SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Another shining example of liberalism as a mental disorder. Roll Eyes

https://pjmedia.com/trending/u...mental-health-issue/

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

BY TONI AIRAKSINEN APRIL 27, 2018

The Counseling and Mental Health Center at the University of Texas at Austin recently launched a new program to help male students “take control over their gender identity and develop a healthy sense of masculinity.”

Treating masculinity as if it were a mental health crisis, “MasculinUT” is organized by the school’s counseling staff and most recently organized a poster series encouraging students to develop a “healthy model of masculinity.”

The program is predicated on a critique of so-called “restrictive masculinity.” Men, the program argues, suffer when they are told to “act like a man” or when they are encouraged to fulfill traditional gender roles, such as being “successful” or “the breadwinner.”

Though you might enjoy “taking care of people” or being “active,” MasculinUT warns that many of these attributes are actually dangerous, claiming that “traditional ideas of masculinity place men into rigid (or restrictive) boxes [which]... prevent them from developing their emotional maturity.”

“If you are a male student at UT reading this right now, we hope that learning about this helps you not to feel guilty about having participated in these definitions of masculinity, and instead feel empowered to break the cycle!” the program offers.

The program is currently without leadership, but not for long. The school is in the process of hiring a “healthy masculinities coordinator” to run the program, and a school official tells PJ Media that some hopeful hirees are interviewing for the position later this week.

While many schools now have similar programs, this appears to be the first run directly out of a Counseling and Mental Health Center. Though the school seems to justify this by claiming that masculinity can cause men to lash out at other people and themselves, the school did not respond to a request for comment to clarify.

There is no evidence that masculinity itself contributes to violence. Universities that run similar programs, such as UNC-Chapel Hill and Northwestern, have admitted that their programming isn’t supported by any evidence.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
What the hell did I just read?

If "healthy masculinity" looks like pajama-boy-millennial-douchebag, they won't last long.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish you would tell me that you're shitting me, but I know you won't. The notion that this is happening in Texas of all places boggles the mind.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I hope every Texas father refuses to let his son attend UTA, and further that they go bankrupt.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Austin is liberalism central in TX, so it's not such a surprise.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any male that enrolls in this treatment program is in no danger of having excessive masculinity.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Wow, that’s fucked up, and sad.

Oh crap - is that my lack of emotional maturity rearing it’s ugly (male) head ?k

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Write this generation off, they're history. I can only imagine how the guys I went to college with would respond to such nonsense, and the pantywaist boys who participated in it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’m going to my cry closet now. I will be out when I make sense of this.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
My dad (UT-Austin class of 1958) must be rolling in his grave. How long do you think it will be before "Hook 'Em, Horns!" becomes a masculinity trigger phrase and won't be tolerated on campus?

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Austin, that figures, wish they would build a wall around it.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised. Nothing leftist and stupid being spawned or lionized in academia really surprises me any more.

Academia really seems like an increasingly shallow pool of thoughts, behaviors, goals, acceptable norms and world outlook. A pool that needs Chernobyl level bleach.

My Son’s are 15 & 13 years away form their H.S. Graduations and I am increasingly wary of exposing them to the dogshit of a 4 year college program. Trade schools looking more appealing each year.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
My dad (UT-Austin class of 1958) must be rolling in his grave. How long do you think it will be before "Hook 'Em, Horns!" becomes a masculinity trigger phrase and won't be tolerated on campus?

I’m ready to roll into mine! Good grief! UT ‘68.

Bevo is a steer, after all, I guess.

BTW, your dad did not graduate from UT Austin in 1958. Then, as in my day, we graduated from UT. It was in Austin.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:....There is no evidence that masculinity itself contributes to violence. Universities that run similar programs, such as UNC-Chapel Hill and Northwestern, have admitted that their programming isn’t supported by any evidence.

Dear class, there is no evidence to support the lie I will now teach you. (As per Goebbels, if you tell a lie big enough, and repeat it often enough, people will believe it.). At the college where I teach business, economics is not considered business, economics is social science (ie, social justice). Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Their football team has been doing it for years. Might as well spread it to the rest of campus Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Fuck them.

One day they'll need real men and have nothing.

Then they'll be fucked good.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
BTW, your dad did not graduate from UT Austin in 1958. Then, as in my day, we graduated from UT. It was in Austin.

You and I know that, JALLEN. But many reading this thread might not not be from Texas, or old enough to know the historical difference. The phrasing was for their benefit. My apologies.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
With all the slackers that have famously graduated from college - including, of course, UT - I have no idea why they think that the problem they're worried about actually exists.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is crap like this that makes me wish for a zombie apocalypse just so we can clear some pieces off the board. It doesn’t even have to be a particularly big apocalypse because we could just use a small outbreak as an excuse to trim the herd as a precautionary measure to ensure some people wouldn’t get bitten and turn.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
"The school is in the process of hiring a “healthy masculinities coordinator” to run the program,..."

Richard Simmons would be great for that job.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post