SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here have experience with an all in one washer/dryer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here have experience with an all in one washer/dryer? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Didn't even know that home freeze dryers were a thing....

They weren't until a couple of years ago. Mrs DF describes herself as a garden slave come harvest time. She loves gardening and the produce, but preserving it is where the work is and it's all at once. Not only that, but canned preserves have a risk if something goes wrong undetected. Also, all of those jars weigh a ton and take up a lot of space. It's even worse if you decide to move and have to pack and carry all of it. Ugh!

Enter the freeze dryer. When we were young were into back packing and camping. We used to buy freeze dried food packages to eat while we were out. Super light. Very convenient and tasty. Huge expense. Skip ahead decades and a local company has created a home freeze dryer. Now Mrs DF can preserve meals and produce without being a slave to the process. The food is light, easy to reconstitute and can be put away for decades. Is it worth the financial cost? In the long run, yes. But most of all, I get a happy wife freed from garden slavery.....and that is priceless.

Plus I get to buy some new guns without a word of grumbling from SWMBO. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We had stackables in our beach condo, never had a problem with them and it was rented out constantly, they of course were not the top of the line digital bells and whistles models, just a good basic set, one of the few things we never had
to deal with in 10 years of owning it

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three hours to partially dry a load???? Here's a link to an evaluation:
https://www.consumerreports.or...if-you-give-it-time/
I wonder how complex these would be to repair. Seems like a lot of stuff in a small package and how familiar would the repair person be with them since there are so few out there.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Three hours to partially dry a load???? Here's a link to an evaluation:
https://www.consumerreports.or...if-you-give-it-time/
I wonder how complex these would be to repair. Seems like a lot of stuff in a small package and how familiar would the repair person be with them since there are so few out there.

Yeah, and when the washer craps out you get to buy a new dryer too.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What kind are you referring to?

The one where it's literally ONE cabinet that looks like a front loader, but also dries? They have been common in Europe for years as everyone lives in tiny houses and apartments there. I've heard they take a long time to dry clothes.

Or

The "stacked" all-in-one unit where it's a small dryer on top of a small washer? Those are what you see in condos and apartments here a lot.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
What kind are you referring to?

The one where it's literally ONE cabinet that looks like a front loader, but also dries? They have been common in Europe for years as everyone lives in tiny houses and apartments there. I've heard they take a long time to dry clothes.

Or

The "stacked" all-in-one unit where it's a small dryer on top of a small washer? Those are what you see in condos and apartments here a lot.

She was interested in the single unit that washes and dries. I talked her out of it with a little help from my invisible SF friends. All good points made.

It looks like we'll be doing this:

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post