SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daddy/Daughter Roadtrip 2017
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daddy/Daughter Roadtrip 2017 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Well last year's road trip was Utah, this year we're driving up to Denver and spending a few days with friends. Plan is driving up I-40 with a slight detour and staying overnight in Taos. Coming back we're staying in Mesa Verde with a tour in the morning.

The idea is to make it an easy drive rather than a day long marathon. Thinking of stops along the way in tacky tack tourist trap dives just for the nostalgia and hell of it. We do plan on stopping at the meteor crated outside of Winslow. Anyone else have ideas for along the way?

Thanks in advance.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How old is your daughter?

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Meteor crater is so worth it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Mesa Verde is awesome, any chance for Arches National park on your trip as well? That's one of my favs.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
How old is your daughter?

You must be new here Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Did you go to Dinosaur Natl Monument last year? On the Colo/Utah border, if I remember correctly.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Mesa Verde was one of the best park archeology tours I ever took. If they still take you up the ladder to climb thru one of the cliff houses, don't miss it. And they had a down-into-the valley floor dwellings as well.

Have fun for sure.

ever driven the "Royal Gorge" bridge or taken the shuttle ride down to canyon floor? Probably a good thing for that age.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Our daughter turned 12 this past April. Last year's roadtrip was great. We did the Olympic Park in Park City, the Easton Center for Archery in Salt Lake, a private tour of the Hoyt factory in Salt Lake, Dinosaur National Monument and Arches National Park.

This year's is going to be fun as well. I realize there's only a limited amount of time when my daughter thinks that boys are gross and fish aren't. Trying to make the most of it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Eat here in Taos and have fun.
http://www.michaelskitchen.com/

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Our daughter turned 12 this past April. Last year's roadtrip was great. We did the Olympic Park in Park City, the Easton Center for Archery in Salt Lake, a private tour of the Hoyt factory in Salt Lake, Dinosaur National Monument and Arches National Park.

This year's is going to be fun as well. I realize there's only a limited amount of time when my daughter thinks that boys are gross and fish aren't. Trying to make the most of it.

I'm really looking forward to taking similar trips with my daughter. Have fun and enjoy these moments.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been so I can't vouch for it but the Olympic training center is in Colorado Springs..

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

No advice for you, but good luck and have fun.

May you find success as you embark upon a worthy cause.

I still remember my family road trips. The silliest misadventures I had with my mom and dad turned out to be the most memorable, formative, and character-building. Like the awesome steakhouse that we didn't see coming, or falling in a river and my dad hauling me out, or my dad teaching me about cameras and fishing.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I have no advice for the trip to/from. I would highly recommend the aquarium in Denver. One of the best I have been to.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Offhand IIRC, Los Alamos isn't too far from Taos & Pike's Peak is on the way to Denver. Monument Valley isn't far from Mesa Verde.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We did meteor crater years ago, well worth the stop. Have a great time.

It's trending towards a road trip here in August with the 13 y/o. The main event is the WW-II museum in New Orleans. I think we may include Mammoth Cave and the Jack Daniels Distillery, which are somewhat on the way.

The Son wants to go, but as a kicker I plan to ask his best friend to join us. Yeah, a tad more work on our end, but doable.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Some of the Indian Trading Post curio shops have some excellent craft pieces to serve as memorabilia.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post