SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will the real Ed Brown please stand up? Apologies for the big pics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will the real Ed Brown please stand up? Apologies for the big pics Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Yesterday I had an inadvertent brush with greatness. An older, important-looking, guy comes over and asks for something. I help him out by getting him in touch with the folks who can provide what he needs. I ask for his name and he says "Ed Brown".

Now, even among gun owners, not everyone would recognize that name. Me though....I have long admired Ed Brown's custom 1911 pistols. So I sorta laugh and say "THE Ed Brown?" He laughs and replies "1911 forever".

At this point I think my brain goes into a death spiral of "Could it be him? Well, maybe a gunsmith would have close ties with the National Guard. But surely he'd be too busy with a company and not go to conferences" etc etc.

So after a lot of "No way! Yes, way! You're pulling my leg! No, I'm really Ed Brown!" I finally give in to the fantasy that I am indeed shaking hands with THE Ed Brown. He even offers to have a picture taken with me.....

After many "thank you"s and "it's an honor", he says he'll see me tomorrow.

I go home, tell a friend of mine I either met an artist or made a colossal fool of myself. I'm still not 100% convinced it's THE Ed Brown. I can't find pics on the internet and I'm telling myself the video on the Ed Brown Products website is old, etc. etc.

Well, this morning I get my answer. I look him up on the attendee roster (I was registering people in) and he's from Alabama, not Missouri. When he shows up we're both laughing immediately. I'm like "Good morning sir, you got me good!". He says "SFC Cowan, I'm glad to see you. I have something for you!" I reply "Well thank you sir, very much. But it's not a pistol is it?"

Nope, no pistol, but I did get a pretty snazzy coin (and that's from a guy who's really not into the whole coin thing).

I DID meet THE Ed Brown. Just THE Chief Master Sergeant of the Air National Guard Ed Brown. And I have to say....he seems like a great guy. He said he does get that now and then, people thinking he's the other Ed Brown. He apologized for pulling my leg, but I assured him if I had been in his shoes, I'd have done the same thing. LOL Well, maybe not, he is THE Chief Master Sergeant of the ANG after all.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Could have been Moonbeam!

Not so bad.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the story. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Excellent story!!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a funny story, meeting the master chief of the ANG and getting his coin is cooler IMHO.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
very cool story.
Put a smile on my face.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Well, the real Ed Brown did stand up. Cool

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown is a lot younger looking than you and your new name ought to be "Cotton Top".

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post