SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home thermostat placement??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home thermostat placement?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
How is it decided where a thermostat should go in a home??
Our upstairs thermostat is in our bedroom which seems like an odd place to me. I would think the hallway would be a better option.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Apparently, based on my observations, it's based on where the appearance will most enrage the lady of the house.

I think putting it in a room you'll be occupying a lot sounds like a good idea, but I am not a trained and licensed HVAC dude.

I base this opinion on the fact that our bedroom is stifling hot with the heat set at 63 out in the entry, where the thermostat is.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A thermostat should be centrally located within its zone, placed so its out of direct sun light and in a some what neutral area (not by a supply or return).

Not knowing the specifics of the previous homeowner's needs, they may have had the thermostat placed in the master bedroom for better control over their specific room.

If the system is designed correctly and the ducting is balanced, it really shouldn't matter.
However, if there's only one main return per floor, you'll have a greater fluctuation in room temps with it installed in one of the rooms. As open/closed doors will effect the temps greater with this set-up.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Florida I always see them close to the return (within 10'). But typically the returns are generally near the middle of the house.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The #1 cause of divorce is owning a house with a thermostat.

To combat this:
  • The decoy thermostat (i.e. it isn't hooked to any HVAC equipment) should be conveniently located for easy and frequent changes, and it should have easy controls so women and children can wildly change the temperature settings until their heart is content. This placebo affect will make them happy (or at least happyish).
  • The real thermostat should be a small thermocouple discretely placed centrally in the zone out of direct sunlight, and the "brains" in between the thermocouple and furnace should be hidden away where only the man of house knows (e.g. attic).

The most important rule about decoy thermostats is that you NEVER talk about decoy thermostats.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nosce te ipsum
    Picture of Woodman
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by arfmel:
    I base this opinion on the fact that our bedroom is stifling hot with the heat set at 63 out in the entry, where the thermostat is.

A recent HVAC job, the house had a basement 110k and attic 90k for the 1st and 2nd floors respectively. We went back with 60k / 40k ... Their 2nd floor would similarly bake but after we halved the size of the unit, installing a 2-stage to boot, it is now an even temperature.

The 'stat goes on an interior wall out of direct sunlight. Central location, sort of near a major return grill if one exists.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hey!
    Hold my beer!
    Picture of rkight3
    posted Hide Post
    I've always heard that the thermostat should be located above the return vent if possible. The thinking is that the return vent is sucking air twards it, the thermostat is reading the temp of that air that's being drawn to that wall.

Our thermostat is in dining room, no windows, and above return. Our house seems to stay pretty close to the thermostat, except for my daughter's room, which stays cooler in winter, hotter in summer. We guess that her vent line is to small.

Posts: 2395 | Location: Western Kentucky. | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Wherever it is placed just don't do what we did at work one year.

Keep it away from the coffee pot station. You'll be glad you did.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    The 2nd floor thermostat is located in our bedroom which includes a large office like area, walk in closet, and large master bath. The bedroom area where the thermostat is located is directly under the air return (every room upstairs has one) and in front of the window.
    The bedroom area is comfortable along with the office area, the bathroom and closet have to have the vents shut because it will be blazing in those areas yet they are located over the garage.
    The other bathroom up stairs along with the laundry room and one bedroom also have to have their vents shut off or substantially closed as they are blazing as well.
    The other 2 bedrooms are pretty frigid.

I was thinking of relocating the thermostat to the hallway hoping to even everything out a bit.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Black92LX:
    The 2nd floor thermostat is located in our bedroom which includes a large office like area, walk in closet, and large master bath. The bedroom area where the thermostat is located is directly under the air return (every room upstairs has one) and in front of the window.
    The bedroom area is comfortable along with the office area, the bathroom and closet have to have the vents shut because it will be blazing in those areas yet they are located over the garage.
    The other bathroom up stairs along with the laundry room and one bedroom also have to have their vents shut off or substantially closed as they are blazing as well.
    The other 2 bedrooms are pretty frigid.

I was thinking of relocating the thermostat to the hallway hoping to even everything out a bit.

It sounds like you have more of an airflow balance issue. Have an a/c pro look at your house. Adding another air register in the large bedroom would put more airflow there which is where it is needed and take some airflow away from the frigid bedrooms/bathrooms/closet and balance the floor better.

posted Hide Post
    Everything you posted, points to ducting issues.

quote:

Moving the stat isn't going to resolve anything.

Its now controlling your bedroom temp and everything else is a differential to it. Moving it to another location will control 'that' area and you'll still see the same differential between the rooms.

Raised Hands Surround Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Excam_Man:

quote:

Its now controlling your bedroom temp and everything else is a differential to it. Moving it to another location will control 'that' area and you'll still see the same differential between the rooms.

Thought that would likely be the case.
    But wanted to be sure before I decided to pay the man.

What sort of cost am I looking at to get this done??
    Everything is soft duct and very accessable in the attic?

————————————————

Picture of mark60
    posted Hide Post
    You might look into an Ecobee thermostat. You can add remote sensors and set them to average things out throughout the house. Not as good as zoned heating but it might do what you like.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

You'll need someone to come out and see what's there and figure out what needs to be corrected. Without knowing how screwed up the ducting may or may not be, it would be hard to give an accurate figure.

It could be as simple as balancing the system with dampers which are already installed. Then again, it could be so screwed up that it needs a complete re-duct.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Excam_Man:

quote:

Thought that would likely be the case.
    But wanted to be sure before I decided to pay the man.

I was quoted $400 to install another duct by the local Trane dealer in South Florida. If there's good access in the attic and if your in another city it's probably less. Also probably cheaper to go with a single guy a/c man. But you don't know what you're getting unless you get a few recommendations.

Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    jimmy, what did I tell you? You and Excam Man should stay away from each other.

Moderated Status, Seven Days, and I am NOT going to keep repeating myself to you.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Author,
    cowboy,
    friend to all
    posted Hide Post
    My friend had two thermostats. One where his wife could see and access it easily, she was constantly turning it up and down. It was not hooked up to anything but the wall.

The real thermostat was hidden, he would not show anyone where, but I think it was somewhere in the living room.

His wife was plum happy!

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post