SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eggs are good for you..........again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eggs are good for you..........again Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I'm really glad to hear this, I'd lost track. Big Grin What's the latest on salt and coffee ?

An egg a day keeps the doctor away, according to a new study out of China.

Researchers at Peking University Health Science Center found that the simple and cheap food, once thought to raise unhealthy cholesterol levels, dramatically protects the heart.

They discovered that daily egg consumption is linked to 26 percent reduced stroke risk and 18 percent reduced cardiovascular disease risk.

“The present study finds that there is an association between moderate level of egg consumption (up to 1 egg/day) and a lower cardiac event rate,” lead scientists Professor Liming Li and Canqing Yu write in the journal Heart.

The researchers examined the diets of 416,000 people between the ages of 30 and 79.
Subjects were asked how often they consumed eggs. Their health was then documented over a period of around nine years.

The 13 percent of participants who ate one egg a day were found to have more than a quarter less chance of suffering from a hemorrhagic stroke, which occurs when there’s bleeding in or around the brain.

They also had 28 percent less risk of death caused by a hemorrhagic stroke, and an 18 percent reduced chance of dying from cardiovascular disease.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/22/...t-attack-risk-study/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I never pay any attention to such diet warnings.

Eggs are bad – now they’re good.
Fat is bad – now it’s good.
Salt is bad – now it’s good.
Red wine is bad – now it’s good.
Coffee is bad – now it’s good.
Until they change their advice again – about everything.

I eat and drink what I like, in moderation.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A study from UCLA came out a few years ago stating the same. China is a little late on this one.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daughter took us to Panera (not my choice). On the sign it said something like "We don't use unnatural ingredients such as: ........, Lard......." Asked the young lady behind the counter "Lard isn't natural?"

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite videos...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ua-WVg1SsA

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Of course eggs are good for you. The WHOLE egg. I've never believed otherwise. If you discard the yolk, you're discarding the very best part of the egg which is chock full of vitamins and minerals as well as of course half the protein.

Arnold Schwarzenegger knew that. Over two decades ago he wrote his book "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding," which became my roommate's and my bible at the Academy when we got super serious about lifting, and he explained what anyone who studies bodybuilding and nutrition should know...that the egg is almost the perfect food.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

Subjects were asked how often they consumed eggs. Their health was then documented over a period of around nine years.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/22/...t-attack-risk-study/

...and this is why these "studies" are useless. It is just a survey. This same dubious methodology is why they have to keep contradicting themselves, it isn't a scientific study at all (where variables are controlled). This is also the basis for the completely unsubstantiated claims red meat increases cancer risk and heart disease. Makes the vegans happy and for some reason the FDA and AMA are on board with it, so much so that they completely ignored actual double-blind study evidence (from a controlled mental hospital environment with tens of thousands of participants) that red meat has no affect.

I do believe eggs are healthy and eat plenty of them, but not based on a survey!

Don't use the dubious and contradictory "surveys" and lobby/special interest influence (who funds these "studies") as an excuse not to eat healthy though. Without even getting into really contentious areas, we all know what is healthy; whole foods like meat, veggies, fruits, nuts. As un-processed as possible. Avoid fried foods, vegetable oils, most grains (or limit them), sugar (or greatly limit it). Fats should be from healthy sources like olive oil, coconut oil, butter, eggs, grass fed meats, avacados, nuts. Alcohol in moderation, keep your weight at a healthy level.

I bet the lard that Panera avoids is healthier than whatever industrial processed oil they use!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eggs are good for you..........again

They've always been.

Breakfast without eggs is almost unthinkable, along with bacon, potatoes, toast and butter, as well as salt, all that shit that is supposed to be bad for you.

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/mK5Gf2CS6u8

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
No shit? Well good, I’ll keep eating them

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The incredible, edible, egg!

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
3 Over easy please. Bacon, real butter, salt and pepper, home fries, good coffee with cream and sugar. Oh and a fork.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who the hell eats only 1 egg per day?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I average 18 eggs per week. I consider them to be a healthy source of protein.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I believe our own Dr. Goodheart has endorsed two soft boiled eggs for breakfast, and the dood dads to prepare amd eat them.

Not sure if those are autographed models, but apparently he believes eggs are ok, no need to rely on Chinese studies reported in the media.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Kinda funny this comes up today...I had three fluffy scrambled eggs with a touch of Parmesan and Cheddar cheese for lunch today. And toast with REAL butter...
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Daughter took us to Panera (not my choice). On the sign it said something like "We don't use unnatural ingredients such as: ........, Lard......." Asked the young lady behind the counter "Lard isn't natural?"

LMAO!! Sometimes people just wanna sound oh so [fill-in-the-blank] and all they wind up doing is just stepping in a huge pile of dog dung.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Yummy thread. Making mayonnaise from left over bacon grease using 2 egg yolks and will put on my scrambled eggs cooked in more bacon grease.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe our own Dr. Goodheart has endorsed two soft boiled eggs for breakfast, and the dood dads to prepare amd eat them.

Eggs every day unless too lazy to cook 'em. Then oatmeal or in cases of extreme laziness, toast. Ideally with Canadian bacon, and lately a croissant from the local and genuine French Oven bakery. Yumm.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
"Living" is good for you..."living" is bad for you! I think I'll just opp for living (eggs and all) come what may Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s interesting that a couple of guys made note of the fact that they had “REAL butter.” My folks used margarine when we were growing up, but that was one of the first things I changed when I left home. I can’t imagine using margarine and I truly believe that it’s much worse for you than butter.

Use butter, all the time. Natural products are always better than food products developed in labs.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post