SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gander Outdoors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gander Outdoors Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
Just opened their store in southeast Michigan. Same place as the old Mountain store. Great selection of guns and ammo but still pricey.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Another failure waiting to happen. Roll Eyes Big box gun stores are universally terrible. The only one with even remotely competitive pricing is Academy sports. Retail, especially department stores are dying a slow death nationwide. National chains like Macy’s, Sears, JCP, Best Buy, etc...plan on closing thousands of combined stores in the coming years. Why Gander things they can pull it off with shit prices is beyond me. When they go under again I hope the take Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas with them.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
When they go under again I hope the take Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas with them.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but...

More stores selling guns is always a good thing. It gets more guns into the hands of the people.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another failure waiting to happen. Roll Eyes Big box gun stores are universally terrible. The only one with even remotely competitive pricing is Academy sports. Retail, especially department stores are dying a slow death nationwide. National chains like Macy’s, Sears, JCP, Best Buy, etc...plan on closing thousands of combined stores in the coming years. Why Gander things they can pull it off with shit prices is beyond me. When they go under again I hope the take Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas with them.

Honestly this is an ignorant statement.
It is a retail store that also sells some guns.
If you think that the reason Gander Mountain went out of business because of high prices on gun then you know nothing about business.
Retail brick and mortar stores all have inherent problems.
They need to make a profit to survive.
At least with Marcus Lemonis they have a chance.
If there are no profit in firearms he won't keep selling them.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss them. The man behind the money in this venture ( Lemonis) has a nose for profit and a very savvy businessman.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The Cabela's out here has a fabulous gun selection and sometimes good pricing. I bought a used but unfired P220 there for a pretty good price and got another $25 off for getting the Cabela's credit card. They were blowing our Anderson stripped lowers for $39 long before anyone else was. I don't know where they make their money to carry their loss leaders, but I'll stop by anytime I'm in the neighborhood and see what they have.

Posts: 3520 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
They need to make a profit to survive.

Some people won't be happy until the only two options for any product or service offered is Walmart or Amazon.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had one just open. I priced a pistol there and then from my friendly local FFL, only saving 25 bucks through my dealer. Their prices are really not that far out of line. But then again, we only have a couple of brick and mortar gun stores up here. I would still pay a bit more to get something through my dealer anyways....

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well if what the OP says is true and it’s “pricey” then it’s rhe same shit different side of the plate of the old Gander. It wasn’t just gun prices that were high...Gander was expensive no matter what products they sold. So obviously this new guy hasn’t learned any lessons if he is still charging high prices...especially with a grand opening. Lure them in with high prices doesn’t seem like a savy business decisions. These type of stores are in the business of selling one gun to a customer. The wait for the newb shooter that doesn’t know any better and sell him a $400 for $600. There’s a reason why well informed gun shoppers don’t go there. I know plenty of retail gun shops that make a shit ton of money selling high quantity at low prices. It can be done.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
The Cabela's out here has a fabulous gun selection and sometimes good pricing. I bought a used but unfired P220 there for a pretty good price and got another $25 off for getting the Cabela's credit card. They were blowing our Anderson stripped lowers for $39 long before anyone else was. I don't know where they make their money to carry their loss leaders, but I'll stop by anytime I'm in the neighborhood and see what they have.

I have been in Cabelas multiple times when their used library guns are priced higher then the same gun brand new out on the floor.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glad to see more firearm retailers.

Sure I don't buy their insanely priced guns, but other people do.

Besides, Cabelas is great for looking at tons of optics in one place.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Gander was bought by camping world. The owner/president of camping world doesn't want any business from anyone that voted for trump.

Boycott!!!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Boycotts are for pussy easily offended liberals. I boycott them for shitty prices not for their political leanings. I don’t give a shit what my grocer or dry cleaner thinks about trump either. I’m there for a service not an ideology. If this really offends you just know that then you shouldn’t be shopping in 90% of corporate stores out there since most CEO’s and upper management are liberal douches.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Gander was bought by camping world. The owner/president of camping world doesn't want any business from anyone that voted for trump.

Boycott!!!

That ^^^ is a Fake News ^^^ story.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Boycott!!!

Watch this, or skip to the 1:30 time mark. . Marcus Lemonis: Don't shop here

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Wheeler fat wrench from there. Price was $59.99. Found it at Cabelas for $44.99, Gander outdoors price matched it. They called the closest store ( three hours away) to make sure it was a stocked item. Give or take, from what I have found, they are close to Internet prices when you include shipping. The nearest decent size city is Greenbay Wi, so we really don't have much to choose from around here...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Why Gander things they can pull it off with shit prices is beyond me. When they go under again I hope the take Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas with them.

Then where will people go to fondle the guns they want to buy cheaper online?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Boycott!!!

It is not fake news.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Just opened their store in southeast Michigan. Same place as the old Mountain store. Great selection of guns and ammo but still pricey.

Where? When I looked at their website back in December they had no locations planned. Novi or the one down off Ecourse was it?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only bought from the Yooper Gander Mountain if something was on sale. And their website had a lot of used Sigs for reasonable prices. So I got their credit card to order guns online. Gave out bonus points for each purchase, which I used to good effect. Until they went tits up. I tried to redeem my points at the new Gander Outdoors. Nope! Different company. I looked over their prices on the in store guns and they seem in line with the old store prices. I don't think I will get a credit card from the new company. As hwyhauler said, its off to Green Bay if I want to look elsewhere. And I have been dealing with a LGS in Munising that has been a really great experience. So I will support them and only wander in Gander Outdoors when I am bored.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post