SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Basketball gets chippy today. 2 Arkansas players with flagrant fouls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basketball gets chippy today. 2 Arkansas players with flagrant fouls Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Can't play, use thugball. Sad.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know ...

Not the worst I've seen, that's for sure.

Didn't watch that game - was there 'more to the story'?

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Didn't watch that game - was there 'more to the story'?

I watched the game, and there wasn't more to it. (At least from what I could tell.)

Arkansas was just getting tired and sloppy towards the end of the game, after three straight days of hard-fought tournament games.

Not the norm for this Arkansas team.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Chippy earlier in the year when UK blew them out apparently and didn't like getting shut down again.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Bush league shit like this is trickled down from the head coach.

Good to see that piece of trash kept holding his hands up, just getting practice for the future for his interactions with law enforcement.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
The screen didn't look that bad. It was a foul but not the worst I've seen. The other one though was complete crap. I don't know if he was, but that shot should've gotten him ejected and a suspension for a few games if he plays next year. That's no different than throwing a punch, IMO.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Weak. We used to see far, far worse in high school on a couple of the local outdoor courts. We have truly become a weakling society when this amount of contact rises to this level of outrage.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Weak. We used to see far, far worse in high school on a couple of the local outdoor courts. We have truly become a weakling society when this amount of contact rises to this level of outrage.

Hitting someone in the face like that is weak?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New game: Hockey Hoops

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
quote:

You must have grown up in a somewhat sheltered existence. For clarification, this is what it looks like when someone is "hit in the face".

The contact in those videos barely rates incidental contact in my book given what I saw on basketball courts growing up.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You must have grown up in a somewhat sheltered existence. For clarification, this is what it looks like when someone is "hit in the face".

The contact in those videos barely rates incidental contact in my book given what I saw on basketball courts growing up.

There's a huge difference between a street fight or a pickup basketball game and what's acceptable for a college level game. I'm sorry if you can't tell the difference. I'll be headed back to my sheltered existence now.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The first was flagrant 1 because the Arkansas player extended both forearms into monks chest on purpose, it was not a regular pick and intentional

The second was a clear intentional hit to the face of an exposed and elevated player

its not street ball

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dano36
posted Hide Post
I was at the game. Maybe this crap is allowed on the street but fouls like that don't belong in the college game.

Posts: 72 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a huge difference between a street fight or a pickup basketball game and what's acceptable for a college level game. I'm sorry if you can't tell the difference.
Of course there is, but that wasn't the point I was making. The punch in the face in the gif I linked to, is what an actual punch to the face looks like. What occurred in the basketball game was of course over the limit given the rules, but many here were acting like it was a street fight. Obviously it was not.

The current crop of college basketball players is populated with a large majority of illiterate thugs. And behavior like that noted in the game video will be re-broadcast over and over again by the media, ultimately putting more butts in seats for the next game. We are way beyond any sense of civility/integrity in college and pro sports so this is what we're left with.