SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just found out that my pup is diabetic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just found out that my pup is diabetic Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
...if you call and make an appointment for a time she's not going to be here it's an extra $25.00 so for $60.00 she will come right to the house...

My regular Vet, the good one I use now, charges $55 at his office, so your mobile Vet is a true bargain! If she's got the full-service setup, I'd get to know her.

The Vet I mentioned who suffered an aneurism was top-notch prior to his disability, but one time he missed a diagnosis just before leaving town for a long weekend, and the Vet we took our pet to was one of the incompetent ones. He killed our little kitty. It took a long time to trust the main guy again.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Another tbing to consider: Merck makes an insulin specifically for dogs and cats. Vetsulin U-40. Its less expensive than human stuff at about $50/ vial. Worth investigating with the Mobile vet.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
The Novalin N insulation I get at WalMart is only about $25 a vial. Check with your vet to see if they will approve. I have been using it for Jake for years.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
The Novalin N insulation I get at WalMart is only about $25 a vial. Check with your vet to see if they will approve. I have been using it for Jake for years.

That's what the vet recommend. She told me to go to Walmart and ask for Novalin N.

The Walmart pharmacist even told me the best way to give it to my pup, which was the same advise the vet gave me. I felt better knowing that the pharmacist knew how to administer it to my fur baby!

Today she has acted like her old self. She has been active and playful. Something she hasn't been for the last week, since she started to get"down" again. I'm happy the the girl at the post office told me about this vet!

I'm happy that my pup is responding well. I know that there may be some adjustments to be made, but so far everything is good.

She's eating well, something that she wasn't doing the last few days. She's playing around with her toys, she's running around and just being her silly pup self!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Novalin N was what we used, too. The Vet we were using at the time (one of the good ones) told us about a couple insulins that would work, saying we'd have to do more injections with the Novalin, but it was so much cheaper that we went with it. At the time, we didn't even need a prescription for it!

Regarding the girl at the Post Office, she deserves a box of Frango Mints, or at least a gift card for Starbucks. She may well have saved your pup's life!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Regarding the girl at the Post Office, she deserves a box of Frango Mints, or at least a gift card for Starbucks. She may well have saved your pup's life!

Oh, she's going to get a nice Christmas present! I'm even going to throw in something for her two cats.

I have been worried about my fur baby. I have told her (Post office chick) that my pup keeps getting sick, and has lost weight.

The post office girl love my pup. We go there every day as I only have a p.o. box for mail, she gives my pup a treat everyday, if by chance we don't make it there before they close, she puts a treat in my box for my pup.

You don't know how glad I am that the post office girl told me about that vet! Or how glad I am that this vet figured out what was going on with my pup!

So yeah, the post office chick will be getting a nice Christmas gift!

ARman

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Sorry your baby is going through this, but glad you got it sorted out!

When a pet comes in with excess water intake and/or excess urination along with weight loss, I tend to start thinking about things like diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid issues and sometimes adrenal issues. Sorry your regular vet missed it, but honestly even the best vets can have an off day, and it doesn't take much to miss it outright.

Do yourself a favor and get a glucose curve done in a couple weeks, which will see what the level of glucose is every hour (or two hours) throughout the day. It will really help point the vet to how to customize your pet's insulin dosing.

I like the vetsulin myself, but that is because it just tends to work better (in my experience) for dogs, since it's formulated better for their needs. Nothing wrong with what you're using now, however.

Last tidbit, when you get the next blood tests, ask them to look at the ALP levels. It's a nonspecific enzyme that can elevate due to several reasons, but I've had a few cases where the pet had diabetes AND hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's) at the same time. These pets almost never fully regulate their body sugar unless you control the adrenal disease as well, so it's wise to take a look when you can. She probably already did it as part of the initial panel, so if you have the results, go look at it. Under around 300ish, you're probably fine.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
so happy your dog got the care and diagnosis she needed. And that she has you taking care of her. She's in good hands

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slabsides45, I'll keep that in mind about the blood test, as a matter of fact to remember it I copied and pasted it to an email to myself.

I know that sometimes a second set of eyes and another option sometimes catches things that are overlooked.

That said, my pup had been to the regular vet 3 times since August for this. So, now I'm questioning if they did do a blood test at all.

Anyways, my fur baby has truly turned around! She is acting like her silly pup self and playing around. Though I was busy with yard work most of the day, every time I checked on her, she was playing with her toys. Or setting at the window watching me.

She hasn't been just laying around moping and/or sleeping. It's like I got a new puppy! Her eyes are bright, she's playing and active.

She doesn't mind taking the shot. Heck I have more troubles with it then she does! I'm needle phobic, but she don't care! LoL....

She's eating well, with the same enthusiasm that she had before she started to get "down". She's not drinking as much water. So I'm happy that she seems to be doing well.

Thanks for the well wishes, because I needed it. My fur baby means a lot to me.

ARman

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
We had to give injections to one of our cats for a couple of years so a dog should be easier.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post