2 brands of oak lump - (1) is their own Central Market in 6.6 lb bags and (2) is B&B brand in 10 lb bags. I've used both and like both, but buy B&B because I prefer 10 lb bags.

The HEB I shop at sells the Central Market oak and mesquite lump in 12lb bags.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
you wouldn't use them if you knew what they were made from Wink motor oil, roofing shingles, just about anything to help them burn.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
quote:
......ETA That "snake method" looks interesting. When I want to go slow on my Weber I just usually pile charcoal on the sides and put a pan of water in the middle. Keep the vents at about 1/8" or slightly larger open. How do you light the briquets to place on the end? On the ground and tong them in? Does this method create enough heat? Do you open the vents full or close them a bit? I might give this a try.

My snake. 2x2 or 3x2 depending on outside temp, or what heat I want to produce. Notice the briqs are stacked like tipped over dominoes to ensure even, consistent temperature and lighting; this burns at an even pace like a slow fuse. I can get 4-8 hours, depending on all the variables.

Wood chunks just far enough apart to keep them from igniting each other by flame jumping.

Foil covered steel plate in the middle of the charcoal grate helps a lot in my opinion. It forces the airflow to go thru the charcoal snake for a clean burn and good drafting, instead of the fire wheezing to get oxygen where it needs it. You can also set a drip pan on top of the plate.

Using a charcoal chimney starter, I use 12-18 lit coals at the beginning depending on desired temp, outside temp, and size of meat load. Top vents ALWAYS wide open, bottom vent varies from cracked to 1/2 open depending on desired temp.

Make sure when you're using this method to only use "100% hardwood charcoal briquettes". Kingsford and other cheap briquettes have binders and fillers that emit off odors and flavors as they ignite. Although this isn't a problem for quick grilling when the charcoal gets ashy before adding food (this burns off the ickies), on a slow burn like a snake or minion, you're constantly introducing this flavor onto your food.

Also, although I prefer lump, and use it a lot for grilling, and in the charcoal basket of my drum & cabinet smokers, you can imagine why it doesn't work well in the snake method; inconsistent shapes and sizes are just too unpredictable for an even burn and temperature control.

Good Lord, man, you’re like an artist! I’m not worthy Cool

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
LUMP:

Wicked Good lump is awesome. Hot, clean, low ash, and very litte fines. Available thru Ace Hardware, and better BBQ suppliers.

Grove brand lump is almost as good as Wicked Good, and less expensive. Downsides are more variety in sizing, making packing a charcoal basket for a Minion Method more challenging, and it's possibly more difficult to find outside of the Midwest.

Cowboy lump HAD been the butt of many jokes over the years, for foreign material in the bags, TONS of crushed fines in the bags, and off flavors as well as lots of sparks and pops during lighting. That said, they've REALLY upped their game in the last couple years, and I don't hesitate to use it anymore.

B&B lump is another widely available, consistently decent product.

BRIQUETTES:

Stubbs was great, but 1) Walmart stopped carrying it, 2) it's gotten a little more ashy and stinky over the years.

Kingsford Blue Bag uses fillers and binders, and has an off smell unless it's totally ashed over. I'll use it for quick grilling or for a base in my stickburner, but not for reverse sears, Minion or Snake Method smoking. Their better K-Comp is great, but expensive.

Weber 100% Natural Briquettes are also great, but expensive.

Trader Joe's had/has a pretty decent 100% hardwood briq.

Royal Oak has a 100% hardwood briquette now that's cheap and readily available. No off flavors, and a good consistent burn. I use it fairly often.

My favorite briquette is Royal Oak Chef's Select 100% Hardwood Briquettes. $23 for a HUGE 40# bag thru Do-It-Best hardware stores; free ship to store.

great write up!!

I've used Cowboy a few times,

once I poured some into my Chimney and it was a bunch of what looked like construction waste,
as in door and baseboard molding, painter grade, (meaning jointed)

burned well, but I did switch back to Kingsford for a bit afterwards

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
I think Humphries makes Green Egg charcoal. It's made very close to here,

Consensus on the BGE site is that their lump is Royal Oak rebranded.
Humphries is very good. My current favorite is Rockwood which can be had at Ace.
Have had some made from Canadian Hard Maple which was also very good.

Kingsford has an unpleasant odor/taste to me after trying those above. Same for Cowboy.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
That “snake method" looks interesting. When I want to go slow on my Weber I just usually pile charcoal on the sides and put a pan of water in the middle. Keep the vents at about 1/8" or slightly larger open. How do you light the briquets to place on the end? On the ground and tong them in? Does this method create enough heat? Do you open the vents full or close them a bit? I might give this a try.

I light about 8 briquettes in my charcoal chimney and dump them at the end of the snake. It’s all about dialing in the airflow with the vents; I usually leave top wide open and adjust bottom ones to get to 250, and it will stay there for 8-12 hours which is great. No adding charcoal and minimal taking the lid off. I usually place a turkey foil roasting pan in the bottom rack next to the snake, full of water which helps with the cook and catches the drippings so the Weber doesn’t get too gunked up.

I've used the snake method a number of times with great success. I smoked a salmon this way and was able to keep the temp in the 180 degree range for about 4 hours. Works great.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post