SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Received a job offer that will require a move.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Received a job offer that will require a move. Login/Join 
posted
Wow, this has been a crazy couple of days.

To start I was laid off last August and while I wanted to get back into the engineering field was very selective in the jobs I was applying to and had done a few interviews in the last month but had yet to come across anything that seemed like a good fit or an enjoyable place to work. 2 weeks ago out of the blue I get a phone interview request for a company I vaguely remember applying to (mostly because it's a company I didn't think I'd have a chance at getting into) and yesterday I drive up (3 hours) for an in person interview that ends up lasting 1.5 hours and was great all the way around with the official offer today.

Great and highly rated company that from the interview alone brought up 2-3 possibilities for advancement in the next 1-2 years. Allows me to continue working and get my professional engineer license with pretty darn good pay, benefits, work culture etc. North West Arkansas is continually growing and it a great place to live plus I do have family there.

Down sides are having to move 3 hours away, putting the leather working business on the back burner, and trying to figure out what to do with my current house as I don't really want to sell or rent it.

It seems to good to be true and with all the thoughts in my head I might have slept an hour last night.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NW Arkansas is a pretty place to live and lots of opportunities.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new position.

Sometimes it takes quite a while for these things to work out. I'd probably look to either rent the house or turn in into a VRBO so you can keep it and have it pay for itself so to speak. If the job works out well after a period of time you can always sell or change up.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
A friend got an offer from a company in likely the same area, NW Arkansas year ago. He's a big outdoors person and has been very happy with the move. He was unsure at first but turned out to be very good for him.

Good luck.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Best wishes & congrats!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wait, you can't take that job until the house thread is completed!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it was the padfolio that you took to the job interview that sealed the deal.

Congratulations!

Any way you can make it work to keep the house and a small place by the new job? At least so you don't have to rush into anything?

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Wait, you can't take that job until the house thread is completed!

That is one of my biggest hang ups, I want to see this thing done so it will probably be my weekend project.

quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
I'm sure it was the padfolio that you took to the job interview that sealed the deal.

Congratulations!

Any way you can make it work to keep the house and a small place by the new job? At least so you don't have to rush into anything?

Luckily I had just made one and had the template Big Grin and yes I did make one for myself to take.

That is the plan right now, to grab an apartment for at least 6-12 months and go from there which will most likely end up with another house build if things work out.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, congratulations! It was the wallet karma paying off! Thanks again, I LOVE my new wallet!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Hold on there. Putting the leather business on the back burner? What about our needs???

No, seriously, congrats on the new job. They're lucky to have you.

Looking forward to seeing my FIL's new wallet.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Do it! God moves us when we are ready, but the move is not easy.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get an extra room and bring the tools with you. Smile

Congrats on the job!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Two comments:

1. I got my current job by applying for every job I was qualified for and many I wasn't. To this day, I have no idea what job I applied for.

2. I'm heading to NW Arkansas the week after memorial Day to do some mountain biking. Never been there, but everything I hear says it's absolutely fantastic!

Good luck!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say take it. NWA is the best part of our state, IMHO. I wish that I could live there.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
NW Arkansas is a very nice place to live. If you decide to move good luck to you. I'm gonna miss seeing your house posts but maybe in a year we can see a new one Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the exciting opportunity.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the job offer. Sometimes a move is exactly what you need! Good luck.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I have just one word of wisdom for you, Sureshot: trout.

Arkansas has trout. Technically that's 3 words, but they're really a descriptor, kinda, of the first word, which was just one word. Anyhow, trout.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post