SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here have experience with an all in one washer/dryer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here have experience with an all in one washer/dryer? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
Mrs DF is enchanted by the idea of one. I'm not so sure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: darthfuster,

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I haven't kept up with them lately. But when I was appliance shopping about 15 years ago, I looked into them. The prevailing opinion back then was that unless you absolutely had to have one due to very limited space (RV, tiny cabin, miniscule studio apartment, etc.), you didn't want one. They were much less capable than standalone units.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I'd hang my jeans on a line outside. Three days of drenching downpour then two more in the sun and breezes got them cleaner than you can imagine.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of one until a customer of mine asked me about them. I admitted I had no knowledge, but would be glad to install it. I think they are aiming for Spring, when I open their Lakehouse for summer use.

Very curious as to how they work!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had em on a coast guard boat, they sucked. Clothes wouldn't dry, came out damp, didn't clean very well etc

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
Had em on a coast guard boat, they sucked. Clothes wouldn't dry, came out damp, didn't clean very well etc

That's what I read on the reviews. I think I'm shying away from these...

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They are fine for 1 person.
My mother had one when she was living alone and it washed and dried just fine but her loads were never large.

She would have to take her bedding to the laundry mat.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Used one in a rental house. Loads have to be small to dry and it will take hours. You can wash a large load but will need to split it to dry if it ever gets dry. We had to start a small load at night and it might be dry by morning. That turned me off ever buying one.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had one in an apartment. The washer was passable, but the dryer didn't work for crap. The only advantage of these is that they are small and will fit into tight spaces.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I used one at apt. Rental. Small loads.
My son told me it took him a long time to find the lint trap in the dryer. After finding it, it dried better.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We have a fairly new vented Splendide washer/dryer combo in our motorhome.

It is better than not having one but not much. Its perfect for what we are using it for but I wouldn't want one in my home. It only takes small loads and it takes a very long time to dry anything.

A part of jeans can take 90 minutes to dry.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Our son has one in the apartment he’s renting. Sounds like a really bad deal. Others have mentioned the time it takes to wash and dry your clothes, our son says the same thing.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You'll be ahead to buy a regular size top load washer and a piece of rope for a clothesline.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
When my parents could not handle going to the basement to do laundry, we got them the stacked washer and dryer. We installed it in an upstairs bedroom and ran the lines through the floor duct so we did not have to drill any holes in the wooden floor.

I researched Consumer Reports and bought them the recommended Kenmore unit. It worked great for them and Mom really liked it.

However like others have said, you can't beat separate units with greater capacity.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
When my parents could not handle going to the basement to do laundry, we got them the stacked washer and dryer. We installed it in an upstairs bedroom and ran the lines through the floor duct so we did not have to drill any holes in the wooden floor.

I researched Consumer Reports and bought them the recommended Kenmore unit. It worked great for them and Mom really liked it.

However like others have said, you can't beat separate units with greater capacity.

A stacked unit is a good alternative. We have one at home.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We had one in a rental apartment in Dublin on a trip. Washed fine but the dryer sucked. Just ended up with hot damp clothes

Posts: 23402 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We had a German one, Miele I think, in our apartment in Siberia in the 90's. It worked, but had very small capacity and took a very long time. By definition you can't wash one load while drying another.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We looked at some stackable units tonight. I liked what LG had to offer. This whole thing started with Mrs DF deciding she wanted a freeze dryer. Right? Seems benign enough. But when I brought it home I could see I would have to make some alterations in the laundry room to make it all feng shui with the walk in pantry. Plus it turns out the freeze dryer needs a dedicated 20a plug. No bigs. Totes within my ability and will to do.

However, once I broke the seal of remodel at that level, now the door gets kicked wide open by, "Honey Chicken (she calls me that when she wants something), why don't you tile the floor while you're at it?" D'oh! Red flags and sirens... This is not to mention the new stainless commercial grade utility table I had to buy for the freeze dryer to sit on. Oh, and the stainless utility sink.... "We can make it all work with new a washer/dryer"

Oh man, did I ever walk into this one. It's like when she wanted chickens. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I have a GE stack washer / dryer in my townhouse. 10 years old and doing fine. I live alone so just a couple loads a week. Might not be adequate for heavy use, though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Didn't even know that home freeze dryers were a thing....

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post