SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can You Guess the Biggest Gunmaker in the U.S.?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can You Guess the Biggest Gunmaker in the U.S.? Login/Join 
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
That would have been my guess, Ruger usually tops that list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
If the lists includes government/military sales, I'll bet that list would change...

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
I think using NICs to determine who the "biggest gunmaker in the U.S." is is a flawed way to do it as it only measures civilian sales.

*sigh*

I give up.

That's funny!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
I think using NICs to determine who the "biggest gunmaker in the U.S." is is a flawed way to do it as it only measures civilian sales.

*sigh*

I give up.

It isn't you, since you are actually are "fighting the good fight" and are absolutely correct IF one 'deduces' what they used for data.
It is just that this is a poorly written piece.

Writing 101 simplified (also good for speech making)
One should clearly:
1) Tell them what your gonna tell them
2) Tell them
3) Tell them what you told them

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked Colt isn't on there towards the top. Henry is #7? Maverick #5?

(Jesters summation -thanks)
1. Ruger
2. S&W
3. Remington
4. Sig
5. Maverick
6. Savage
7. Henry
8. WM Anderson(?)
9. Glock

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
I'm shocked Colt isn't on there towards the top.

In 2015, Colt reported producing 65,417 pistols, 1,492 revolvers, 79,565 rifles, and 0 shotguns. That's only 146,204 total firearms.

Glock made nearly 2x as many pistols as all the guns Colt produced that year. Anderson made 2x as many AR receivers as all the guns Colt made. S&W made 10x as many guns as Colt. Ruger made 11x as many guns as Colt.

Even though the ATF's data doesn't include military sales, that inclusion wouldn't have helped Colt. Colt hasn't had a contract with the military since 2012.

Colt also went bankrupt in 2015.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
I'm shocked Colt isn't on there towards the top.

In 2015, Colt reported producing 65,417 pistols, 1,492 revolvers, 79,565 rifles, and 0 shotguns. That's only 146,204 total firearms.

Glock made nearly 2x as many pistols as all the guns Colt produced that year. Anderson made 2x as many AR receivers as all the guns Colt made. S&W made 10x as many guns as Colt. Ruger made 11x as many guns as Colt.

Even though the ATF's data doesn't include military sales, that inclusion wouldn't have helped Colt. Colt hasn't had a contract with the military since 2012.

Colt also went bankrupt in 2015.

Actually, after Remington lost the M4 contract, FN and Colt both got contracts or part of the same contract in 2015. they also received a contract to make M240s in 2009, and then in 2012 they shared the M240L contract with FN.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that FN got the entire M4 contract after Remington lost it in 2013ish. But you're right. It does look like FN and Colt got a joint M4 contract in late 2015. (Perhaps a separate one?)

However, we don't know how many rifles under that contract were actually produced by Colt in 2015.

And it doesn't matter for these purposes anyway, as the ATF's data doesn't track military sales. Only LE and commercial production.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was under the impression that FN got the entire M4 contract after Remington lost it in 2013ish. But you're right. It does look like FN and Colt got a joint M4 contract in late 2015. (Perhaps a separate one?)

However, we don't know how many rifles under that contract were actually produced by Colt in 2015.

And it doesn't matter for these purposes anyway, as the ATF's data doesn't track military sales. Only LE and commercial production.

Yup, because DOD doesn't do a NICS check.Razz
I kid, I kid.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would've never guessed Ruger would be #1, but in the past 5 years they've really expanded in pocket carry guns, 1911's and other stuff they didn't venture into before.

S+W was my guess.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post