SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone see a chiropractor regularly?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone see a chiropractor regularly? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Went for the first time today.

Been having back and occasional neck/shoulder pain for years. Back pain has tapered off significantly since I moved and stopped training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but it's still there sometimes.

Saw an ad for a chiropractor and decided to go do an consultation. He did an adjustment as well. Immediate results are that my back doesn't feel as tight, I'm not slouching like I was and my neck feels more relaxed.

Anyone see one with good results?

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Pretty much weekly for three years now. I have flexibility that I haven't had in years, sleep better and wake up without pain.

That works for me.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
No.
I have a buldging disc at L4-L5 that the doc adjusted twice a week for two years. No help. What did help was calcium supplements and core muscle training.
Did have a doctor point out that my back was like a rubber band. Then asked "What happens when you stretch a rubber band too much?"
One reason I left was they started getting into The woo stuff, wanting to stick needles, sell herbs etc.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Chiropractors are great until they start talking about total "wellness".
That's code for upselling to them.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Everyone who sees chiropractors sees them regularly.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

That was my experience. Nothing seems to be the same after getting your back cracked.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Went for the first time today.

Been having back and occasional neck/shoulder pain for years. Back pain has tapered off significantly since I moved and stopped training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but it's still there sometimes.

Saw an ad for a chiropractor and decided to go do an consultation. He did an adjustment as well. Immediate results are that my back doesn't feel as tight, I'm not slouching like I was and my neck feels more relaxed.

Anyone see one with good results?

Yes.
About 25 years ago, over the course of around 15 visits using manual adjustments he corrected some lower back issues which have not re-occurred since then.

About 10 years ago, had lingering tightness in the neck area and saw one in this area.
He made a manual adjustment that sounded like a branch snapping but once again, after several additional visits the issue was resolved.

Now the wife and I go to a client of hers that uses a simulator (little electric jackhammer-like device) whenever we need a 'tune-up'.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I used to see one regularly. I found that physical therapists can do I st as well for cramped muscles.

When I do see one , I ask if they do manipulation. Some only do Mambo jumbo. I also say I can go only up to 3 visits.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think results vary and it all depends if you see one that actually does manipulations and adjustments. Years ago I saw one a few days a week for quite awhile and not knowing any better it would help but by the end of the day I was in the same condition I was before going in. They did heat and stimulation and also used some small device they said adjusted things in increments. If they are good and you can take it then see one that does it old school. Eventually years down the road I went to a guy everyone said was very good but he wouldn't touch me because of how bad it was but I credit him with getting me fixed up as he got me into a neurosurgeon that finally as a last resort did the surgery that took care of it. Good luck

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not necessarily. I am an upper cervical chiropractor and most my new patients I see 5 times in one year, and nothing after that. Some people I can fix in one or two adjustments, but some it takes more. I use the NUCCA chiropractic system.

An example, myself: 2 near fatal accidents, once hit by a car while standing near a stopped vehicle and once hit by a car while riding my bike. First one I spent 11 days in the hospital and 6 months recovering. Second one only a day in the hospital but had a concussion for 2 months.

Also broke my L1 vertebrae into 53 pieces during a mountain bike accident. Had spinal surgery and took a year to recover. However after all these injuries, plus many smaller ones, I was able to be a competitive long distance trail runner. Usually I was running 30-35 miles a week. I owe my recovery mostly to the NUCCA chiropractic system.

Typically I hold my upper cervical adjustment for 1.5 years, until another injury comes along. then I need 4-5 adjustments until the realignment begins to holds again.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:

Not necessarily. I am an upper cervical chiropractor and most my new patients I see 5 times in one year, and nothing after that. Some people I can fix in one or two adjustments, but some it takes more. I use the NUCCA chiropractic system.

An example, myself: 2 near fatal accidents, once hit by a car while standing near a stopped vehicle and once hit by a car while riding my bike. First one I spent 11 days in the hospital and 6 months recovering. Second one only a day in the hospital but had a concussion for 2 months.

Also broke my L1 vertebrae into 53 pieces during a mountain bike accident. Had spinal surgery and took a year to recover. However after all these injuries, plus many smaller ones, I was able to be a competitive long distance trail runner. Usually I was running 30-35 miles a week. I owe my recovery mostly to the NUCCA chiropractic system.

Typically I hold my upper cervical adjustment for 1.5 years, until another injury comes along. then I need 4-5 adjustments until the realignment begins to holds again.

I'm sure you are good at your job, and I'm glad it's worked for you, but I had NUCCA done by a prominent person in the field, and if I'm being honest, was horrible. It made my neck muscles so tight it was hard to turn my neck comfortably for a few years and my back now cracks like I'm an octogenarian when I stretch it. Another downside to NUCCA is all the regulations...don't turn your head to quickly, don't put your head back, don't do much for 24 hours after the alignment, basically live a restricted life just so your alignment holds. I'm glad it works for some people, but it's not all roses like people in the field suggest. From my experience, people are better off going to an osteopath and working on strength and conditioning along with any manipulation they may have.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I thought they were voodoo mumbo jumbo...until my disk in my neck was pushing on a nerve that made my left arm feel like it had been dipped in lava whenever I turned wrong..and I was sleeping in a chair and nothing helped....at all

I saw a surgeon and he said to go get a series of shots in my neck to reduce the disk protrusion (both Dr's were aware of the others)

and I went to the chiro...he didn't do anything the first visit and didn't charge me. He also has MD behind his name...and explained how and why he does what he does-he feels anyone can push pills, but he can make a difference.

I saw him for five visits and along with the magic goo they injected into my back I have been good for three years.

I recently went back for two visits as my arm is starting to act up and I found that after my retirement i have been using very poor posture when typing at the store I'm helping out at. Mea culpa...

I can sleep now most of the night and things are on the mend.

I'd suggest finding the right one for you.

Him not doing anything and explaining what and why he was going to do stuff is what sold me; plus his extensive MD training.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weekly for three year? Yeah, you're cured!

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Once a month, religiously. I don't know if I need it or not but she is sooooo sweet. Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not when you find a GOOD one.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

Not when you find a GOOD one.
Yeah, my chiropractor fixes me up when I hurt myself. He has never scheduled a follow up. When he is on vacation, which is more and more lately, I have tried others and it's always half-fixed and follow up in a week. They also beat the crap out of me and make me wish I just stayed hurt.

Posts: 45370 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Been going on a varying schedule for about the last 4 yrs. Had neck/back pain. About 1 1/2 year ago I got shots in my neck and so far so good. Still go to get my lower back worked on. Weekly for awhile then monthly. Found out about 6 months ago that bottom 3 vertabrae are compressed and have plenty of arthitis in them.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Only when I watch TV

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We found a great chiropractor that fixed me if I mess up my back working outside so such. He listens to what's going on and at times says to go see an MD for that issue instead of trying to treat it. That's one reason I like this guy.

At the same time, I've visited a couple other chiropractors in the past that didn't seem nearly as skilled and would not want regularly working on my back.

Posts: 2362 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post